initial Soleil royal using the heller 1/100 scale kit (post prepared in advance)

who said it was a British ship? The flag says it all.......That is a drawing ofthe post 1676 Royal Louis and the original drawing is a black and white depiction.....But the Royal Louis was used as a ponton late in its life, just before the 1692 version of it was laid down....

Well, as he says; hand colored... and his information is wrong....Maybe the article meant that the illustration came from a naval English book or document and this peson didn't read all of the article which would have mentioned that it was a French ship.....

A nicely done what if in my opinion, I liked the scratched building over the hull. I'm now verry tempted to get the phénix this weekend(unsure my dad will say yes tho), due to its fictious nature, one can have some fun with the sculpture (polychrome per example) and colors and I'm not obligated to correct/detail everything. I won't open any portlid on this one tho.
P1090076-1.JPG

source: http://hellerpassionmaquettes.blogspot.com/2007_10_31_archive.html
Here's the result of this weekend and today work on the gun carriages for the A and B gun of the 3rd battery(I'm not going to open all of them and no lost parts so far). I choosed not to detail the 3rd and 2nd batteries guns outside of enlarging them because it won't be much visible.
DSC_7438.jpg
DSC_7439.jpg
DSC_7440.jpg

Yes, but maybe you should focus on the model you have; if you start spreading yourself out, you'll lose the motivation of finishing this one.
Besides, there will be Phenix kits for a long while to come:))))

When I get kit, I don't have the tendency to start right away (tho it depend). I wonder, do you think the windows on the "chambre des volontaires" drawings are larger than what heller/tanneron did? If yes, how much larger? If I take the heller breadth, it's 1cm, wich would give 5mm for the half panel/window, the heller panel give 4, not sure it'd be worth it to enlarge for just a mm.
Edit: Forgot to ask what are the differences between part 122 and 123 because I don't see them, I classified them, but messed up putting the wrong cariages in my cup by not looking at wich one I was putting them in only seeing my mistake too late.

Last edited:
When I get kit, I don't have the tendency to start right away (tho it depend). I wonder, do you think the windows on the "chambre des volontaires" drawings are larger than what heller/tanneron did? If yes, how much larger? If I take the heller breadth, it's 1cm, wich would give 5mm for the half panel/window, the heller panel give 4, not sure it'd be worth it to enlarge for just a mm.
Edit: Forgot to ask what are the differences between part 122 and 123 because I don't see them, I classified them, but messed up putting the wrong cariages in my cup by not looking at wich one I was putting them in only seeing my mistake too late.
As far as I know two adjancent numbers usually mean inner and outer, or right and left.... you would need to compare the fixation holes....

noticed that, tho the gun carriages seem identical once build. I asked on the windows and panel dimension because I want to do a scheme tonight.

I'm not sure I get what you're asking; but there are no dimensions available besides you measuring them from the drawing, then with the measure of the ceiling at the bottom, scale them, then reduce them to 1/100 and compare; as for those side windows, or panels, there is no
information on what they are....Windows, panels, or false windows ( painted windows) as was frequently done in the days...

Instead of working on the gun cariages (coming back at them tomerow), I worked on the africa/america figures provided by the kit. I removed the molding line and injection pins and glued the arms (tho I'm not a 100% sure it's the right angle, I had to use pics of tanneron soleil royal and a heller soleil royal a member of my club did).
DSC_7441.jpg
DSC_7442.jpg
I wonder if there can't be some touches of red on the quarter galleries too, per example, on the pillasters, like on the stern façade one.

Last edited:
The inserts inside the gallerie pillars can also be red as the window pillars on the stern façade.... but it depends which one you want to make; the rebuilt version had more red, as proposed in the document I sent you...

I 'll do the stern façade partially inspired by the one you did. I think it'd be more logical to have red on the pillars of the quarter galleries if it's also on the stern façade (the only part of the quarter gallery I intend to do red with the arch inside it.

But remember that only the inside ones would be red not the outer ones....

Yep, on the figures, would you reccomand painting them after or before gluying them on the quarter galleries?

Yep, on the figures, would you reccomand painting them after or before gluying them on the quarter galleries?
I would paint them with a brown base coat, then fix them where they should be; it will be easier to then only paint the observable serfaces and leave the darker idden places flat brown; the brown also acts as a primer...

Back