Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Hello Paul,
great to see your latest build. Once you go down the path of plank on frame construction, you would not go back to plank on bulkhead.
POF ships make a beautiful presentation don't they! Let's see what I come up with.

Hi Paul!
The "Kingfisher" is a very good model choice and in the large scale and the beautiful woods a worthwile project. I look forward to following your build report and seeing how this large "board pile" turns into an attractive frame model.

I wish you a your family a healthy and happy new year.
Thomas
Thank you, Thomas. I hope you will be weighing in with suggestions and corrections. Your work has been part of the inspiration for choosing a build of this type. Best wishes to you and your family as well.

Good luck with your Swan Class Sloop. I like to build HM Sloop Fly, but in scale 1/36, as my next project.
I think you know the wonderful book series by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert about the class?
Hi Christian. Yes, I have the book series and will be using it along the way. With all your stored up knowledge I'm confident your Fly will be an impressive build. You are familiar with the 1:36 swan class ship under construction by @Giampy65 ?

Sure, I know the beautyful model of Giampy65. My own rconstruction is finished. Next step is to draw all frames.
In the moment I am busy with this step for my Alert/Rattlesnake project, which I will build first.

As far as I have seen you have the kit of Bob Hunt. On MSW was a few years ago a wonderful buildlog from Remco.

I don't know if it is possible with the kit, but if so you should build one of the later sloops as Atalanta (As build plans ara available at Wikimedia Commons) for example. Kingfisher had another frame design as the later sloops. If you'interested have a look at ZAZ4652. She has in the midship area only double frames.

But to be honest only people who are interested in the design will know this small detail.;)

There are many truly magnificent examples of swan-class builds on this forum and others. My attempt will be based on a kit (now discontinued) developed and sold by Bob Hunt out of Lauck Street Shipyard (as hinted at above).

Here is the prototype model created by Bob Hunt:

View attachment 348772

Attribution: this image was clipped from the documentation provided with the kit and is the property of Robert Hunt (shared here without his expressed permission – though this image can be readily found on the internet).

After the completion of my first model ship (the Vasa: a POB kit-based build in 1:64) and a small scratch build of an esping (a Swedish longboat now displayed in the case alongside my Vasa) I had it in my heart to attempt a POF build. I had previously purchased another POF kit but when this Kingfisher kit came available on the secondary market, I made an impulse buy.

I have since learned that for its time this was one of the finest kits available. Mine is kit # 078 and it seems only 100 or so were made. I’m not sure why Mr. Hunt discontinued offering kits for sale – but I suspect that market pressures from new mass-produced (but still high-end) kits now available in the marketplace made his handmade/craftsman approach economically untenable.

What attracted me to this kit was the fact that 98% of the wood supplied is boxwood (certainly not European boxwood – it is probably Castello boxwood or another variety). What I can attest to is the boxwood supplied with the kit is truly beautiful. There are more than 40 panels of CNC cut pieces of varying thicknesses (reportedly 2000 individual pieces though I didn’t count).

View attachment 348770

It took me about a week just to clean the panels of sawdust in the cut lines. I’m not complaining – cleaning and squaring laser cut boards would have taken far longer and been far messier.

View attachment 348767

View attachment 348768

View attachment 348769

There are also wood strips packaged according to the stage of construction (rather than by size) along with a small bag of photo-etch sheets, styrene bits and baubles, and other sundry parts. The carvings and cannon are provided as cast/molded resin pieces and time has not treated them well. I’ll need to find replacements.

View attachment 348771

The kit is designed to build an admiralty model (a term that seems to have a fairly fluid definition in actual usage), but for me it means that nothing is provided in terms of rigging (masts, yards, ropes, blocks are all absent) and very little of the hull and decking would have been planked (only above the lowest wale on one side of the ship, and only under gun carriages on one side of the ship) so ALL of the stripwood provided with the kit is seen in the picture above.

I have not yet determined how earnestly I will embrace the admiralty approach – but given the price of boxwood I may build close to the kit. Still, I have seen swan-class ships with completed hulls and the lines are truly beautiful. This might mean I will end up doing half and half (leaving the framing fully visible on one side of the ship and fully sheathing the other side). I am even less certain about how much, if any, rigging there will be on my model. Right now the leading contender is: not much.
Good afternoon Paul and welcome to 2023. An exciting start to the year with the launch of Paul’s Kingfisher 1770 log. I’ve been looking forward to this- no pressure ;).

Your “vintage” kit choice, research and what would appear to be loads of “scratch” work adds to my anticipation. Boxwood is my favourite when I have looked at various builds. Expensive as you said ( these little trees are in short supply and I believe take a long time to grow) however worth it for a build such as this.

I have my chair reserved up front.
Cheers Grant

Dear Paul
it's a great way to begin the new year with the marriage of your daughter and
such great model.
Good luck my friend with the Kingfisher/Swan class build.
I will join to other friends and follow with great curiosity :) Thumbsup

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

First all the best wishes for 2023.
Secondly congratulations with this milestone, the marriage of your daughter, that must have been a great party.
Third a second congratulation with the up coming start of your Kingfisher.

But now, have you already prepared Donnie that you start a multiple year project. He needs to prepare for additional server space for your comming 500+ page blog. Google needs to invest in an additional data center.
But at least we look forward to it.
I will be part of your boxwood journey.

