Keel Warp Question - Bow and Stern Higher Than Middle

Cutty Sark (Billing Boats BB564) keel warped? I’m about to start the build. However, the keel is curved from bow to stern, with the middle being slightly lower (keel vertical). Should the bottom of the keel be straight/flat?

Thanks!

I guess you mean the lower edge of the keel, or?
Here on my HMS Granado drawing marked with the red arrows
IMG_0646.jpg

Yes - the keel is usually straight

I built the Billings Cutty Sark many years ago. To straighten your keel you may have to cut it and then reattach it on a rabbit joint or if it's really bad add a new piece. All of my ships are built upright and pined or doweled onto a building board to avoid this problem. The photo shows the set up used for my scratch built Bluenose.

1664206994742.jpeg
Another problem that developed with my Cutty Sark over the years was that she "hogged out" due to her length and being mounted on a very short stand in the middle. Can't really tell unless I take her off the stand and hold it on a flat surface. I guess this is very true to scale.

I had a similar issue with an Endeavor J class model, after i had attached all the bulkheads i found the keel was bent. To fix it I used pieces of wood placed between the bulkheads carefully cut to length to straighten the keel, once the planking these were all hidden inside the hull

Thank you. I used two 1”x1”x32” straight wood, one screwed to a board, and used wing nuts/bolt to put straightening pressure on the keel. I placed the deck and planked it, but have not yet started the planking. I will use your suggestion to placed 5mm x 5mm braces between each bulkhead to reinforce the now straightened keel. This will give the confidence to remove the keel from the 1”x1” boards Thanks again!

Cutty Sark (Billing Boats BB564) keel warped? I’m about to start the build. However, the keel is curved from bow to stern, with the middle being slightly lower (keel vertical). Should the bottom of the keel be straight/flat?

Thanks!
Hallo @Bob WIllis
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back