initial Soleil royal using the heller 1/100 scale kit (post prepared in advance)

Gunport lid linings have been a feature of port lids for as long as port lids have been a thing. Here, you can see them on the Vasa:

240C2D98-A74F-4D26-A1CA-D221E5B547CF.jpeg

And on the Dauphin Royal of 1668:

82FA1FDF-15E5-4AE3-A2F3-119842CF9495.jpeg

And the Monarque of 1668:

DCC3432D-2324-4CB3-8C83-93C3E68A616E.jpeg

The lid linings serve two purposes: they are nailed at 90 degrees to the exterior lid planking, thus binding the planking together. The rebate they create also serves as a gasket that the interior port lining fits into.

Will you replace them with somethng? will you syrface cut some planking on it?

But will you do the planking before? or you just won't do that? Do you have a design?

Result of this weekend work on the quarter gallery, still haven't cut myself yet.
View attachment 353203
As i am not long started this build i am wondering if there is a special tool for cutting out these side galleries as I have a dremel and a few other tools or is it just a modellers knife that's needed ?
Thanks for any relevant info you can provide on this.
Rob.

Hi; if you have an exacto knife, the small one it will do just fine. All you need is to be carefull because the first cuts are easier but as you get to the last ones the gallery piece gets weaker and very flimsy in places like the support ends. Try not to be precise and leave a tiny bit of material at first then slowly scrape the excess after; that will give you a more precise final product. A modellers knife will do the same job provided the blade is new, or almost.....If you want to go as far as piercing the sculpted part on the middle gallery, use a tiny drill mesh and pinch it to a small locking plier, then turn slowly in all the spots you want to get opened up; then use the point of your knife, or exacto ot remove the excess plastic and shape the empty space. It does take some patience and some dexterity, but it is all worth it in the end. You can also carve the designs which were removed from the gallery piece and glue them back on the inside... Then if you feel ok with it, use some thin balsa wood to make the floors inside the galleries and whatever else you wish to show:)

IMG_4853.JPG

IMG_4855.JPG

IMG_4856.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

Hi; if you have an exacto knife, the small one it will do just fine. All you need is to be carefull because the first cuts are easier but as you get to the last ones the gallery piece gets weaker and very flimsy in places like the support ends. Try not to be precise and leave a tiny bit of material at first then slowly scrape the excess after; that will give you a more precise final product. A modellers knife will do the same job provided the blade is new, or almost.....If you want to go as far as piercing the sculpted part on the middle gallery, use a tiny drill mesh and pinch it to a small locking plier, then turn slowly in all the spots you want to get opened up; then use the point of your knife, or exacto ot remove the excess plastic and shape the empty space. It does take some patience and some dexterity, but it is all worth it in the end. You can also carve the designs which were removed from the gallery piece and glue them back on the inside... Then if you feel ok with it, use some thin balsa wood to make the floors inside the galleries and whatever else you wish to show:)

View attachment 385830

View attachment 385831

View attachment 385832

View attachment 385833
Hi Guy

Thanks very much that's the kind of information I was looking for. Yes I have a small Exacto/modellers knife with several excess blades too. I have also purchased a whole load of brass goodies like Fleur de lys and Lion heads which I intend to use to some extent as well on the Gun port Hatches etc..
Btw Your work is absolutely superb mate.

All the best
Rob.

Hi Guy

Thanks very much that's the kind of information I was looking for. Yes I have a small Exacto/modellers knife with several excess blades too. I have also purchased a whole load of brass goodies like Fleur de lys and Lion heads which I intend to use to some extent as well on the Gun port Hatches etc..
Btw Your work is absolutely superb mate.

All the best
Rob.
Why lion heads?:))
I only managed to finish one side through all that time because I kept looking for information on what that ship could have looked like in 1671; I ende up making a 105 page document onthe research...I had begun wit the idea of making a 10 page summary:)))
This is what one side looks like...The document is in French, if you can read French I'll send it to you....

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

Why lion heads?:))
I only managed to finish one side through all that time because I kept looking for information on what that ship could have looked like in 1671; I ende up making a 105 page document onthe research...I had begun wit the idea of making a 10 page summary:)))
This is what one side looks like...The document is in French, if you can read French I'll send it to you....

View attachment 385845

View attachment 385846
Hi Guy

I picked out lions heads as well as some other things as these were part of the Baroque era, albeit I'm not sure whether we will exactly know what ship was like in 1671.
I do not read French Guy but would so like you to send me the document as I could easily translate it bit by bit through Google

All the best
Rob.

Sure:) I think you'll be able to decifer the good parts:) if you have questions about it, ask me and I will explain what I meant....

Attachments

• Copy of SOLEIL ROYAL (4).pdf
    17.5 MB · Views: 23
I don't speak a word of French, but I took the time to translate this as best I could using a translator because it is such a great document. Thanks GuyM!
It took me a while to understand that "herpes" in French means "headrails" in English, not that particularly nasty venereal disease. . . :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal in English.pdf
    8.1 MB · Views: 23
I don't speak a word of French, but I took the time to translate this as best I could using a translator because it is such a great document. Thanks GuyM!
It took me a while to understand that "herpes" in French means "headrails" in English, not that particularly nasty venereal disease. . . :rolleyes:
Thank you very much for translating this Dariv :)

View attachment 385830

View attachment 385831

View attachment 385832

View attachment 385833
Just started the Small steps...
Thank you

20230721_091223.jpg

Back