Hull Shaping

I am currently ready to begin my third model, the CSS Alabama, and probably bit off more than I am capable of. The hull is basically a 3x4 block of wood that needs shaping and I am lost. Are there any tutorials out there that cover how to shape a hull? This should be fun! Thanks

G'day iceman, I have built several ship's with carved hulls, if you look at my signature you will see the Naomi and the Mini Sims both were done with carved hulls just using a craft knife and sandpaper,

Hope they help you out,

Best regards John.

Last edited:
Very nice!!!!! Looks like I’m in for a lot of shaping and sanding :). Hope mine comes out as good as yours. Thanks very much for the help.

I would recommend looking at a good tutorial for half hull model making. It's the same basic process. You have templates that show the curve of the hull at each station along the hull? And mark those station lines on the top deck surface (so they don't get sanded off). Start amidships and work your way to each end, removing material at each station until it matches the shape of the template, and progress toward the bow and stern. Your hull will emerge. Initially you can remove material with carving chisel, if you know how to use those, or a file, or rotary tool, and then conservatively (before it is too late!) switch to sandpaper. Coarse then fine as usual.

Does that help?

I am curious here. Is the CSS Alabama a kit or you are just scratch building and starting with a block of wood, OR, did the kit just come with a block of wood?
If it is a kit and came with a block of wood, I am very surprised about it being a rectangle block of BILLET. Usually, the manufacture will put in the kit a SOLID hull that has already been 80% finished all that is needed is fine-tuning. Then on top of that, the plans should have come with some stiff paper TEMPLATES that are used as "stations" to use as a guide.
Like the Model Shipways Sultana came with such a hull and had about 8 templates you use to obtain the FORM of the hull at eight different positions along the length of the hull.
I have never heard (but that doesn't mean anything) of a kit that gives you a billet of wood with no templates or cross-sectional views to go by.

Thanks everyone for the helpful references and suggestions. I over-reacted when I saw the block in the kit and assumed I had to carve the hull. I was wrong. The kit is a bulkhead on keel. The block was for making spacers to fit between the bulkheads in areas that have intricate shapes as a backing for the planks. The kit is from Bluejacket. I may be in a little over my head (Admiral level) with this kit but I’m going to plow ahead anyway. Should be an interesting project and a learning experience for me. Thanks again.

I am glad that you figured this out - if you haven't can you make a build log of your progress. We are interested in seeing this project.

Back