Kit Recommendations Wanted

Hello. I am retired and have recently started building ship models. I have completed the Model Shipways beginner models, but was very disappointed with the instructions. Since these kits are marketed for beginners, I really expected a lot more detail. They were mostly written instructions, often ambiguous, with photographs. I had to guess at quite a few things From this forum, it seems poor instructions are a common complaint.

So which kit makers have the best instructions? I am looking for something in the advanced beginner to intermediate range. Not looking to build museum quality, just something nice to put in display in my home.

Thanks to you all.

IMHO:

I have found caldercraft by and far the best documentation . But all kits assume some sort of basic understanding. Unfortunately , as mentioned a LOT of the EU kits( Mantua. Panart, Artesania Latina have poorly translated instructions. I have found that Occre was the best of these. As said by Dave a build log / practicum is the best option. Pick a model and search the forums there, is aways a good chance that someone has a log somewhere.

For me also Jotika / Caldercraft have very good instructions and also drawings

you can check some of them out and download them from their web-page

The William and also the Pickle are very good kits to start into our hobby

and BTW: a warm welcome here on board of our forum
PS: and like Dave already mentioned, search and study building logs, and not only of your ship you are working, you will se a alot of hints and tips.
PS2: When you start your project, than it is the best way also to start your building log in a forum like ours....here you can get comments and hints directly on your model for actual problems or tasks.....

Dear Wmjw Why dont you jump onto gpm.pl and select a card model to start you off. I can thoroughly recommend the WAK brand models as they have excellent instructions mm perfect parts and excellent subjects ranging from medieval period ships to modern day subjects. Other excellent brands are Oriel and Angraf. Many accessory parts are available including laser printed cloth sails, anchors, chains, cannons, masts to name but a few. Scale range from 1/72nd scale right through to 1/400 scale depending on the subject. They have excellent mail order service as i have used them 10 or more times previously. If you choose a model a modeller previously would have made before eg kartonowki.pl , konradus.pl to name a couple. Select English translation and your off and running. Happy modelling Malcolm Armour

For reasons of my liking for English history I choase as my first ship model the kit of HM Bark Endeavour by Jotica/Caldercraft, a UK made kit.
I was not a ship modeller nor di I know much about sailing ship terminology before I began. Firstly the Caldercraft drawings are excellent, and the instruction booklet illustrates and lists all of the parts, so that you know what you have. Then they take you through the order of assembly in the same order as the drawings are numbered. As a model engineer, you can see what I usually make in my picture, I found the kit drawings to be self explanatory and logical.
The only other aids I had were a good and comprhensive set of tools as listed in the Instructions, and an additional book that I purchased was on the subject of Warship Rigging which proved helpful in understanding the functio nof each rope, but not essential to completing the model as the drawings really did suffice.
Thus in my judgement a Caldercraft Kit would be a good start and their kits run form a small two masted vessel to larger and more complex models with three or even four masts. I would recommend begining with a simpler and smaller model, since it will be completed quickly and raise your enthusiasm. Starting with a larger vessel is fine but keeping the constuction going, especially the masts, yards and rigging is a lengthy process and one's enthusiasm could droop a little with a large vessel. Good luck in you choice and use the help of members on this forum if you need, just ask.
You are joining a lovely hobby, particularly suited to the long winter evenings. Best wishes Derek Payne.

Try Lauck Street Shipyard and take a look at the various practicums listed. Practicums from beginner to advanced. Buy the kit…get the practicum…and not only do you get to build the model but you also get detailed step by step instructions, guidance and learning. Bob Hunt is an easy and smooth instructor and offers email support as you build the model. Lauckstreetshipyard.com. https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/

Welcome to the forums, as said, lots of kit have instructions that are good in detail, but hard to read or translate.

One thing might help is to tell where you are from in the USA, and maybe we have someone who is near you that can help.

What ever kit you choose start a build log and show us what you got done, what is causing questions and the grand members here will chime in with replies and help. They are the best bunch of sailors around.

Kurt

Hello. I am retired and have recently started building ship models. I have completed the Model Shipways beginner models, but was very disappointed with the instructions. Since these kits are marketed for beginners, I really expected a lot more detail. They were mostly written instructions, often ambiguous, with photographs. I had to guess at quite a few things From this forum, it seems poor instructions are a common complaint.

