Is Testors Modelmaster Acryl(ic) paint back in production?

I was doing a search for acrylic hobby paint when this page caught my eye: https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/acrylic-paint/bottles
It looks exactly like the Modelmaster Acryl line that Testors/Rustoleum discontinued in 2020 except for the "ic" on the end of the word. Anyone know about these? The "find in stores" link only tells me where Testors products in general are sold, not where this specific line is available. Seems weird that Testors would revive a popular line with no announcement. Also seems weird that their web site would feature imagery of redesigned labels ("acrylic" instead of "Acryl") for something that doesn't really exist.

Interesting that I was just observing this last week. I was needing some enamel paint from Testors and I saw some headline from a Google search that Testors was bringing their "model" paint to a close due to "lack of demand" - which I find impossible - as the interest in model kits (i.e. plastic) has become even MORE in demand - not less !!!
If so then Testors must be out of touch with the hobby that is all I can say. Testors had put out a statement that they were only catering to "home improvement spray paint"
However, then (I have to go back and find the info) that Testors was coming back again (?) So, I do not know what is going on and I have to spend more time on the subject. I think Model Masters is also somehow connected to Testors - however, I am not knowledgeable enough to expound on this.
Floquil and some other brand has also gone by the wayside as well - I think that Floquil was for specifically for the Train Hobbist and the statement there was that "trains and box cars, etc." now can be bought pre-painted. Interesting - well - plastic models come with pre-molded colors(s) , BUT, still has to be painted.
To conclude, my wife works for Hobby Lobby stores and they are still caring the Testors Enamel paints.

Modelmaster is a product line of the Testors brand. It never went away, just the Testors Modelmaster Acryl portion of the line. They didn't stop making the Testors Modelmaster Enamel.
Testors also owned the Floquil and Pollyscale brands, which it discontinued in 2013.
BTW, Testors is owned by Rustoleum.
I've sent an inquiry to Rustoleum/Testors Corp to see if I can get answers. Fingers crossed and I'll post whatever I get back.

Sidenote: I just noticed that the correct name is "Model Master," not "Modelmaster." I'll try to remember that in future posts.

Last edited:
According to an article posted in Fine Scale Modeler magazine I found this comment. 1664047199292.jpeg

According to an article posted in Fine Scale Modeler magazine I found this comment. View attachment 330424
Well, that was from 2020. It's been 2 1/2 years and they still haven't discontinued the Model Master Enamels so I suspect Pierri's statement was overly broad. Model Master, as a line of enamel paints and other products, is, to date, still very much alive. All the other announcements from that time period specifically say only the Acryl portion of the Model Master line was being discontinued.
At any rate, my question was about the ACRYLIC line that Testors has added to the Model Master section of its web site. They are definitely not a holdover from the old Acryl line because the labeling is different.

I certainly do not know how they can claim a decline in use as there has been more modeling in the past several years than I have ever seen.

Well, I finally heard back from Testors/Rustoleum. Here's my query and their reply:

Me:
I notice there is an Acrylic line listed on your web site under the Model Master brand (https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/acrylic-paint/bottles). Is this the same as the old Model Master Acryl line that was dropped in 2020? Has the Acryl line been revived under a revised name, or is this Acrylic lineup something new? I also can't find any retailers selling the Acrylic line. Is it new and not yet shipping, or is it "coming soon?

Reply:
Hello Richard,

We appreciate your interest in our products. Unfortunately they are both the same product and have been discontinued since 2020. This is not a new product or anything coming soon. There are still store carrying the product, although few and far between, so we need to keep information on our website for those lines. We apologize for the confusion.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you
Erik J
Rustoleum Product Support

Back