Le Rochefort 1/36 - Build Log by Moreplovac

Hello Moreplovac,

Those are some nice samples that you got from Ocooch Hardwoods. I am planning on using beech from Ocooch. When I talked with Ocooch, they said when I placed an order for wood, mention that I am building a ship model and they will make sure they select wood with straight grain.

Bill

Hi Bill-R,

Thanks for your comment; I placed an order with Ocooch to get few boards of different wood I am thinking of using; already have some cherry leftover from other project and will build few frames out of different boards to see how they fit and to get a sense of effort.

This is a good idea to let them know about project..

Thank you.

Great Bill for sharing this info, it's very helpful.
moreplovac Coming back to your answer, regarding the processing of various woods. Well, I'm not a wood expert, but I know from experience that beech is a very hard wood and is more difficult to work with than, for example, American maple or fruit wood. Unfortunately, I can't answer how the bending or splintering of beech is because I don't work with it. As far as the processing of pear is concerned, I can only say that it is really great. I find Castello, on the other hand, more difficult to work with because it breaks more easily, especially when the wood gets thinner. With beech, I have found that when grinding with tools, the surface burns faster due to the higher pressure exerted on the workpiece. But as I said, these are experiences that you sometimes have to collect and find out for yourself. Everything I say is my experience and may be completely different for someone else, I might find one section easier and have no problems and another just can't handle it at all.

Great Bill for sharing this info, it's very helpful.
moreplovac Coming back to your answer, regarding the processing of various woods. Well, I'm not a wood expert, but I know from experience that beech is a very hard wood and is more difficult to work with than, for example, American maple or fruit wood. Unfortunately, I can't answer how the bending or splintering of beech is because I don't work with it. As far as the processing of pear is concerned, I can only say that it is really great. I find Castello, on the other hand, more difficult to work with because it breaks more easily, especially when the wood gets thinner. With beech, I have found that when grinding with tools, the surface burns faster due to the higher pressure exerted on the workpiece. But as I said, these are experiences that you sometimes have to collect and find out for yourself. Everything I say is my experience and may be completely different for someone else, I might find one section easier and have no problems and another just can't handle it at all.

Great, thanks Tobias; that is pretty much what I am looking for, personal experience and findings..

I have ordered few samples of various wood species so will try and provide a feedback.

Since I am in IT, I like various versions, editions, updates, bug fixes, etc...

1.2 version of a carpenter; 1.1 on the right...

Тесар05.jpg

Тесар06.jpg

Have hard time saving the hat out of being damaged during the work. Need to try doing it a the end..

Hands are also delicate part; I had to glue failing left hand..

Тесар07.jpg

Today I will start on version 1.3

Happy modelling..

I have received few wood samples, now, I will spent some time making few frames out of these (with exception of poplar, will use it for some other items), using different wood combinations.

I like to test various oil applications, cutting, sanding, carving, filling difficulties, some stains (like natural stain) to get a sense of end results and effort required...

Узорци дрвета01.jpg

Узорци дрвета02.jpg

Узорци дрвета03.jpg

Узорци дрвета04.jpg

Узорци дрвета05.jpg

Узорци дрвета06.jpg

Узорци дрвета08.jpg

Happy modelling.

Узорци дрвета07.jpg

Since I am in IT, I like various versions, editions, updates, bug fixes, etc...

1.2 version of a carpenter; 1.1 on the right...

View attachment 354067

View attachment 354066

Have hard time saving the hat out of being damaged during the work. Need to try doing it a the end..

Hands are also delicate part; I had to glue failing left hand..

View attachment 354065

Today I will start on version 1.3

Happy modelling..
wonderful carving on the figure Thumbsup :)
I invite you see my blog too

wonderful carving on the figure Thumbsup :)
I invite you see my blog too
Thank you..

Actually, your blog was my inspiration to jump into that area... :cool:

At this moment, I am carving version 1.4.. Still work in progress.

Hello moreplovac

The choice of wood is always a big decision and it is never easy.

When I started doing this hobby, I applied to the Croatian forum and people really helped me with their experience and knowledge, normally, the decision is always up to you because you are building the ship!!

Then there are several levels of model making, the totally realistic one or the more artistic one. Some like this, some like that, personally I don't like when it is claimed that one way is better than the other.

My wise men told me that some types of wood should be avoided because they have too strong rings( I dont know if this is a real word) for model making, so you can see this on the model.

They advised me linden( I think thi si basswood, beech, I personally also worked with pear and it is very good because it can be engraved well, pear has many colors, I personally had a reddish and lighter pear. I also worked with ash, it has an interesting color, strong contrast, it is quite bright. Linden is suitable for model making, but for me it is not particularly beautiful, it is easy to work with, but I would use it if I plan to paint the boat. I also worked with beech and was very pleased with the appearance.

The wood I was told to avoid is oak, unfortunately cherry, and I was informed that teak is very difficult to work with , same problem like oak, big rings.

I love the cherry color and I couldn't stand it and made a model of it, it turned out well and the color was beautiful, but what they said about the rings, they were right.

Before making the decision, I made samples of the planking and deck from various types of wood and treated them to the last coating to see what the final result would be.
After many years of ship model building, my favorite wood is pear wood. I like the texture, color, absence of pores, easy to work with. It gives your model a very realistic look. True, sometimes it comes with slight tone variations, lighter/ darker, but you can select tones for the various sections and avoid the contrast. Pear wood is expensive though. But for building models of the arsenal it is worth it. I never paint my models , so a good quality wood is a must. If you are planning to add some paint at the end for finishing then it’s not so important… go to cherry and save some money.

After many years of ship model building, my favorite wood is pear wood. I like the texture, color, absence of pores, easy to work with. It gives your model a very realistic look. True, sometimes it comes with slight tone variations, lighter/ darker, but you can select tones for the various sections and avoid the contrast. Pear wood is expensive though. But for building models of the arsenal it is worth it. I never paint my models , so a good quality wood is a must. If you are planning to add some paint at the end for finishing then it’s not so important… go to cherry and save some money.
Thank you Natxosailor for valuable input..

Cheers.

Back