Installing yards: top down or bottom up?

I am starting to install the yards on my Soleil Royal and was wondering if the best approach is top dow or bottom up.
I feel that top down makes more sense since you start with the small yard and have more space to work

I'd appreciate your input and ideas.

I am starting to install the yards on my Soleil Royal and was wondering if the best approach is top dow or bottom up.
I feel that top down makes more sense since you start with the small yard and have more space to work

Hi Gilbertm, in my small way I would like to be of help but I can't understand some words

Bottom up, easier to align them. Lower are also the most complicated with parrels etc. Also go mast to mast, all lower, then middle then top. I normally drill & pin yards then drill location on mast and pin in place.

Bottom to top. You've probably thought of this, but be sure to add any blocks, eyebolts, studding gear, jackstays and foot ropes before you install the yards. Look at all of the plans. On my POB, some of these items show up in one drawing, not others

In my experience I have found going bottom to top more helpful. The lower yards are usually more complex than the upper yards thus being able to rig them without the additional rigging of the upper yards makes things a lot easier. My default pattern these days is bottom up and front to back…

In my experience I have found going bottom to top more helpful. The lower yards are usually more complex than the upper yards thus being able to rig them without the additional rigging of the upper yards makes things a lot easier. My default pattern these days is bottom up and front to back…
Jim, Paul
Thanks for your input
This is what I am doing. SO all good :)

I always install the shrouds and stays first especially if ratlines are required. When doing ratlines you need all the free space you can get! You do not want to be weaving ratlines by poking your fingers and tweezers around and through running rigging. When in doubt, think of how a real ship would be rigged…the shrouds and stays are fixed. Yards and running rigging can be removed as needed thus often the attached rigging needs to be threaded around and through the fixed rigging.

1. Bottom up. It is next to impossible to rig top down.
2. The same for the standing rigging.

Back