Lathe as a grinder. I recommend this solution.

Hello. I will share my patent. Today I accidentally used a grinding drum for a lathe. The 45mm diameter drum does not damage frames and sands flat and rounded surfaces thoroughly. A very interesting solution for grinding. You can precisely adjust the speed, much better than on a drill. You can also rest the frame on the stand. The effect is satisfactory. Slow speed, less noise, easy to clean and grind. I recommend this.

20231209_160126.jpg

20231209_160138.jpg

20231209_160206.jpg

20231209_160229.jpg

20231209_163446.jpg

This is my second drum from the hardware store, some German "Wolfcraft". The first cheaper one also wobbling when I tightened it hard. This one works stably for now, I have made today some frames on it. I guess it depends on how you get it.

It's definitely better to grind than with a drill, and it's more comfortable.

I'll look for a lathe motor or an incomplete lathe somewhere and I'll use it on a table grinder. The plan is to mount the motor from the bottom of the adjustment tilting table

Do you not have concerns of getting carborundum dust into the working of the lathe?
Just be careful as the dust gets into bearings and other bits… suggest apron and well cleaned / strip down regular. If you want an accurate lathe
Thank you for the tip, bearings are clean. Proxxon has two bearings and a chamber between them and the engine, and additionally a clamp around the engine axis, nothing can get there. Dust falls onto bottom rail by gravity. I've been using a vacuum cleaner from time to time to clean what is on the table. I'm more afraid of pneumoconiosis than of the lathe o_O

Oh My Goodness --- that is an excellent idea --- I have all the resources in my shop, but never thought to bring those together. Thank you very much !!!
As I am thinking of this, I guess you could have a small "Disk" type sander to to sharp edges.

"Necessity is the Mother of invention." I really like this idea. My first thought was :oops:o_O, thinking how does he keep the pieces square so the edges aren't damaged. Then I saw the piece being held on the tool holder. Is that how you keep the frame square while you remove the char? Your finished frame is very clean with very little material removed and with sharp edges. Very, nice work indeed.

Oh My Goodness --- that is an excellent idea --- I have all the resources in my shop, but never thought to bring those together. Thank you very much !!!
As I am thinking of this, I guess you could have a small "Disk" type sander to to sharp edges.
"Necessity is the Mother of invention." I really like this idea. My first thought was :oops:o_O, thinking how does he keep the pieces square so the edges aren't damaged. Then I saw the piece being held on the tool holder. Is that how you keep the frame square while you remove the char? Your finished frame is very clean with very little material removed and with sharp edges. Very, nice work indeed.
It's a matter of learning, I half destroy first frame.
Proxxon is small, two hands can rest comfortably on the table. You need to rest your hand well when sanding on the outside and rest the frame on the handle when cleaning inside. You have to do it confidently. I have made 12 frames so far, I still leave some lines for sanding with a sanding block. The engine speed is very low and the material is slowly removed with 150 or 180 grit paper. It is such a slow process that you can precisely remove a small layer. I also do rounding, it's just a test for now, but the idea is good. What can't be removed with the drum, I clean PS13 with paper stuck on the tape. You cannot clean flat elements on a lathe, it must be a rounded surface.
I would like to have a slightly rounded small disc for cleaning inside the glued frames, a bit wireless and without a drive ROTF
20231216_165044.jpg
20231216_164907.jpg

That is a great idea. If you have a lathe, of course. I have no room for a decent lathe, but I do have a vertical belt sander. I use the belt sander as a lathe, with dowels inserted into a 1/2" electric drill, to round and taper my masts and spars. I think I may start a new topic:

Sander as a Lathe. I recommend this solution.

Thank you for the tip, bearings are clean. Proxxon has two bearings and a chamber between them and the engine, and additionally a clamp around the engine axis, nothing can get there. Dust falls onto bottom rail by gravity. I've been using a vacuum cleaner from time to time to clean what is on the table. I'm more afraid of pneumoconiosis than of the lathe o_O
Replacement of the bearings is easy. You can use better bearings then the original cheap ones.

Hello. I will share my patent. Today I accidentally used a grinding drum for a lathe. The 45mm diameter drum does not damage frames and sands flat and rounded surfaces thoroughly. A very interesting solution for grinding. You can precisely adjust the speed, much better than on a drill. You can also rest the frame on the stand. The effect is satisfactory. Slow speed, less noise, easy to clean and grind. I recommend this.

View attachment 412894

View attachment 412895

View attachment 412896

View attachment 412897

View attachment 412898
Using any grinding or sanding device in a lathe is never a good idea. Grit can and will get into the bearings of the lathe and ruin them. All grinding is typically done in a machine shop in a separate room or far away from other power tools, like a lathe.

I don't understand the grinding problem/worry one a lathe? How many people use sandpaper to smooth your project in a lathe? And if there occurs a problem(I don't think it will be), just replace the bearings I did and total cost where under 10 euro incl. belt. See link post #18
These bearings are sealed, there is no way to them to get damaged by dust or grit.

Back