initial Soleil royal using the heller 1/100 scale kit (post prepared in advance)

Very niceè but bare in mind that the color hues varied within that period. One example is the ''azur blue'' which cme during the 1700's

The result of saturday work at a meeting of the modelism club I'm in. Someone managed to do the soleil royal in 9 months , so it's possible to do it in less than a year, but since I already take more than 2 for a eduard bf 109 F2, I expect it to be long.
A lot of flash on the foward third battery part.
DSC_7417.jpg
DSC_7418.jpg
DSC_7421.jpg
DSC_7422.jpg

It's not a race.... Or I would have lost quite a while ago:)
The main importance is to work on it when you are inspired, so that the best work comes out; when you don't feel, or have the time for it, just don't work on it......
I don't intend this to be a race, I prefer to take my time when I build stuff .
I'll use the royal louis beakhead drawing as inspiration for my soleil royal. It look like the moldings are on the forecastle gun ports too and below the trailboard. Since I'm going for moldings on the stern gun ports I wonder if it'd be better if I do the same for the forecastles one.

Among the more interesting and useful imagery of the Portanier document:

View attachment 351785
View attachment 351786
View attachment 351787
Hmmmm the first two pics are in the document, the first being named '' Louis XV/Royal Louis''; and the second is named.
The third one is interesting....I will try to find some info. on the ship it belongs to, but it seems to be a design post 1688. It had to be for a 90 canon ship at the very least and over 155 feet in length. It seems to have the same window design as the Saint-Philippe, but it isn't is the Saint-Philippe, the main board deco isn't the same; it isn't the second Soleil Royal either because it carried the design of the refit version; It isn't the Royal Louis either because the back main board deco. isn't the right one. It seems to be a berain design, but he design the great majority of the ships at that time with some help from Caffieri and others. Some possibilities are Hubac's Foudroyant decor before being renamed and that decor dismounted for the other one; or Pangialo's Foudroyant, ex-Soleil Royal which kept his decor; or even the 1691 Foudroyant which burned at Barfleur. Other candidates could be: the 1691 Ambitieux; the 1691 Formidable; the 1692 Merveilleux; the 1693 Terrible; the 1693 Tonnant; the 1693 Triomphant or the 1694 Fier...... Bets are on:))))))))

I don't intend this to be a race, I prefer to take my time when I build stuff .
I'll use the royal louis beakhead drawing as inspiration for my soleil royal. It look like the moldings are on the forecastle gun ports too and below the trailboard. Since I'm going for moldings on the stern gun ports I wonder if it'd be better if I do the same for the forecastles one.
The question here is which ship do you want to represent with your kit......

The soleil royal, I can't take inspiration from other ships of the same time period/rank?
You can do anything you want....The issue is if you modify it out of the standards of either the first or the refit ship, it will lose it's identity....
There are some avenues for modifying, but there are also limits. The Royal Louis' figurehead is exactly that, the Royal Louis and you can't just transfer it on another ship of a different name....Especially if you already have the information for the ones on the Soleil Royal.....

I'm not going to take the RL figurehead, just use it as a inspiration, with other drawings of louis XIV ships. It still stay the soleil royal with its original figure head. I think I'll ask someone of my club for the sun/crown and the sceptre or the mermaid.

