Input on next build

Next build input. See my thoughts in post below poll.

• 1. Bonhomme Richard Cross Section in Pear by ZHL, Scale 1:48, Cost $566

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 2. HMS Granado in Cherry, Maple, Boxwood by CAF, Scale 1:48, Cost $420

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I am debating between two ideas for a next build, to be displayed below my scratch build of HMS Serapis:

1. HMS Granado 1:48, by CAF in Cherry, Maple and Boxwood. I am intrigued by the unique challenges associated with a cut hull model like Uwe is working on.
2. USS Bonhomme Richard 1:48, by ZHL in pear cross section. I think the battle between Serapis and the Bonhomme Richard would make an interesting wall display. The quality/detail apparent in this kit are incredible, as evident in Yuri's recent build log.

I plan to use the wall space below the Serapis to display this next build: See attached photo.

a. I believe the Granado (being smaller) would nest nicely under the Serapis, in a glass case, on another shorter live edge slab.
b. I believe the Bonhomme Richard could be placed under an octagonal glass case, set on a rotating "Lazy Susan" base. Also under the Serapis, on another shorter live edge slab.

Brown Door.jpg

I would make the same length of the board and show both of the mentioned models - you will come appr. to the same total length

I can fully recommend both of the mentioned models -

Be aware, that the Granado full model is more expensive than the mentioned price of 420 (this is only for the first part)

Thanks Uwe, I'll have to search more for the full Granado model. I like the idea of both, each are beautiful, but my mind is two simple to have two projects at once, so one must come first!

Two completely different models. I've built the Bonhomme Richard cross section, and just loved it. I'm considering the 1/48 Blandford ($988 from DryDock), but don't know that I could handle it, although I'm certain you could, having done a similar scratch build.

Last edited:
Signet, which Granada is that? Do you have a link? I’m only familiar with the CAF kit

Signet, which Granada is that? Do you have a link? I’m only familiar with the CAF kit
My error. It's the Blandford mortar ship I was thinking of. I keep getting confused between the Blandford and the Granado for some reason. The Blandford actually makes up into a somewhat larger model (same scale) and looks real good too. Not sure which is best/easiest/etc.

My error. It's the Blandford mortar ship I was thinking of. I keep getting confused between the Blandford and the Granado for some reason. The Blandford actually makes up into a somewhat larger model (same scale) and looks real good too. Not sure which is best/easiest/etc.
The Blandford was originally no mortar or bomb vessel, only a short time during her career - I know, the kit contents one mortar, so you can build the Blandford as a mortar, but normally these ships were 20-gunner

Back