Naval/Maritime History HMS Victory - The Total Guide

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

This is Epic History TV's guide to HMS Victory, one of the most famous warships in history, and the flagship of Vice Admiral Nelson at his decisive victory over the Franco-Spanish Combined Fleet at Trafalgar in 1805. In this episode we look at the composition of naval crews, and how they sailed, fought, and lived aboard a warship like Victory.

Credits to the National Museum of the Royal Navy for their help in making this series. HMS Victory is currently undergoing a major conservation project but remains open to the public throughout. More info here:

https://www.historicdockyard.co.uk

Thank you to the National Maritime Museum for their support in making this series:

I was thinking I might opt for the OcCre Victory once I finish my current ship....if there's any left. Great post Jim!
It is a bit less than an hour of a very detailed story about HMS Victory, but it is worth watching without a doubt!

Thanks Jim. I let my Caldercraft Victory kit go to one of our SoS members. I did so because there were soooooooo many HMS Victory's out there. After watching this video, I get a little of that HMS Victory goosebumps feeling back and wonder if I made the right decision. ROTF

Really great video though. Thanks for sharing mate!

This is Epic History TV's guide to HMS Victory, one of the most famous warships in history, and the flagship of Vice Admiral Nelson at his decisive victory over the Franco-Spanish Combined Fleet at Trafalgar in 1805. In this episode we look at the composition of naval crews, and how they sailed, fought, and lived aboard a warship like Victory.

Credits to the National Museum of the Royal Navy for their help in making this series. HMS Victory is currently undergoing a major conservation project but remains open to the public throughout. More info here:

https://www.historicdockyard.co.uk

Thank you to the National Maritime Museum for their support in making this series:

Jimsky, this video is an absolute WOW! Probably the best I’ve seen on the explanation of every aspect of Ships of the Line. It’s so important to preserve these living history examples. Thanks for sharing this!
Слва

Absolutely excellent video, and thank you for posting the link. I had the great fortune of being able to board HMS Victory a couple of decades ago, and of all the great ships I've managed to visit, it stands out at the most humbling and awe inspiring. At the time, she was undergoing a refitting of the main mast, but I was still able to shoot a considerable amount of slide film detailing rigging and other details. What I was surprised by (though in reflection shouldn't have been) was how low the ceilings were below deck. I managed to knock some sense into myself a couple of times before I made it back up to fresh air again. :) Again, thank you for sharing.

Deja vu. I could swear you posted this before, Jim. not that I mind watching it again, mind you.

Absolutely excellent video, and thank you for posting the link. I had the great fortune of being able to board HMS Victory a couple of decades ago, and of all the great ships I've managed to visit, it stands out at the most humbling and awe inspiring. At the time, she was undergoing a refitting of the main mast, but I was still able to shoot a considerable amount of slide film detailing rigging and other details. What I was surprised by (though in reflection shouldn't have been) was how low the ceilings were below deck. I managed to knock some sense into myself a couple of times before I made it back up to fresh air again. :) Again, thank you for sharing.
Sea deep, your concussive experience below decks is why it’s so important to keep these examples available. I’m sure that after you saw stars the first or close to the first thing that you thought about was how those sailors lived and died.

A great video - many thanks Jim for sharing with us

Been away for a while, life gets in the way but watching the posts with another urge to get back into it. For some reason, I wasn't getting the weekly popular topics for a while but back again. This video is excellent, I enjoyed the explanation of below decks rooms and where everything was stored etc. also the tacks etc using the wind was interesting. I'm planning a trip to Europe in 2025 and Portsmouth is high on my list. Hopefully soon I'll get back into my HMS Revenge build, up to rigging stage, do have a build on this forum, which I hope to add to soon. Thank you everyone, even when you have been away for a while, this forum helps so much. Cheers. Thanks for sharing the video, I'll be looking out for more.

Back