Hull - plank on frame or better plank on bulkhead ?

Hello to all friends,
Just a question about your experience:
I‘m thinking about to start a „Phantom - N.Y. pilot boat“ in scale 1:100 totally from scratch. This schooner is well documented. An older kit is out of stock, I could buy one on „ebay“ and this kit hull is a full wooden one to be sanded.
If you are thinking about a small hull ( something about 20cm length): is a hull „plank on frame“ possible to realize (near to the reallity), is a „plank on bulkhead“ better, or better start with a „bread and butter“ full wooden hull at the beginning?
Any opinion welcome!
Best regards - Otto

I would say that question would depending on your resources available to provide the POF info needed as well as your modeling and woodworking skills.

POB are easier to lay out and cut bulkheads and center keel and cover if nobody will ever see the inside of the ship.

POF can become great consumers of wood and time, but can produce a grand ship when you build to allow for access to see the work done inside.

There are many great build logs of POF kits with full interior installed and partial planking and decking laid out to show the interior work.

But the final choice would be what you feel like you can do, or are willing to try.

Please post a build log so others can follow and if needed provide comments and help as you go.

FYI, my first kit 20+ years ago was the Phantom pilot boat a solid hull, and I don't think I will ever build another solid hull.....

Hello to all friends,
I‘m thinking about to start a „Phantom - N.Y. pilot boat“ in scale 1:100 totally from scratch. This schooner is well documented. An older kit is out of stock, I could buy one on „ebay“ and this kit hull is a full wooden one to be sanded.
If you are thinking about a small hull ( something about 20cm length): is a hull „plank on frame“ possible to realize (near to the reallity), is a „plank on bulkhead“ better, or better start with a „bread and butter“ full wooden hull at the beginning?
Any opinion welcome!
Best regards - Otto
I guess your model will be also somehow based on the group build of the german forum.
For everybody else to understand better here some examples photographed by myself during a forum meeting some years ago

IMG_228711.jpg IMG_24111.jpg

IMG_23971.jpg

These models are build in scale 1:50, so double the size of your planned project.

Thinking about POF I would check the form of the frames, not specifically the form of the hull, but also take the structure of the frame elements into account.

Such ships were usually not build in double frames, no, it was important to have a light structure. So I guess, they had only floor timber one futtock and one top timber. And also important would be, what the thickness and the width of these frame elements were on the real ship and transfered to 1:100.
Would be elements of rames of only 3 or 4mm thickness possible to handle, to cut, sand etc.

So before decision of POF, you should check how the frames would look like and how big these elements would be in 1:100 ?
If there are problems, there are maybe two options:
1) you simplify the framing and make f.e. double frames with slightly thicker elements - historical not correct, but you could handle it
or
2) you build in 1:50 where I can expect, that it is possible (see my Le Coureur with clinker planking on POF light frames

I am certainly not an expert on this, however, you say your hull is 20cm (or 200mm). IF you wish to build using Plank on Bulkhead method, it seems to me that the Bulkheads should be about 3mm in thickness. In order to build Plank on Frame, then I would think the Frames would be about the same 3mm thicknesses. I assume that you do not have access to any profile view of the plans that reveal the spacing of the frames, etc. If any of this information is not known, then I would build a frame at 3mm or 3.5mm, then leave a gap of the same, then another frame. At this size, I would propose that the frames would be all one piece. However, if the frames (or ribs) are to be planked over or left exposed is another decision. If you are using the Bulkhead method, then you would want to plank the entire hull.
This is all of course my own personal thoughts on the matter.

Hello to all friends,
Any opinion welcome!
Best regards - Otto
I have built plank on frame ships boats that are only 8cm long so yes plank on frame is completely possible.

IMG_0378.jpg

Hello,
Thank you, looks great. Will try it also.
VBR Otto

Back