How should I mix filler please?

Hi, I'm needing to create some filler for my mahogany planks. I've got a lot of mahogany dust from sanding the planks and I was wondering whether to mix this with Aliphatic glue or PVA glue. Someone said to me that Aliphatic glue sands easier than PVA but PVA dries clear and Aliphatic glue is yellow - but this advice wasn't in the relation to mixing it with mahogany dust. What ratio do people use for dust to glue? I have done some filling with Brummer Medium mahogany filler but unfortunately it 'stands out like a sore thumb'! I want it to blend in as it is going to be varnished. Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers Duncan

Hi, I'm needing to create some filler for my mahogany planks. I've got a lot of mahogany dust from sanding the planks and I was wondering whether to mix this with Aliphatic glue or PVA glue. Someone said to me that Aliphatic glue sands easier than PVA but PVA dries clear and Aliphatic glue is yellow - but this advice wasn't in the relation to mixing it with mahogany dust. What ratio do people use for dust to glue? I have done some filling with Brummer Medium mahogany filler but unfortunately it 'stands out like a sore thumb'! I want it to blend in as it is going to be varnished. Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers Duncan
Hello DPT, I would recommend this type of grout, excellent yield and good sanding

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-17 at 12.08.12.jpeg

I can't find a stockist in the UK. Your photos were blurred so I couldn't read the full details on the tubes. Thanks for the info though. D

Polyester filler used in car body work is great if you are going to paint it. If the wood is going to be exposed then lots of saw dust with any hard glue will work. I tend to use epoxy but you can use polyester glue as it sets really fast.

I have mixed mahogany dust with PVA glue and used it with internal planking of my steam pinasse. The stuff is drying very nicely following the colour of planks, and after light sanding you hardly see the filled points. See attached picture. You will find very soon the correct combination of dust/glue when you start mixing them.

20220319_161743.jpg

I have found mixing wood dust with simple white glue to a spreadable paste works great. In fact, I have used simple Elmers White School Glue to great success.

When you are mixing glue and dust, some glues darken the mixture dramatically and some glues don't. Do a quick test with the glue you have before applying it to your ship. I know CA and epoxy darken the mix. I think clear PVA(like Jim said) is good.

When you are mixing glue and dust, some glues darken the mixture dramatically and some glues don't. Do a quick test with the glue you have before applying it to your ship. I know CA and epoxy darken the mix. I think clear PVA(like Jim said) is good.
Does that have any effect on the varnish's ability to stick to the repair spot?

Mixing sawdust and wood glue is an established practice in general woodworking to fix minor problems. Once dried and sanded, it takes the finish without being noticeable. Just one caution: some toot takes a little practice to get the glue/sawdust mix right. If uncertain, err on the side of more sawdust. Invariably the glue is thoroughly absorbed leaving a solid wood finis

Thanks for all your info. Can you also add a little water to PVA glue so that you can get the filler into the tiny gaps?

No. Wen wet, the glue is soluble. Either use a spatula or you can buy a device akin to an injector with a very fine nozzle

To fill imperfections between planks I just put wood glue on the space to be filled and do a soft sanding over it. The sanded wood mix with the glue and you are done.

Last edited:
I've used hide glue with mahogany dust. The glue can take a stain, cleans with water and has a long set time.

Back