Le Gros Ventre 1/36th Scale - Monograph by GDelarcoix

CLB

Greetings Group,

I started this one back in 2019 (mainly the axial timbers) and after a few year hiatus have started building frames as of the beginning of August - 20 so far (roughly 1/3rd of the total frames. I am using swiss pear almost exclusively. The frames are simply assembled at this point and stacked. They all have some extra "fat for final shaping and sanding.

So far I am finding the larger scale very user friendly for my first plank on frame build. The total length will be around 46 inches or so.

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

Nice that you are going to build this particular ship, I have the same plans on the same scale, I will keep a close eye on your project, probably a lot to learn before I start my own construction in maybe a year, I hope, greetings Knut-

Great ship - great monograph (Gérard made a very good job) - and this will get also a great or better big model
The hull of the Gros Ventre in 1:36 will be much more than 1m long......
Very interesting and I am looking forward to follow your progress.
BTW: It is a long way to this stage, but dod you plan to install also the masts and rigging?

Thanks for the comments ! In 1/36th the hull is a little over 1 meter long. I do not plan on rigging/masting.

I also own the LAmarante Monograph - which would be a great subject to mast and rig due to its smaller size in 1/36th - could be my next one ! The carvings gave me pause on that one as a first Ancre build.

Thanks for the comments ! In 1/36th the hull is a little over 1 meter long. I do not plan on rigging/masting.

I also own the LAmarante Monograph - which would be a great subject to mast and rig due to its smaller size in 1/36th - could be my next one ! The carvings gave me pause on that one as a first Ancre build.
Seems to be that you like the designs made by Gérard Delacroix ?!?
Also the Amarante was made by him - very good and detailed for a very good scratch model
We have a also planset review in our special area for drawings

Ive been collecting Ancre Publications over the years - all the volumes of the 74 Gun ship, Le Commerce de Marseille, Amarante, La Renommee, Jacinthe and his latest Egyptienne. The reviews here are very helpful.

thanks th
Greetings Group,

I started this one back in 2019 (mainly the axial timbers) and after a few year hiatus have started building frames as of the beginning of August - 20 so far (roughly 1/3rd of the total frames. I am using swiss pear almost exclusively. The frames are simply assembled at this point and stacked. They all have some extra "fat for final shaping and sanding.

So far I am finding the larger scale very user friendly for my first plank on frame build. The total length will be around 46 inches or so.

View attachment 324735

View attachment 324736

View attachment 324737

thanks that you are sharing your work with us, Nia looks promising. Okay
I will join to the line of friends on the stand. good luck :)

I love it when the frames are forming small towers - and you get the first time the feeling of a growing ships hull

Greetings Group,

Hallo @CLB
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Le Gros Ventre going? Maybe you have an update for us?

Thanks for the bday wishes ! I do have progress to report. The frames are all assembled and waiting for final sanding. The construction site is finished. And I bought a new mill - which will come in handy for the difficult stern parts up next. I have attached some photos including the keel section, where the Taig Mill came in handy for the notches and cutting the rabbet.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

Thanks for the bday wishes ! I do have progress to report. The frames are all assembled and waiting for final sanding. The construction site is finished. And I bought a new mill - which will come in handy for the difficult stern parts up next. I have attached some photos including the keel section, where the Taig Mill came in handy for the notches and cutting the rabbet.

View attachment 339388

View attachment 339389

View attachment 339390

View attachment 339392
Better late than never, so happy birthday Birthday-Cake
Fantastic work:)Okay

Greetings Group,

View attachment 324735

View attachment 324736

View attachment 324737
Hallo @CLB
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Gros Ventre going?

Thanks for the BDay wishes !!!! Construction on the LGV is paused right now. We are doing major remodeling on our home so I have no access to the workshop right now. Its become more of a storage area right now ! LOL

Back