HMS Victory, Inside out

Ken, May be you have seen my build log on dutch forum or foto's on Facebook. Later on I will show you that I made a box with pull out drawers.

WOW - for the details
and
WOW - for the execution of this unusual modeling

Very good work and a very good eye for the details, (like copper and lead floor etc.) Thumbsup

Update 5
Now I will continue by explaining how I filled the orlopdeck with all his structures.
For this I used two figures.

1-DekplanOrlopMcGowan.jpg
1-DekplanOrlopMcGowan.jpg
Fig. McGowan: Orlopdeck

2-DekplanOrlop.jpg
2-DekplanOrlop.jpg
Fig: McKay: Orlopdeck.

I made a print of the McKay layout on scale and put it on my model.
3-planopdek.jpg

So I could see what comes where.
4-DekBeplankt.jpg
And I could make the necessary openings in the deck for gratings and hatches.

5-Dekroosters.jpg
5-Dekroosters.jpg

Here you see some gratings and the upper parts of the riders. Between the outer and the inner planking on top of the frames, you see a copper wire. That is one of the wires for the powersuply for the lighting with leds. Through the starbordside runs the + wire and through the portside the – wire.The leds are in pairs with a resistor between them.
Next is the pumphousing around the mainmast.

Left you see the four walls and right a few of them mounted around the mainmast with the pumps
05-6-Pomphuis.jpg
At the aft side of the orlopdeck there are some cabins on both sides. Below how it looks like on the Victory.

6-Vic-Orlopdek.jpg
I made the front of these cabins as follows:
7-Deurschotten.jpg

And the doors on a similar manner resulting in:
8-SchottenMetDeur.jpg

And the rounding as follows.

05-9-Ronding.jpg

And finally on the model it looks like

11-VanBoven.jpg
10-VanBoven.jpg
Here you see top left the storeroom of the captain and the admiral. Below on the left the cabin of the carpenter and two storerooms of the mariners and the cabin of the ships chirurg. In the middle left you see the bottom of the storeroom for gunpowder cartridges.

The rest will be filled later.

Will be continued.

9-Gemonteerd.jpg

05-10-Gemonteerd.jpg

Last edited:
Update 6
We will continue with detailing the orlopdeck.
06-1-Kardoeznrek.jpg
This is the storage of gunpowder bags in the hanging magazine.

And next the unit of the complete hanging magizine ready to be placed on the deck.
06-2-HangingMagazine.jpg

I finished some more things and placed the deckbeams.
06-3-VoorOrlop.jpg

Left you see the cable tier with the red floor and the sailroom in construction.
06-4-GuardVoorMagazine.jpg

You are looking here to the cable tiers on the side and the doors to the hanging magazine in the center. Marines on guard.

06-5-ZeilOpslag.jpg
This the sailroom (left) with cloth for sales and right the hanging magazine.

Now we start building the front of this deck, here is the layout.

06-6-PlattegrondVoor.jpg
7-Chirurg.jpg

06-7-Chirurg.jpg

This area is the place where in battle the ships chirurg is working. Meaning: mostly only amputating damaged arms or legs. This is also the area where Nelson died on oct 21 in 1805.

It is not Nelson on the table.

Here I am making the divisions of the rooms and workplaces for the carpenter and others.
06-8-Gangetjes.jpg

I made the workplaces upside down and placed the carpenter equipment in place against the wall.

06-9-Carpentersroom.jpg
I made also a storage rack for the timbers of the carpenter,
06-10-Carpentersrack.jpg

There is also a workplace for ropes and blocks.

06-11-Touwenkamer.jpg
Here you see the storage of ropes in the rope-room.

And here an overview. Below the carpenters workplace and on top the rope and block room. Around the foremast you see three hatches to rooms in the hold. Above the mast is the entry to the lightroom. On the left two entries to the gunpowder rooms.06-12-OrlopFinal.jpg
Finally the orlopdeck looks like above.

Will be continued.

Last edited:
Update 6

20201016111150-32b1c4d0.jpg

And next the unit of the complete hanging magizine ready to be placed on the deck.

20201016111333-19147dd6.jpg

20201017104410-a11b60eb.jpg

Left you see the cable tier with the red floor and the sailroom in construction.

20201017104916-5db52ac6.jpg

You are looking here to the cable tiers on the side and the doors to the hanging magazine in the center. Marines on guard.

20201017105159-890d75b9.jpg

20201017105259-b074aee9-la.jpg

20201017105538-dfe98b2e.jpg

This area is the place where in battle the ships chirurg is working. Meaning: mostly only amputating damaged arms or legs. This is also the area where Nelson died on oct 21 in 1805.

Here I am making the divisions of the rooms and workplaces for the carpenter and others.

20201017130829-46c33033.jpg

I made the workplaces upside down and placed the carpenter equipment in place against the wall.

20201017131029-41826b04-la.jpg

i.php

20201017130936-b2f04b68.jpg

And here an overview. Below the carpenters workplace and on top the rope and block room. Around the foremast you see three hatches to rooms in the hold. Above the mast is the entry to the lightroom. On th left two entries to the gunpowder rooms.

