How to paint metal on transom of Rattlesnake

JKB

I am new to "intermediate skill level models Need help in how to make the metal decoration on stern of Rattlesnake look real. Help would be appreciated.
JKB

Attachments

• IMG_8697 (002).JPG
    IMG_8697 (002).JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 21
I saw this answer some place , can't remember just where. The suggestion I saw and have tried is to take a soft pencil eraser (I used a 1x2" white rubber eraser) dip it into a tray of gold paint and dab off most of it. Then dab onto the surface of the decoration gently, little by little. Worked well, a little clean up of the details and it should be much easier than hand painting ! Pics are of the first attempt.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20211120_172456.jpg
    thumbnail_20211120_172456.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 36
  • thumbnail_20211120_172657.jpg
    thumbnail_20211120_172657.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 37
Bare metal foil? I have a lot of experience with it on cars, but not on ships.

Similar to what Jeanco suggested, I have used gold leaf for some non-ship projects and had good success. Dry-brushing would also work. It is similar to the eraser technique Karl described, but might give better control. Another option is AK Interactives Real Metal, which is a wax-based buffable paint. It produces very convincing metallic finishes and comes in a variety of colors.

On my Rattlesnake I started with breaking apart the kit white metal transom decoration into three pieces. The middle piece, the actual rattlesnake, I I gilded. The other two flanking pieces I sprayed with primer then a base coat of black. Then I just gilded the raised portions of the two flanking pieces. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

On my Rattlesnake I started with breaking apart the kit white metal transom decoration into three pieces. The middle piece, the actual rattlesnake, I I gilded. The other two flanking pieces I sprayed with primer then a base coat of black. Then I just gilded the raised portions of the two flanking pieces. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Thanks for your advice. Turned out looking good. Could have done better on the windows. Your log will be of great help. First time I will paint the model. Any reason I shouldn’t paint the waterways before installing them?

Attachments

• 4D8AEC8E-06EC-4177-AA8F-F9F288A25785.jpeg
    4D8AEC8E-06EC-4177-AA8F-F9F288A25785.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for your advice. Turned out looking good. Could have done better on the windows. Your log will be of great help. First time I will paint the model. Any reason I shouldn’t paint the waterways before installing them?
What process did you use?

Since the deck planking is bare and my ceiling planks are red I found it much easier to paint the waterways red first then install them then touch up any areas with red paint.

Back