La Salamandre 1/96 by Miniature Arts [COMPLETED BUILD]

looking awesome. how did you curve the wales of ebony wood? also, will it stick with PVA glue? Cheers
Thanks
Ebony has a lot of fat and I feel that the adhesive strength is a little weaker than PVA, but so far it is attached without peeling off.
The thin ebony of the kit was easily bent with an outer plate trowel.
Recently, there are no more soldering irons for outer panels, so many people use the tips of soldering irons for art flowers.
item.1763.4.jpgirontool.jpg

I installed the planksheer rail, but it didn't fit the curve, so I split it to fit.
I installed knees on the top and bottom of the channel.
DSC_1076.JPG

Stern's decoration
DSC_1073.JPG

It's a difficult kit.
All parts require adjustment and cannot be made according to the drawing.
DSC_1077.JPG

very nice model. Can you see the details through the different layers? As I want to make it in the shipyard under construction, I am afraid not all the inner details can be seen. great work!

very nice model. Can you see the details through the different layers? As I want to make it in the shipyard under construction, I am afraid not all the inner details can be seen. great work!
you could make a horizontal cut along the wales - it is a trend ;)

Thanks for your comment.
It's certainly not very visible, but I think it's attractive enough as a structural model.
DSC_1084.JPG

DSC_1083.JPG

DSC_1082.JPG
Also, I don't have any images of the lower deck that I could refer to, other than those I posted here before.

Uwe and dock thank you for your comment.

There is an exhibition in 10 days, and I'm continuing to make it for the exhibition.
DSC_1087.JPG
The photo-etched parts are small, bounce off, break, and are difficult to adhere.
DSC_1089.JPG

DSC_1092.JPG

Photo-etched parts have nail holes and look cool, but they break easily from the holes.
It is difficult to reproduce the pinle (pin) of the rudder.
I cut a piece of wood and glued it on.
DSC_1100.JPG

DSC_1099.JPG

Your model is looking great - even your Salamandre is so small
-> it is definitely not "visible", that she is not 1:48, only half of the "normal" size

Subscribe, it's a great looking model. Very good craftsmanship. Nice color also. You said you applied paraffin wax, care to elaborate the technique?

BTW: We would be very happy to see some photos of the exhibition you will visit
Your and also the other models -> Please :cool:
I have been a member of The Rope Osaka for three years.
There will be an exhibition in Osaka from July 16th to 18th.
Although it is incomplete, I plan to exhibit Royal Caroline as well.
Also, I will upload the image of the exhibition.

DSC04340.JPG

DSC09637.JPG

Last edited:
Subscribe, it's a great looking model. Very good craftsmanship. Nice color also. You said you applied paraffin wax, care to elaborate the technique?
Hello Luci.

I used linseed oil in the past, but the structural model is prone to dust and wood chips and is difficult to remove.
Since paraffin is not sticky, dust does not easily stick to it, and by adding heat from the dryer, the dust on the surface dissolves inside and restores the luster.

However, paraffin takes more time than oils.
Some people melt paraffin wax and apply it with a brush, but I use a stick and then melt it with a hair dryer.
I apply it 2-3 times and wipe off excess paraffin when it's melted.

If you apply too much, you will not be able to bond with PVC. (Even if the coating is thin, the adhesive strength will drop slightly.)

Unlike brushes, complex structures cannot be painted, so it is necessary to paint each part.

Use paraffin wax with a melting point of 115°F (48°C).
Materials with a high melting point are difficult to melt.

DSC02993a.jpg

I have been a member of The Rope Osaka for three years.
There will be an exhibition in Osaka from July 16th to 18th.
Although it is incomplete, I plan to exhibit Royal Caroline as well.
Also, I will upload the image of the exhibition.

View attachment 383713

View attachment 383714
Thanks for the Info
Members of the association "The Rope" visited also the international convention in Rochefort, France already 5 years ago where I was also invited
So I met some japanese modelers already and were able to see there high quality models

especially the 1:300 model of the HMS Victory built by Etsuro Tsuboi was amazing - he was 82 years and visited the international convention with a group of japanese modelers - as I remember they made a tour through Europe, and basis for the trip was Rochefort..... it was highly interesting to get introduced...

Thanks for the Info
Members of the association "The Rope" visited also the international convention in Rochefort, France already 5 years ago where I was also invited
So I met some japanese modelers already and were able to see there high quality models

especially the 1:300 model of the HMS Victory built by Etsuro Tsuboi was amazing - he was 82 years and visited the international convention with a group of japanese modelers - as I remember they made a tour through Europe, and basis for the trip was Rochefort..... it was highly interesting to get introduced...

Thank you Uwe.

Japanese sailing model enthusiasts are old, and models are mostly dominated by Gundam and figures. Also, young people cannot live without mobile phones, and it seems that they spend most of their time on mobile phones all day long.

The international convention in Rochefort is huge and the works are wonderful.

It's small, but I'd like to introduce The Rope Osaka 2023.

It's the hottest time of the year in Osaka right now, but the view from the venue is great, and just coming to cool off is enough to satisfy you.
DSC_1180.JPG

DSC_1179.JPG

DSC_1115.JPG

La Salamandre managed to complete the display stand late last night.
DSC_1159.JPG

DSC_1157.JPG

DSC_1158.JPG

DSC_1154.JPG

Here are some pictures of other people's work.
DSC_1145.JPG

DSC_1139.JPG

DSC_1144.JPG

DSC_1167.JPG

DSC_1169.JPG

DSC_1165.JPG

DSC_1137.JPG

DSC_1161.JPG

DSC_1148.JPG

DSC_1126.JPG

DSC_1130.JPG

DSC_1133.JPG

Today is the Yoiyama of the Gion Festival, one of the three festivals in Kyoto.
It's a little over 30 minutes by train from here.

Last edited:
Back