Latina .. Soleil Royal build

IMG_8335.jpegIMG_8336.jpegIMG_8333.jpegIMG_8331.jpegIMG_8334.jpegHi every, I am new to this forum joined a couple of months ago, and I must say it has been an eye opener to see the great talent by the members here.
A bit about myself … I am not really new to the hobby but it has been a long time since I have build a ship. 35 years ago I built a pair of smaller Latina kits, the bluenose and the Harvard. Then I purchased a Panart HMS Victory. Started the model back in 1991, framed her up did the first planking then got distracted by life and other hobbies. 32 years of marriage , 5 kids , 2 business 6 houses For manny years I built and flew RC aircraft, but that HMS Victory stayed with me all those years just the way I left her.
Well 3 months ago I decided to get back at it, and I have to say I enjoyed working on it so much that my wife decided to get me another kit for Christmas to keep me off the couch and away from the TV..

Wow. Welcome back to ship modeling. Your story sounds very familiar.
Welcome onboard to SOS and thanks for posting your build of Soleil Royal.
I will watch with great interest.
What you have done in 3 days is very impressive and looks as though you haven’t forgotten how to build.
Please post more updates

Hi mate
I got this kit about a year ago .
Looks great ,are you going to do her with the colours on the box.
Any ways I'll pull up a chair
Cheers snowy and good luck with your build .

Day four and I started planking the hull . One thing I did was not to glue the fore, Aft and mid decks. I am planing on adding some detail in the interior of the galleries and put some light. I don’t have any literature or any reference yet to figure this out so I need to do some homework

IMG_8373.jpeg

IMG_8372.jpeg

IMG_8370.jpeg

IMG_8375.jpeg

IMG_8378.jpeg

IMG_8379.jpeg

Fantastic progress, I love the Soleil Royal and think the idea of less paint and more natural wood as you showed in the photo is the better choice. I envy your Christmas present. Good luck with it and check the other logs on this forum for what modifications others did to the interior galleries for layouts and lighting ideas.

Don’t worry about trying to scratch build anything! Just work the kit from the box, have fun, enjoy the build. I am a kit from the box builder…maybe I will “kit bash” which means upgrading some pieces/parts for better quality. But in my opinion, most kits today are gaining in quality! So you are spot in…wicked good build thus far!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouraging vibe.
after a few days with this kit and taking the time going through everything they have provided here is a bit of run down of my opiNixon.
The good …. Quality of the wood and material provided is very good
the castings and laser cut parts are fresh and good in detail.
and that’s where it ends.
the bad ….. the 390 page introduction is well put together with tons of pictures but has no text in there at all
You are to follow a set of icons and figure it out
No scale drawings are provided at all on paper or on the disc, so basically you can not reference and measure anything for a 1000 dollar kit they could have provided some nice full scale drawings
As we know the scale is totally off not just in the length but also the deck spacing is just wrong.
The detail of the superstructure is just non existing the grading is way off, no doors windows or entrances to the galleries, all they have is a the basic 2 doors at the bow and thats is it, I have no idea how they entered the ship, there is no stairs going into the ship or any doors to enter the gallerie.
Artesania boasts on their POP and web site vidios that this is the most accurate representation of this ship , I am no expert but from what I see on the forum of the other manufacturers kits this does not do it for me.
So I have to do a lot of homework and modify this build.

The first 2 pictures here are from a Heller plastic build … and the last 2 pics are from a ZHL build..
which one is correct? I have no idea

IMG_5056.jpeg

IMG_5055.jpeg

IMG_5060.jpeg

IMG_5059.jpeg

Artin, welcome to the forums and have fun with your new present. I will follow your build with interest and greetings from Texas! Magic Mike

Welcome to the AL Soleil Royal club. Heller's iteration for the aft partitions is the nicest IMHO. The deck under the forecastle should be open in my opinion but that is a whole load of work.

Welcome to the AL Soleil Royal club. Heller's iteration for the aft partitions is the nicest IMHO. The deck under the forecastle should be open in my opinion but that is a whole load of work.
Nigel I have been watching your build with great interest waiting to see how you are going to handle the visible decks.
my guess is there are no documentation on how the actual ship was built because in the past week I have not found any answers
and another question is how was this ship steered because non of the pictures of different models I have seen could not find the wheel

while waiting to gather information on the Royal.. I started this little guy I picked up on Amazon for a deal
Occre HMS Beagle this should be a nice easy build compared to the Victory and Royal. Here is how far I got in the last 2 days

IMG_8380.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

IMG_8382.jpeg

Both your ships are looking good, but you should ask the modarators to help split the photos out into two seperate build logs.

It will help both you and us to keep up with progress or issues.

As for how does the deck look, what was on deck all depends on the time of year, who was captain, was she in battle or preparing and which year of her life the ship was in. All these variables can lead to a different configuration of the deck.

Now one thing to remember is most ships would have some curve to the decks to help with washing and removal of water. Just how curved you see depends on how accurate the manufacture is on the kit and scale.

Back