Is Rockler T-Track Table Top

Has anyone used the Rockler T-Track Table Top, 20'' x 26'' and its components as a base for shipbuilding? Would it be useful for kits and scratch building? Is it a useful and quick alternative to building your own especially for scratch, fully framed models.
thank you.
Richard
1705325684298.png

Hi Rich, T-Tracks are widely used in woodworking router tables, sliding shelves, feather boards, miter gauges, fences, and other industrial and non-industrial fields. They are used to secure and stabilize the surface for the movement of the cutting tool. If this board is long enough, yes I can see its use as the building board for POF builds, otherwise, it may only be useful for POF section models (because of the short size).

IMO, this would be a bit small for most kits, but you can buy t-track by itself, and router the grooves into whatever size table you want.

I like this. I just checked Rockler and they have a 28" x 40" version also. The 3 tracks would give you more versatility.

Bill

46654-01-1000.jpg

Sounds like this might be a useful tool, especially the larger three track model. I would also have other uses around the shop. I'll have to price out the attachments I would want to see if it would really be worth it.
Thanks all,
Richard

I know that @Mike41 bought just the T-track for his scratch builds, but if you can find a table top that already has it then good. ALSO, you can buy two or more and join them together to make a longer T-track table !!!

Wow! I just checked the price of these tops. For their cost you could make several custom to fit tops with a sheet of 3/4” melamine plywood, some t-track and a router. Heck, for what they’re charging you could buy the router too if you don’t have one. Ok, rant over… Enjoy whatever you decide. ✌️

Olivier,
I looked deeper at these. I found out it is not just the price of the tracked table, but the components you need to use it. Even building your own custom the hardware you would need is pretty expensive and still doesn't match the utility of a table as shown in the Naiad or Swan books, or many of those created by our modelers.
Richard

Back