Italeri FIAT MEFISTOFELE 21706 c.c. - help if you can :-)

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Well, I ordered the Italeri FIAT MEFISTOFELE 21706 c.c.

When I picked up the shipment at my front door - an uncanny sound of a lot of tiny things moving around inside the box - the awful feeling struck and as I opened the shipping box and also the Kit box --- well, apparently, the clear plastic box that contains all the screws opened up in shipment - needless to say, all the tiny screws were all over the place inside the box and even some leaked out inside the shipping carton !

After about 2 hours, I was able to find EVERY screw and put them back into the container. Except for one thing and that is 4 SPRINGS missing. I do not see how much the springs could have fallen out as they are much larger. So, therefore, I just think that it is just not enough quantity 'count' that they overlooked.
So, with that being said, I looked on eBay and found some .25 spring wire and thought about just wrapping my own. In the meantime, I went to Italeri to create an account with www.Italeri.com, but they do not even have USA as an option in their dropdown list - does anyone have any idea ? How can someone (in the USA) order spare parts if their site will not even let me register because the countries listed do not have the United States listed?

Open for ideas here.

write them an e-mail - I am pretty sure that they will help

The Springs are for the 12 Cylinder motor with 2 at each cylinder. (24 total)

Well, just for 3 springs missing, it is not worth the effort. So, therefore, I ordered a variety pack of SPRING ROD online that includes .2mm and up to around 1.5mm and I will try to make my springs.
I watched a YouTube demo and it is doable. I will custom make a mandrel that is 2.5mm in diameter (I.D. size of the spring) - the Mandrel will have a feed hole near the chuck (using a lathe) and then since my lathe can turn from 0 RPM and up, I will just hold the wire and let it feed for a while. Since it is a compression type of spring, all the coils will be wrapped next to each other while it is winding. Then when finished, the coil will be taken off and "stretched" to the length I need, and then the coil will have compression. Or, at least, that is what I hope happens.
I am not sure if the same type of finish or material that I ordered will be the same - but if not, then I have enough to make all the compression springs for the motor for continuity of look.
Well, I always wondered how springs are made - so, it's worth a try. Maybe I will make a video for those interested. You can also use a hand drill using a drill bit inserted backwards (that is with the SHANK end sticking out).

The metal will have some spring to it (imagine that) so you will probably need to wrap it around a smaller rod. Try a 2 mm drill bit.

That would be correct Corsair - I didn't think about that. When the spring relaxes some from the mandrel or drill bit, I would need to compensate for some of that release. I assume that is what you are referring to?

Thanks

Back