Le Rochefort 1:36 build by Tony P

Unfortunately, I can't find the post in the French forum where it is explicitly mentioned that French ships were caulked at the stern and stem as well as at the keel. I have also just looked up the 74 Gun book and there is no reference to caulking of these components. Fröhlich's book also makes no reference to it. In the French forum you won't find a ship that has caulking either. Personally, I cannot say 100% whether it is right or wrong, but I trust the statements of experienced model builders.
Ok yes thanks. I’ll think on it. I have a long way to go before I glue anything up. I’ll fine tune the joints some more too. Im curious now what is the fact exactly. I’ll look into it more tomm.

Hello Frank, I have the German translation of the first part by Fröhlich which was never published and as far as I understand it, the caulking of the bolts and nails is meant here. I don't think it would make sense to address the subject at the end of the book.
Hello Frank, I have the German translation of the first part by Fröhlich which was never published and as far as I understand it, the caulking of the bolts and nails is meant here. I don't think it would make sense to address the subject at the end of the book.

34EABE58-00E7-4CEC-928B-E38D0F659301.jpeg

A50BD36D-77E7-4892-BFFB-6F34D15347A4.jpeg

Unfortunately, I can't find the post in the French forum where it is explicitly mentioned that French ships were caulked at the stern and stem as well as at the keel. I have also just looked up the 74 Gun book and there is no reference to caulking of these components. Fröhlich's book also makes no reference to it. In the French forum you won't find a ship that has caulking either. Personally, I cannot say 100% whether it is right or wrong, but I trust the statements of experienced model builders.
In my opinion caulking on a model more like a visual thing ,if you want those joinery to be more visible than caulk it ,if not than leave it natural.

View attachment 345192

View attachment 345194
Hello Tobias, just to give a fair answer to the question, here is the article by Maestro Boudriot. Whether the modeler does it or not doesn't matter

uuuu.jpg

Hello Tobias, just to give a fair answer to the question, here is the article by Maestro Boudriot. Whether the modeler does it or not doesn't matter

View attachment 345257
Hi Frank, I understand what you are trying to say. What you are describing and relying on is all correct, but we are in Chapter 7 Bolts and Caulking and in the next sentence it refers exactly to the bolts and nails that need to be caulked. I am not an expert but I interpret it to mean that the caulker is responsible for inspecting and caulking all scuffs (damage) and holes for the fixing holes.
The keel construction is described in chapter 6 and there is nothing about caulking.

IMG_0131.jpgIMG_0070.jpg

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I don’t even know what they’re referring to. The rear of the stem ? Notches at those locations ?
These are the so called "breast hooks"

We had a short discussion about the term etc in my building log of the Granado - please check also the following posts in my log

IMG_0539.jpg

If I am not completely wrong a top view of one of these hooks is also shown on the drawing (see red arrows)

18F53145-9FE2-4DEB-A132-CDB57E3D2B95.jpeg

Hi Tony,
would you be so kind as to mention what Length - Width - Thickness you ordered from Dave? I would appreciate it. Did he mill this for you in mm or inches? He says he can do both.
From the picture, it looks like different sizes.

Back