Krick “Alert” U.S. Cutter, 1/25 scale

Hi Jan!

I am convinced that the boom saddle in the construction plan of Krick were simply forgotten. Mostly kit models are only equipped with the most necessary and the builder can expand and improve them considerably with expert knowledge. Books from Howard Chapelle or Peterson show the ways to extensions and thus also improved models.

Best regards
Thomas

Hi Jan!

I am convinced that the boom saddle in the construction plan of Krick were simply forgotten. Mostly kit models are only equipped with the most necessary and the builder can expand and improve them considerably with expert knowledge. Books from Howard Chapelle or Peterson show the ways to extensions and thus also improved models.

Best regards
Thomas
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the reply. I'm finding that the kits rigging plans are very nice drawings but do not supply any how to do information. It's also good for a builder like me to do research on my own those steps, ask all the "dumb" questions and learn the skills and knowledge to complete those build steps.

Jan

Jan please do not interpret my silence as a lack of interest - rather it is a case of lack of knowledge. My best suggestion would be to take a look at how the Bluenose booms are attached to the masts.

View attachment 240359

View attachment 240360

View attachment 240361

I have no idea whether or not these will be useful to you, but here they are - for what they are worth.
Hi Heinrich,

Thanks for the response, I know you're incredibly busy with the BN stuff.

Those are excellent pictures. In the first you can see the ring or "saddle" on the mast above the belaying pin ring. Thats what is missing on the kits plans. Also the kit doesn't have a "Rigging Plan" so to speak off. The plans show various ropes, blocks and stays but not where or how to terminate them. So I've resorted to using the books on rigging that I've purchased. The last one I found by Petersson is a gold mine.

Jan

@shota70,@Jimsky

Thanks for following my build. I’m sort of hit and miss working on this. Have Doctors orders to stay out of sun for a couple of days. Overdid the allowed sun time on Fathers Day, but enjoyed every minute of being able to see my family and not having to wear face coverings to do that.

Jan

Hi Jan. I'm glad that it is coming along now. As to the sun - just say that you received an overdose of Vitamin D! I'm sure that 's not too bad a thing.

Hi Jan. I'm glad that it is coming along now. As to the sun - just say that you received an overdose of Vitamin D! I'm sure that 's not too bad a thing.
Hi Heinrich,

Yup the build is going well. The sun is a problem because of some of the maintenance medicines prescribed for me. It's a pain" to get up in the years and have to be cognizant of the aging process, it slows me down just a little . :D:D

Jan

More rigging research:

This step is interesting. There are no pin rails to hold belaying pins on either side of the mast. I’m assuming (dangerous thought) that all the lines tie off to cleats on the mast or the cross trees or the eyebolts on the deck by the mast

EC63FFF4-2590-4742-9205-2DC1ACAF2AC4.jpeg

So the theory is to follow Mr. Peterson’s sketch and tie off the lines to the deck cross trees, cleats or eye bolts.

Jan

Another “how do I do this”.

Two pieces to be joined together. A piece 1.75mm thick to be inserted into a dowel 4.5mm in diameter. A head scratcher indeed. I carefully cut a slot in the end of the dowel with my scroll saw and then sanded and the slot to about 1.5mm wide. ( I was very careful not use much pressure for fear of breaking something).

8C57BE23-6936-4829-B17C-16AF315C22F6.jpeg
Patience was the key, little by little the piece came together.

E5C1E6D1-E496-422A-85DC-795E4B399197.jpeg

The finished piece.

C02B0816-4B01-4E23-9139-29D9E1BAD77B.jpeg

The second one ready to shape.

Jan

Wow it was a little warm out yesterday, 92F/33C air temperature and 115F/46C on the pool patio. The Admiral thought that I should stay inside and find something to do :D:D

Who am I to argue with that logic.

The results of “having to find something to do”.

A1D6A539-D181-4D6E-A856-EED56C140BA4.jpeg

I find I really enjoy doing the rigging.

Hmmm, today is supposed to be much warmer than yesterday. I’ll probably have to “find something to do”.

Jan

Wow what a day. Vote needed: Pool or boatyard???

3F81CFEB-7847-4DB4-8537-C4AC635885E5.jpeg

My weather station sensors are on a post near the pool.

My admiral decided that yesterday's decision was just as good for today :D:D:D

Yup, that works for me. Off to the boatyard.

Jan

Back