Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Beautiful work Paul. I can see how machine milling will produce remarkable finishes with sub mm tolerances, but I don't understand how you achieve such apparent fine edges with hand sanding. Your dental training, I'm sure coming into play here. Remarkable, I love it!
It's mainly down to the wood - Castello Boxwood is a superb close grained hardwood that cuts and sands beautifully. Kingfisher was the first model I built using this material, and all the edges are sharp - better than with Cherry.
Of course, skill with the sanding medium is also needed, and I would say Paul has got that in spades!

Ted

Just the smallest of updates so you know I'm still alive. Been at my office more than I like recently and then got sick (not THAT sick - but this year's flu is a doozy).

Added a few more pieces to the forward centerline. There are more bow pieces to be installed but that's it for the present time.

IMG_9295.JPG

Here you can see a bevel added to the lower apron:

IMG_9296.JPG

And the stem has been tapered from top to bottom:

IMG_9297.JPG

And these are the latest in my experiments for bolts. I was able to draw down copper wire in a jeweler's drawplate to about 0.41 mm which gives a bolt just under 2 cm (0.8 inches).

IMG_9292.JPG

Next, I'll turn my attention to the stern deadwood.

This beautiful joinery, Paul and I think you have their bolt sizes spot on! To me that looks very realistic and very much in scale - not something that is always the case in many POF models being built. This is a very good start.

Hi Paul,

the parts are looking excellent. But you don't need the caulking everywhere. Between lower apron, upper apron and fore deadwood it is normally not necessary. Have a look in your Antscherl.

If you do not want to use tree nails I would recommond you black monofil for fisihing. 0.4mm is an excellent diameter. For the keel you could also use bigger diameters. With boxwood I have drawn treenails until 0.6mm Thin veneer is a good source for producing wooden treenails.

Last edited:
Just the smallest of updates so you know I'm still alive. Been at my office more than I like recently and then got sick (not THAT sick - but this year's flu is a doozy).

Added a few more pieces to the forward centerline. There are more bow pieces to be installed but that's it for the present time.

View attachment 352600

Here you can see a bevel added to the lower apron:

View attachment 352601

And the stem has been tapered from top to bottom:

View attachment 352602

And these are the latest in my experiments for bolts. I was able to draw down copper wire in a jeweler's drawplate to about 0.41 mm which gives a bolt just under 2 cm (0.8 inches).

View attachment 352599

Next, I'll turn my attention to the stern deadwood.
Good morning Paul. You were born to build this Kingfisher. The caulking is perfect. The copper bolt test- how much does copper change over time? Initially it may be a little “shinny “ on the boxwood? Cheers Grant

Hi Paul,

the parts are looking excellent. But you don't need the caulking everywhere. Between lower apron, upper apron and fore deadwood it is normally not necessary. Have a look in your Antscherl.

If you do not want to use tree nails I would recommond you black monofil for fisihing. 0.4mm is an excellent diameter. For the keel you could also use bigger diameters. With boxwood I have drawn treenails until 0.6mm Thin veneer is a good source for producing wooden treenails.
Hi Paul, this looks very clean and accurate. I agree with Christian that you don't have to caulk everywhere, but it still looks very impressive.
Thank you gentlemen. I did note that Antscherl specified caulking for only below the waterline. But I wasn't sure where to make the transition - and what if that transition took place on timbers that were half under and half above the water? Anyway, in my inexperience I chose for the 'easier' task.

Plus, I enjoy the challenge of getting good joins - its far more difficult with cellulose caulking (thus, NOT the easier task :rolleyes:).

But now a question for you (or anyone). I was not planning on caulking the timbers on the frames. But would the same rules apply? How would you guide me?

Last edited:
Good thoughts Christian. Unless I read wrong, bolts were common on the centerline framing and then treenails in the frames? Or maybe I have confused myself with all the research. Please advise.

The copper bolt test- how much does copper change over time? Initially it may be a little “shinny “ on the boxwood?
Ahh, the question I too have been asking myself. My trials with brass bolts were even more shiny and I doubted they would 'age' over time. Uwe (@Uwek) used copper on one of his models and they appear to be slowly darkening. I would not like to try to chemically darken/burnish these if I can avoid it for fear of 'ruining' the blond box (yes, I have seen the technique of sealing the wood first but the results have been mixed at the macro level).

Hello Paul, as far as I have read so far and as I have understood it, only the areas that are in direct and permanent contact with water are sealed.

I would not seal your frames, i.e. joints. I hope that I have understood correctly what you meant by frame.

Back