HMS VICTORY rigging

John L. here. Thanks for including me in your group.

I saw a post a little while ago from someone (Vjay?) looking for information about building the HMS VICTORY. I recently finished the Mamilo version of the ship. There were lots of inaccuracies both in the plans and historical references. I was able to work around them with the help of a member of the staff of the museum in Portsmouth, England, several helpful books and, to some degree, the set of plans for the D'Agostini version. The D'Agostini plans were very confusion as to completing the running rigging. I would not rely on them as being very helpful in that aspect of the build. Two books I found references to recently, "Anatomy of Nelson's Ships," and "The 100-gun Victory" are very detailed and helpful in showing all the ship's rigging but lacking in having belaying pin diagrams to know where to attach ropes, sheets, hausers, etc. The first is available on Amazon for under $20. The other, just 119 pages, sells for well over $100, again on Amazon.

I am beginning to build the Corel cross-section model to go with my completed full ship model but it too lacks many of the main mast items including studding sail booms, additional ropes, etc. If anyone knows of a reference that is an accurate listing of where everything goes, please let me know.

John L. here. Thanks for including me in your group.

I saw a post a little while ago from someone (Vjay?) looking for information about building the HMS VICTORY. I recently finished the Mamilo version of the ship. There were lots of inaccuracies both in the plans and historical references. I was able to work around them with the help of a member of the staff of the museum in Portsmouth, England, several helpful books and, to some degree, the set of plans for the D'Agostini version. The D'Agostini plans were very confusion as to completing the running rigging. I would not rely on them as being very helpful in that aspect of the build. Two books I found references to recently, "Anatomy of Nelson's Ships," and "The 100-gun Victory" are very detailed and helpful in showing all the ship's rigging but lacking in having belaying pin diagrams to know where to attach ropes, sheets, hausers, etc. The first is available on Amazon for under $20. The other, just 119 pages, sells for well over $100, again on Amazon.

I am beginning to build the Corel cross-section model to go with my completed full ship model but it too lacks many of the main mast items including studding sail booms, additional ropes, etc. If anyone knows of a reference that is an accurate listing of where everything goes, please let me know.
Welcome aboard, I also have the Corel cross-section kit still in a box so following with interest.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
We have a lot of information about the HMS Victory and also rigging etc. in our forum, so I guess you will find what you need for your section model

Back