Jabeque by Occre

Then jumped back into some more carving. Will finish this piece tomorrow morning

View attachment 428633
Good evening. Wow you are catching me up….well plenty cannons to do which take forever ;) . Your own scratch built parts do so much justice to your Xebec. Very nice! Your bell tower and pumps are so good. Awesome expression on your version of another highly modified Occre Cazador. Cheers Grant

Thank yo grant , I am having a lot of fun with this build it’s kind of nice to have the freedom to create my own version
Last night I was looking at some Amati builds and I really liked some of their features so decided to adapt them in my model.
loved the grates in between the gun ports so went ahead with it.
I made them flush level with the deck.

IMG_8590.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_8594.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Peter
tonite I came up with a different idea , a faster way to make my Canons. It took me less then an hour to mill 32 pieces. However the grain on the block of wood was all wrong. If I wanted them painted it would be no issue but wood like to keep natural so tomorrow will attempt another set with some oak

IMG_8600.jpeg

IMG_8601.jpeg

Thank yo grant , I am having a lot of fun with this build it’s kind of nice to have the freedom to create my own version
Last night I was looking at some Amati builds and I really liked some of their features so decided to adapt them in my model.
loved the grates in between the gun ports so went ahead with it.
I made them flush level with the deck.

View attachment 429154

View attachment 429156

View attachment 429160
Good morning. You have done a “ great” job on those grates;). I also considered doing those but just seemed like too much PT and I would never have cut out my deck as wellas you have. I also enjoy the grate by the main hatch coversThumbsupCheers Grant.

Thank you Grant for the kind words.
Well today I did my second attempt at the Canons, this time I used Oak milled on the long grain and I really like how it looks, however they are a bit to big so now I will make my 3rd attempt

View attachment 429936

View attachment 429937
Way to go. I also made mine a little narrower than the blobs of cast metal cannons which came with the kit. Yep the Cazador design gives little room between the cannons. As discussed on my log, it would seem almost impossible to operate these effectively the way the Occre Jabeque is designed especially considering there are oars working between each cannon. Rigging the cannons is interesting ;) . Your cannon looks awesome. Cheers Grant

Round 3 this time I made them with 4 laminated parts of solid walnut milled down to 2 mm cut to size and glued together. I had to jig up a rude thickness sander to get them down to 2 mm. Then get it into the mill and machine it and cut the sides on the saw. Let me know what you guys think

IMG_8613.jpeg

IMG_8612.jpeg

IMG_8614.jpeg

IMG_8615.jpeg

IMG_8617.jpeg

IMG_8621.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I put aside carving and did some turning. Installed the ladders made the handrails and put the Oar pegs on the ships boat

View attachment 431581

View attachment 431582

View attachment 431583

View attachment 431584

View attachment 431585
Good morning. Your stairs are great. It is a good idea to add the railings gives them character. Man you are really making this Xebec your own with all the extra carvings. Awesome. I think once mine and yours are done, I'm going to get pics of all the Occre Cazadors on SOS and make a gallery of how each modeler has created their own version........I may leave Peter's (@Pter) out as his craftsmanship is so good makes us all look like rookies ROTF. I see a Victory in progress in the background. Interesting my first ship was the Victory and now my Xebec....we have good tastes in model selection.ROTF. Cheers Grant

Back