Laser burn, charr removal

Hello,

Sorry if i'm resurrecting old discussions about how to remove char from wood after laser cut. The only suitable answer I found here in the forum and internet is to use waterless hand cleaner and/or sandpaper. Sanding is fine to me but in the end the square plank 5 x 5mm with burnt two sides becomes 5 x 4.5 mm if not worse. I just tried using "Pumice Hand Cleaner" to remove majority of the char. In your experience, is it going to do anything to the wood overtime, color change, problem waxing, varnishing or painting?

Your thoughts and clever technics on cleaning laser burns, please...

Yuri

ps: here is the product i've used with the 6mm planks cleaned and untouched

IMG_2590.jpgScreen Shot 2023-10-21 at 3.40.08 PM.jpg

Last edited:
one way i use is to sand blast the char off, set the pressure at just the right PSI and you can remove the char and no wood and you can even carve with sand blasting. Maybe i should do a how to do that.

here is a real deal

air brush.JPG

i used my store credit from the Dory promo of 45 bucks and got the above a $169.00 air compressor, hose and air brush for under 50 bucks.

I've used "FastOrange" a few times. I like it and it doesn't harm the wood, does the work to certain point.
Then a little sandpaper "labour"...

Yuri, maybe you can do a "how I did it" video or photo sequence for the rest of us.
Hi Kurt,

There is no much to explain. Picture on the first post shows before and after cleaning. Nothing else was done to it, like sending or scraping. I left it for a while to see if anything will happen to the wood.

The steps are easy: apply the paste, wait a minute, wipe with the soft dry cloth, repeat couple times.
Wood doesn't get wet as it doesn't absorb the cleaning paste ( paste is not water based, i think ).

Three month after cleaning, wood didn't change color or any other properties.

Best,
Yuri

Sandblaster is an intriguing idea. Anything to look for in a compressor/sandblaster? Something small but quality made, something that will last (a brand(s) to look for). In addition, I'm guessing that can be port easily to spray paint with the right nozzle.

It's my understanding that lasers cut a v-shaped groove into the wood and that the edges need to be sanded for them to be perpendicular. Is this true for all or some kits?

Back