So which kit makers have the best instructions? I am looking for something in the advanced beginner to intermediate range. Not looking to build museum quality, just something nice to put in display in my home.

Thanks to you all.
I struggled with this as well. I had to finally break it out in two categories...warships or civilian/merchant. The workflows are different...all the infrastructure of arms, vs. different rigging.

Thanks to you all.
Look at the Model Space website. Their directions are very good and much can be found on You Tube.

You might want to take another look at Model Shipways. They have several model kits that have extensive and well written instructions or practicums. I would recommend any kit that has instructions/practicums by Chuck Passaro. All instructions and practicums can be viewed, downloaded, and printed even if you do not buy the kits. (To find the instructions for any Model Shipways kit, go to the ModelExpo website, choose the kit you are interested in, and then click on the "not-easy-to-find" link to the instructions.) Take a look at the New York Pilot Boat, Sultana, US Brig Syren, 21 ft. Pinnace, and the 18th Century Longboat. There may be others. I have built the the longboat and it was a challenge for me but not because of the instructions. The New York pilot boat might be a good start, and right now it is on sale for about $60.

Also highly recommend the Victory line from Amati - very good instructions and great drawings and awesome wood and fittings. Interesting subjects too! The Revenge, Pegasus, and Granado come to mind or if you want a huge challenge the Vanguard is a 1/72 scale 74 gun ship of the line, Lauckstreet Shipyard has a practicum on it as well….

Try Lauck Street Shipyard and take a look at the various practicums listed. Practicums from beginner to advanced. Buy the kit…get the practicum…and not only do you get to build the model but you also get detailed step by step instructions, guidance and learning. Bob Hunt is an easy and smooth instructor and offers email support as you build the model. Lauckstreetshipyard.com. https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/
I will second Lauck Street Shipyard. I am currently (slowly) working on the Caldercraft Bounty and while the instructions are clear the hints and tips in the practicum make for a more enjoyable build.

Thanks to you all.
There is also the Lauck Street Shipyard with DVD's ranked from beginner to advanced based on kits for sale in most ship model sellers.

Thanks to you all.
Hallo @WmJW
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks to you all.
DiAgostini has both great instructions but are also on You Tube with build instructions. The are a bit costly so chose well.

I agree completely about Caldercraft/ Jotika. Also Vanguard Models. The owner, Chris Watton was previously the designer for both Caldercraft and Amati. His instructions and models are first rate,

Thanks to you all.
Hello WmJW,

I have to ask, what do you like to see in the instructions? Some prefer to work primarily from blueprints, others like step-by-step instructions combined with lots of illustrations.

If you are the former, most European kits like Corel, Occre, Mamoli, Mantua, Panart, and Sergal will work because they usually come with many, large sheets of blueprints, usually numbered in a series to guide the build. This approach is best for engineers who know how to take measurements off the prints, cut and shape raw blocks and dowels of wood into parts, and develop their own series of steps to assemble the model. Below is an example of Mamoli's USS Rattlesnake, built using blueprints as the primary method.

s-l500.jpg

If you are the latter, model kit makers such as DeAgostini literally have an illustrated book of step-by-step instructions and no blueprints. You can assemble a model that is good, but not great when it comes to historical accuracy in some of the details, but produces a complex, colorful, and attractive model without deviating from the instructions. Below is an example of HMS Sovereign of the Seas by DeAgostini.

As-built DeAgostini Model.jpg

The DeAgostini model example is larger and more complicated and expensive ($1200) than the Mamoli model above ($400), so it is not an equal comparison, but the DeAgostini model is one of the few designed for beginners who need that step-by step approach, and are not yet ready to build a model from blueprints alone. The money you spent is much more heavily invested in the instructions than the materials than most kits.

Many model makers are somewhere between all blueprints and mostly written instructions. Before you even choose a model kit, you should ask yourself which style of ship and which time period appeals to you as a builder? In order to finish even kit build, much less a complete scratch built model, it has to be a vessel you personally find appealing. If you ask forum members here, we all have our favorites. Mine is early bronze-cannoned men of war, or "great ships" from the early 1600's which are really giant galleons with lots of guns. Other favor the more advanced iron-gunned warships of the 1780's through 1850's, which are simpler in rigging, and capable of carrying many more guns of higher power, such as USS Constitution or the much heavier and powerful HMS Victory. So what floats your boat?

Last edited:
Back