Krick Grimmershorn 1/20 scale Motor vessel built by neptune

118.jpg
with this kit they give you moulded ports that you have to cut out of a sheet and paint the port rims, they also supply
the windows the same, I decided to use Brass port holes instead, but the problem was the biggest port holes I could
get were 20mm total diameter and the holes laser cut in the superstructure were 20mm, so i had to add a little bit to
the laser cut outs so i could attach the brass ones, see pic above, this still has to be bored out to take the inside dia
of the brass port hole,

13.jpg
The moulded ports and windows,

119.jpg
I purposely left a smaller hole to give the infill some strength for when I would be fixing them in place, shows the
port hole over the infill, I only have to do the eight large ports this way,

120.jpg
This is how i made the filling pieces, turned them on the lathe and then parted them off with a miniature saw,

121.jpg

122.jpg
and glued in place and sanded down,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john,

123.jpg
The next job was to shape the bottom of the superstructure to fit the deck, i had to take approx 6mm from the
centre of the superstructure and taper outwards in both directions to get it to sit close to the deck,

124.jpg
and the same on the starboard side,

125.jpg
after i was happy with the fit i sanded the superstructure and sprayed it with Grey Primer,

126.jpg
another view, she will need a few rub downs between coats of paint,

best regards john,

Last edited:
View attachment 275701
with this kit they give you moulded ports that you have to cut out of a sheet and paint the port rims, they also supply
the windows the same, I decided to use Brass port holes instead, but the problem was the biggest port holes I could
get were 20mm total diameter and the holes laser cut in the superstructure were 20mm, so i had to add a little bit to
the laser cut outs so i could attach the brass ones, see pic above, this still has to be bored out to take the inside dia
of the brass port hole,

View attachment 275712

View attachment 275702
I purposely left a smaller hole to give the infill some strength for when I would be fixing them in place, shows the

View attachment 275703
This is how i made the filling pieces, turned them on the lathe and then parted them off with a miniature saw,

View attachment 275705

View attachment 275711

thanks for looking in,

best regards john,
I have planned to do exactly the same. My brass portholes are in the post. Refilling the 20mm holes is a top idea (I don't have a lathe though).
View attachment 275701
of the brass port hole,

View attachment 275712

View attachment 275702

View attachment 275703

View attachment 275705

View attachment 275711

thanks for looking in,

best regards john,

Where did you buy those one from, they are just what I need for my Steam Drifter, they look very detailed,
Best regards John,
I think those would be great candidates for 3D printer technology, or check out the scratch-built one by Steeve @Stevedownunder in his post: Aft cabin skylight and vent. Part 2

I think those would be great candidates for 3D printer technology, or check out the scratch-built one by Steeve @Stevedownunder in his post: Aft cabin skylight and vent. Part 2

Hell of a lot easier to buy than make. :)

I had my eye on this model kit some years back. She has great lines and the additional hardware and accessories make it a really stand out kit. You are doing a great job of it John, I'm following with keen interest.

I had my eye on this model kit some years back. She has great lines and the additional hardware and accessories make it a really stand out kit. You are doing a great job of it John, I'm following with keen interest.
G'day Roger, yes she is a nice looking vessel and at a good scale, I'm enjoying building her,
Best regards John,

127.jpg
After one coat of primer and one coat of black satin, I stopped short of the bulwarks because i realized i had
not cut out the wash ports etc,

130.jpg
I used a small saw and needle files to cut the shape,

131.jpg
and a view looking down on the fore deck, I've also filed the hawse pipes flush,

132.jpg
next up were the wash ports, after roughly cutting them to size, I cut a small piece of wood and Super glued
a piece of sandpaper onto it, see next pic,

133.jpg
I then used this to obtain the correct depth,

134.jpg
I also cut another piece of wood to the same depth but on this piece i rounded off one side and then super
glued sandpaper to it as well, this piece is for finishing the ends of the wash ports,

135.jpg
The curved piece in use finishing of one side of the wash port,

136.jpg
the end after sanding,

137.jpg
and all i do is turn the piece around and finish off the other end,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John.

View attachment 237154
This shows the build up of the superstructure, everthing went together just perfectly,

View attachment 237155
this when you need a few clamps,

View attachment 237156

View attachment 237157
the only things that had to be trimmed were the window panels,

View attachment 237158

View attachment 237160

View attachment 237163

View attachment 237161
well this is where I am up to at the present, so things will slow down a little from now on, there is a lot of filling and
sanding to smooth and blend everything in together,

again thank you for visiting my build,

best regards John,

Phew, what a job those windows were. Lots of filling and sanding for Chritmas.

I have almost all small bits ready for paint and the hull ready for primer.

Attachments

• 20211218_150938.jpg
    20211218_150938.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 14
View attachment 276386
After one coat of primer and one coat of black satin, I stopped short of the bulwarks because i realized i had
not cut out the wash ports etc,

View attachment 276388
I used a small saw and needle files to cut the shape,

View attachment 276389
and a view looking down on the fore deck, I've also filed the hawse pipes flush,

View attachment 276390
next up were the wash ports, after roughly cutting them to size, I cut a small piece of wood and Super glued
a piece of sandpaper onto it, see next pic,

View attachment 276391
I then used this to obtain the correct depth,

View attachment 276399
I also cut another piece of wood to the same depth but on this piece i rounded off one side and then super
glued sandpaper to it as well, this piece is for finishing the ends of the wash ports,

View attachment 276402
The curved piece in use finishing of one side of the wash port,

View attachment 276403
the end after sanding,

View attachment 276404
and all i do is turn the piece around and finish off the other end,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John.
Wonderful stuff going on. I just replied to a post of yours I now see was June. I used to be Australian !!!!

138.jpg
There are four smaller openings towards the after end half way up the bulwark, to cut these out i first drilled two
3mm holes,
139.jpg
Then i drilled them out to 6mm dia,

140.jpg
Then I trimmed them across and finished them off with needle files,

141.jpg
So this is how she is at the moment,

best regards john,

Phew, what a job those windows were. Lots of filling and sanding for Chritmas.

I have almost all small bits ready for paint and the hull ready for primer.
Very nice looking model, and your pic reminds me that I have yet to attach the rubber mouldings to the hull, and yes those windows were pain.
Where abouts on the South coast are you,

best regards John,

Back