Hmmmm the first two pics are in the document, the first being named '' Louis XV/Royal Louis''; and the second is named.
The third one is interesting....I will try to find some info. on the ship it belongs to, but it seems to be a design post 1688. It had to be for a 90 canon ship at the very least and over 155 feet in length. It seems to have the same window design as the Saint-Philippe, but it isn't is the Saint-Philippe, the main board deco isn't the same; it isn't the second Soleil Royal either because it carried the design of the refit version; It isn't the Royal Louis either because the back main board deco. isn't the right one. It seems to be a berain design, but he design the great majority of the ships at that time with some help from Caffieri and others. Some possibilities are Hubac's Foudroyant decor before being renamed and that decor dismounted for the other one; or Pangialo's Foudroyant, ex-Soleil Royal which kept his decor; or even the 1691 Foudroyant which burned at Barfleur. Other candidates could be: the 1691 Ambitieux; the 1691 Formidable; the 1692 Merveilleux; the 1693 Terrible; the 1693 Tonnant; the 1693 Triomphant or the 1694 Fier...... Bets are on:))))))))
Good luck with this. My guess is that it is a LeBrun sketch for some early version of the RL. The tafferal carving and tafferal shape suggest that may be so. Might also be a De La Rose effort for the same. I know he had some input in the Grand Chamber decor. I think he also submitted ornamental drawings for the exterior, that were ultimately rejected.

Good luck with this. My guess is that it is a LeBrun sketch for some early version of the RL. The tafferal carving and tafferal shape suggest that may be so. Might also be a De La Rose effort for the same. I know he had some input in the Grand Chamber decor. I think he also submitted ornamental drawings for the exterior, that were ultimately rejected.
Have a look at this board carving:) this is the Ambitiuex, a project which never came to life in the early 1680's; a project of Tourville and Pangialo; Tourville wanted longer but lighter three decks which could manoeuver more easily, with about 80 canons....Now the Ambitieux actually existed in 1691 as a big 90 to 95 gun three decker ship of roughly 158 feet. I know that the rear board art is usually carried through the namesake of the different ship generations baring that name, so.......It really does fit the bill, but it is definitely not for the Soleil Royal of any generations.....Even the 1743 two decker Soleil Royal had the original rear board art.....
The sketch is definitely a post 1680 art definition of a second marine ship; It is decorated quite a bit, but looks can be deceiving because of the darkness, or focus on the placement of the high reliefs, with two possibilities, either the serpent surrounding the post on the right, or the other possibility on the left which is more defined....
Just a thought:)

ambitieux1.jpg

Yeah, I see what you are saying. It is quite possible. The number of gallery levels does suggest a more heavily armed ship, so maybe L’Ambiteaux of the second marine.

Yes, probably the 1691 one...It has similar basic strutures as the Saint-Philippe and no balconies except for the center sections; a bit like the refit Soleil Royal style...
The 1691 Ambitieux had 95 canons and was a 2200 tons ship; so it would fit the profile.....But then quite a few others also fit that profile, but it definitely isn't any of the Foudroyant ships; the rear board art is very different...

While I was a bit lazy the rest of today modelling speaking, I decided to work a bit on the quarter gallery of my 1669 SR by starting opening the heller one using a xacto knife (still didn't cut myself, tho I have some clean up to do on some parts due to the knife drifting a bit sometimes). I think I can use a xacto knife to cut the 3rd battery gun port without having to get parts from another SR.
dsc_7435.jpg

For opening the quarter galleries, I use pics of the tanneron model, no need for plan for this.

What do you guys think of Michel Saulnier analysis of the Tanneron soleil royal? To him, it's "Le foudroyant" renamed Soleil royal, not even the intial or post refit soleil royal of 1669/1688. Being honest, I do find Lemineur/Saulnier analysis has issues since, as Guy M showed in his research, the Tanneron model can still be interpreted in a multitude of ways. I'm more on the interpretation that Tanneron wanted to represent the 1st soleil royal using the data at his disposal from both versions. https://www.leradoubduponant.com/t6...-pas-le-sr-fourni-dans-tous-les-kits-existant

While I was a bit lazy the rest of today modelling speaking, I decided to work a bit on the quarter gallery of my 1669 SR by starting opening the heller one using a xacto knife (still didn't cut myself, tho I have some clean up to do on some parts due to the knife drifting a bit sometimes). I think I can use a xacto knife to cut the 3rd battery gun port without having to get parts from another SR.
dsc_7435.jpg

For opening the quarter galleries, I use pics of the tanneron model, no need for plan for this.

Back