Intro and how to?

Hi all,

I have been building a Syren model for about 2 years now. I sort of let it go for almost 8 months but am back to working on it steadily. I am also a woodworking hobbyist and love the woodworking detail of the models. Frustrated some times with the scale and my inability to make my fingers do what they need to do, but overall very happy with the results. Although I have some questions regarding things that just seem impossible to make. I am having problems figuring out how to make a rope coil that looks good. The best I've done is wrap a length of thread (.008) around a 1/8" bit and apply a little CA to one side. That shapes it and keeps it together until I can lay it in position. I make several wraps around the shaft and cut off the length I need. What is the process for the hanging coils that would attach to the rigging cleats? I still have that to figure out. Thinking of using some spray starch to hold the shape. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Happy to find this forum to discuss issues and talk with folks with like interests. Looking forward to hearing more from ya'll.

Chcek out the general info and help pages, lots of info there on your subjects of interest.

I have heard that if you dilute white glue (PVA) about 1:1 and soak you thread before making loops and then letting them hang and dry they come out nice looking.

Let us know where your from, we have lots of folks about the USA and someone may be near you.

Click on your profile and select account details and there is spot to add location info as you wish.

Welcome to the forums !

I would put 2 small rods stuck into a piece of wood to wrap the line around to give it the shape you want, rather than making a round coil and then shaping it.
When you have it on the 2 rods, you can dilute some white glue with water and brush it on to make it hold its shape.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Welcome to the forums !

I would put 2 small rods stuck into a piece of wood to wrap the line around to give it the shape you want, rather than making a round coil and then shaping it.
When you have it on the 2 rods, you can dilute some white glue with water and brush it on to make it hold its shape.

Hope that helps!

Jeff
Thx good advice

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
Maybe you show us your model once or also your working process in a building log

Welcome to the forums !

Hope that helps!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I'm going to try that.

Welcome!
I’ve found if you wax your line with beeswax it will hold its shape better. But I’ve also tried the diluted PVA option as well. I have also gotten ideas from various YouTube channels since I seem to be a more visual learner. Good luck and fair sailing!

Hi......The following link is a mesmerizing video of cannon rig construction.
. I built the Syren and opted to leave the cannon rigging more natural like you see on the real museum ships. The flemish coils looked too much like the ship was getting ready for an Admirals inspection. I wanted a look less formal

Welcome!
I’ve found if you wax your line with beeswax it will hold its shape better. But I’ve also tried the diluted PVA option as well. I have also gotten ideas from various YouTube channels since I seem to be a more visual learner. Good luck and fair sailing!
Thx, that might be the best idea. I've seen some videos using a product called mogpog. I think it is a type of glue that is used in creating paper machete.

Thx, that might be the best idea. I've seen some videos using a product called mogpog. I think it is a type of glue that is used in creating paper machete.
I tried Mod Podge as well as it’s used extensively in the model railroad hobby for installing landscaping and such. Personally I find it too sticky and tacky.

Hi......The following link is a mesmerizing video of cannon rig construction.
. I built the Syren and opted to leave the cannon rigging more natural like you see on the real museum ships. The flemish coils looked too much like the ship was getting ready for an Admirals inspection. I wanted a look less formal
This is really amazing. So many ideas in one short video. Would have liked to see this before. The Syren is my first build, so I'm relying on the book and my own ingenuity to figure things out. The book isn't bad, but it doesn't give you the minute details. I probably got a more advanced project than I should have to start.

Back