LE ROCHEFORT - Harbour yacht from 1787 1:36 by Tobias (Monograph by ANCRE)

Witaj
Pięknie położona deska wewnątrz co jest bardzo trudne, kołkowanie super , kawał pięknej pracy Tobiaszu . Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
A beautifully laid board inside, which is very difficult, the pegging is great, great work by Tobiasz. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening colleagues,
thanks again to everyone for your holiday wishes. We returned safe and sound and on Saturday I got lost in my workshop, tidied up a bit and got my hands on Le Rochefort.

View attachment 396571

View attachment 396572

The first 800 or 900 tree nails have found their place in the interior and now I'm waiting for my new tool, a long-necked angle drill, to drill the holes in the upper section (about 400 more holes). The mast bearing has been installed and now I have arrived at the cross beams for the floor for the cargo. Since only the starboard side is planked, I decided to use single planks on the port side to create a support surface for the cross beams.

View attachment 396573

View attachment 396574

Thank you for your interest and there will be a new update soon.
Good morning Tobias. I echo all the other compliments- so good. Cheers Grant

@GrantTyler @Mirek @Bryian @Peter Voogt @pianoforte @Steef66

Thank you for your comments and to everyone else, thank you for your interest and likes.

Hi Paul @dockattner , in answer to your question, here is a picture of La Palme.

eZy Watermark_04-01-2023_06-28-50PM.jpeg

I use masking tape in the case of Le Rochefort, the nails are about 7mm apart and I used a 6mm tape which I tape to the centre of the frame and then drill right at the edge of the tape.

@shota70 to your question about the long-neck angle drill, here is a picture of the Proxxon WB 220E.

IMG_7107.jpeg

I already had difficulties drilling the upper planks with La Palme because you can no longer drill perpendicular to the plank, but it was still possible. With Le Rochefort I don't have a chance anymore so I had to get the new drill. It should arrive today or tomorrow, then I can show pictures of the model again.

I'm sorry to bother you again - but are the holes filled? Or are they left as open holes? The photo of the completed job looks like they are filled??? With what?

Paul everything no problem.
Yes, the holes are imitated with tree nails. I use a thin wooden strip of approx. 1x1 millimetre that I point at the disc sander and put it into the hole without glue. Then I pinch it off and when I have made about 5 ribs I sand them with sandpaper. It is important with this method that you always sand in one direction only, otherwise you run the risk that half of the small pins fall out. The finish is with 240 grit and stainless steel wool 000. A later sealing with varnish or oil fixes everything again.

Since I still have a few holes, I can gladly make a pictorial instruction.

Paul everything no problem.
Yes, the holes are imitated with tree nails. I use a thin wooden strip of approx. 1x1 millimetre that I point at the disc sander and put it into the hole without glue. Then I pinch it off and when I have made about 5 ribs I sand them with sandpaper. It is important with this method that you always sand in one direction only, otherwise you run the risk that half of the small pins fall out. The finish is with 240 grit and stainless steel wool 000. A later sealing with varnish or oil fixes everything again.

Since I still have a few holes, I can gladly make a pictorial instruction.
Thank you, Tobias!

Have a good evening everyone,
well Paul @dockattner asked today how I do my tree nails. Here I would like to show you my method. As already mentioned, I use 1x1 millimetre fine wooden sticks and sharpen them on the disc sander.

eZy Watermark_26-09-2023_08-55-09-7120PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_26-09-2023_08-55-43-0220PM.jpeg

Then, with light pressure, I turn the wooden nail into the hole and pinch it off.

eZy Watermark_26-09-2023_08-54-27-1950PM.jpeg

In the next step I sand in one direction with 120, 180 and 240 until the nail darkens. The finish is done with stainless steel wool 000.

eZy Watermark_24-09-2023_07-44-03-1510PM.jpeg

Today I fitted most of the crossbeams for the hold floor, adding a pair of planks on the port side to provide a bearing surface. This is not absolutely necessary as the beams also rest on the keelson.
A matter of taste, I would say ;).

eZy Watermark_24-09-2023_09-21-03-2670PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_26-09-2023_07-35-55-4200PM.jpeg

The challenge is to ensure that all the beams are the same height to provide a straight surface for the boards to rest on. Under the beam are the limber boards, to be able to take them out I have milled holes (2,5mm) that would be at 1:36 -> 9cm to be able to reach in with the hand. For reasons of space, the ring eyelets I had in mind are not possible.

eZy Watermark_26-09-2023_07-36-54-2300PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_26-09-2023_09-07-47-7680PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_26-09-2023_10-50-06-8400PM.jpeg

Thanks for looking in, see you soon.

Fantastic work! I am getting ready for some treenailing and decided to give your method a whirl on some scrap. Amazing result and so easy! A handheld drill, disk sander, flush cutter, a little sanding, and it looks fantastic. I tried birch vs. bamboo toothpicks, birch was noticeably better. They came out slightly darker than bamboo with some Danish oil and just looked cleaner. Thanks for sharing this cool, simple technique; I put my draw plate away.

Today I fitted most of the crossbeams for the hold floor, adding a pair of planks on the port side to provide a bearing surface. This is not absolutely necessary as the beams also rest on the keelson.

View attachment 396828

View attachment 396829

The challenge is to ensure that all the beams are the same height to provide a straight surface for the boards to rest on. Under the beam are the limber boards, to be able to take them out I have milled holes (2,5mm) that would be at 1:36 -> 9cm to be able to reach in with the hand. For reasons of space, the ring eyelets I had in mind are not possible.

View attachment 396830

View attachment 396831

View attachment 396832

Good morning Tobias. Immaculate. I concur with all the other comments Thumbsup. Cheers Grant

View attachment 396828

View attachment 396829

View attachment 396830

View attachment 396831

View attachment 396832

“Nice&Precise” as usual, Tobias. A lust for the eyes.
Regards, Peter

Back