That's what I call a flying start of 2023! First completion of the Wasa-masterpiece and now the announcement of the upcoming build of the Kingfisher, POF.
My expectations run high.
I wish you many happy research- and building hours!

Good morning Paul. I’m a littLe behind here - walking your daughter down the aisle must have been a beautiful and emotional experience. One I am looking forward to one day for sure. Congratulations it is a milestone in your life- you must have cherished the moment. I hope your bank account is not too brokenROTF. Cheers Grant

Sure, I know the beautyful model of Giampy65. My own rconstruction is finished. Next step is to draw all frames.
In the moment I am busy with this step for my Alert/Rattlesnake project, which I will build first.

As far as I have seen you have the kit of Bob Hunt. On MSW was a few years ago a wonderful buildlog from Remco.

I don't know if it is possible with the kit, but if so you should build one of the later sloops as Atalanta (As build plans ara available at Wikimedia Commons) for example. Kingfisher had another frame design as the later sloops. If you'interested have a look at ZAZ4652. She has in the midship area only double frames.

But to be honest only people who are interested in the design will know this small detail.;)
Yes, I have seen the AMAZING Kingfisher by Remco as well as Toni's (Atalanta) and Dan's (Vulture). As for building a later iteration of the sloop - I'm going to need to stick with the Kingfisher with the framing provided in the kit for this build. I lack the experience to deviate from that right now. Of course, we never know what the future hold...

Good afternoon Paul and welcome to 2023. An exciting start to the year with the launch of Paul’s Kingfisher 1770 log. I’ve been looking forward to this- no pressure ;).

Your “vintage” kit choice, research and what would appear to be loads of “scratch” work adds to my anticipation. Boxwood is my favourite when I have looked at various builds. Expensive as you said ( these little trees are in short supply and I believe take a long time to grow) however worth it for a build such as this.

I have my chair reserved up front.
Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant. No pressure :) - this is just a hobby to me.

Just stumbled across your new log. This looks like a very fascinating build. I’ve pulled up my chair.
Glad to have you in the viewing party Jan! By the way, your little friend Damian walked down the aisle at my daughter's wedding. His story just keeps getting better and better. Still has his bear in his crib!

Dear Paul
it's a great way to begin the new year with the marriage of your daughter and
such great model.
Good luck my friend with the Kingfisher/Swan class build.
I will join to other friends and follow with great curiosity :) Thumbsup
Thanks, Shota! Your work has inspired me to attempt my own POF construction. No clinker planking on this hull however!

Hi Paul,

First all the best wishes for 2023.
Secondly congratulations with this milestone, the marriage of your daughter, that must have been a great party.
Third a second congratulation with the up coming start of your Kingfisher.

But now, have you already prepared Donnie that you start a multiple year project. He needs to prepare for additional server space for your comming 500+ page blog. Google needs to invest in an additional data center.
But at least we look forward to it.
I will be part of your boxwood journey.
Yup. Donnie already sent me a bill for the Vasa build report ROTF. I was hoping to keep this one under the radar...

That's what I call a flying start of 2023! First completion of the Wasa-masterpiece and now the announcement of the upcoming build of the Kingfisher, POF.
My expectations run high.
I wish you many happy research- and building hours!
Thank you, Johan. The preliminary research has been fun but it's just about time to stop thinking and start doing...

Good morning Paul. I’m a littLe behind here - walking your daughter down the aisle must have been a beautiful and emotional experience. One I am looking forward to one day for sure. Congratulations it is a milestone in your life- you must have cherished the moment. I hope your bank account is not too brokenROTF. Cheers Grant
We have four children: two now married - two single but involved. This was our baby, so it was a very special (yes - emotional) day.

PhoePhoe ……… nearly missed the start of you POF-build, Paul. But luckily just on time to set my chair. The images of the model are promising. And with the scale 1:48 …… time for challenging details. :)
Regards, Peter
You choose a beautifull model to build Paul, i wish you a lot of fun and succes building the King Fisher
Oh my. The two master-builder Peters have joined in. Better step up my game Redface .

Last edited:
A new year Paul and we both have something different on the bench:) I hope mine will be finished before yoursROTF

I look forward in anticipation of what you achieve with this model. Don't sell yourself short, I am confident you will produce another outstanding model.

Kind Regards

Nigel

A new year Paul and we both have something different on the bench:) I hope mine will be finished before yoursROTF

I look forward in anticipation of what you achieve with this model. Don't sell yourself short, I am confident you will produce another outstanding model.

Kind Regards

Nigel
I'm looking forward to receiving your gentle correction and redirection along the way Nigel.

Hello Paul,

I'm looking forward to following along with your build. I'm sure it's going to be great.

Bill
Thank you kindly, Bill!

I am glad I checked to see if you were doing another log and didn't miss too much!! For sure can miss getting a seat to this epic.
Wasn't shooting for epic but we'll see where it all goes. Glad to have you aboard Rob!

32 shipwrights and counting have a watch on this thread. Paul may have to rent a larger auditorium:)
Ha! Mere family and friends compared to the oddly disturbing size of the Vasa following. I'm relieved to be slipping into forum obscurity...

Back