20201020113502-9f0f7264.jpg

Will be continued.
Such wonderful work, a real gift of workmanship, to think up these wonderful items you make. A much higher class of skills then me but I'm happy with what I can do.
Glad to see the Marines on duty!
Keep well
Paul

Update 6

20201016111150-32b1c4d0.jpg

20201016111333-19147dd6.jpg

20201017104410-a11b60eb.jpg

20201017104916-5db52ac6.jpg

20201017105159-890d75b9.jpg

20201017105259-b074aee9-la.jpg

20201017105538-dfe98b2e.jpg

20201017130829-46c33033.jpg

20201017131029-41826b04-la.jpg

i.php

20201017130936-b2f04b68.jpg

And here an overview. Below the carpenters workplace and on top the rope and block room. Around the foremast you see three hatches to rooms in the hold. Above the mast is the entry to the lightroom. On th left two entries to the gunpowder rooms.

20201020113502-9f0f7264.jpg

Will be continued.
Excellent detail! Superb craftsmanship! It is nice to see the details of each deck.

Update 7
After the orlopdeck the lowergundeck is the next one.
First I saw the lowergudeck from the upperstructure and I glued iton a piece of 1mm plexiwood in the form of the uppergundeck, so that it fits onto the orlopdeck.
07-1-Splitsendekken.jpg

07-2-Lowerdek.jpg

With a print of the decklayout I visualize what I have to build here.

07-3-Dekplan.jpg

I start with controlling the height of the gunports with the guns.
07-4-Kanon.jpg

This is the gun belonging to the crosssection of the Victory. For this model I need 30 guns of this format and 70 a bit smaller. I don't want to buy them so I have to make them myself. I decided to make them by pouring epoxy in a latex mall.

07-5-resin.jpg
Here you see the bottles with latex and 2-component resin I used.

I fixed the 4 guns I had with clay onto a wire and poured them a few times into the latex, until I had some thickness.

07-6-Condoompjes.jpg
Then I removed the latex from the guns and filled the “condoms” with resin.

07-7-Gevuld.jpg

07-8-StadiaKanon.jpg

Here you see some stages in creating and finishing the guns.
07-9-VergelijkingKanons.jpg

The result in close up. They are 40 mm long.

07-10-AlleKanons.jpg
The total production.

Then I made all the gunports in the side wall. To be sure they are all the same size and height to the floor I use a simple tool.
07-11-Poorttool.jpg

On one side there is a piece of metal I used to give the underside of the gunport the correct height. With the other side I checked the dimensions of the opening of the gunports.

07-12-Poorten.jpg
Then I made the innerside of the wall resulting in an empty deck with all the gunports.

07-13-AllePoorten.jpg

Then I made the capstan.
07-14-Kaapstander.jpg
Here you see all the parts and the final result.

Next the guns, they are all painted black an mounted.
07-15-KanonsOpPaard.jpg

Then I started with the innerside of the wall at the bow. The innerside is painted white and some knees are mounted.

16-Boeg.jpg
07-16-Boeg.jpg

At the fore part of the lowergundeck the anchorcable enters into the ship. This part sometimes was used to keep live stock for dinner for the the captain, admiral and officers.
17-Kabelentry.jpg

07-17-Kabelentry.jpg
Will be continued.

Last edited:
Update 8
Now I will continue with filling the lowergundeck with details.
The deck looks like as follows
08-1-DekLower.jpg

On the outside I have mounted all the portlids on real hinges, so that they can open and close.

08-2-PoortenMetLuiken.jpg

Top picture lids closed and below open. The cables to open them are led through brass tubes in the side wall. Inside there are tackles to open and close them.

08-3-Kabelentry.jpg
Also visible are the lights.
Earlier I have shown how the capstan was made. When the anchors has to be hauled up there were 120 men needed on both levels of the capstan. So I needed here 120 men.
I made them from FIMO clay.

08-4-ManOnderdelen.jpg

First I made a number of body parts and then I glued them together in some steps.

08-5-ManOpbouwen.jpg
After painting it looks likes below.

08-6-AlleMannen.jpg

08-7-BemandeKaapstander.jpg

And after placing them on the deck this is the result. Here are only 88 men placed. They were a bit too wide for placing 10 on a bar.

The pump section is mounted around the main mast. Look at the gun equipment on the side ot the deckbeams.
08-8-Pompen.jpg

After placing a number of deckbeams with lights it looks like this.

08-9-Dekbalken.jpg

Only the tiller of the rudder has to be placed.
This is the tiller mounted on the rudderhead with two side tackles. The rudderhead is a short peace because of separating the decks made possible.

08-10-Tiller.jpg
After mounting them it was time to test the movement.

08-11-RoerConstructie.jpg

And finally it looks like as follow
The whole completed deck is the following.

08-12-LowerFinal.jpg
To be continued.

Last edited:
Hi all,
A few years ago I build the HMS Victory with the DeAgostino kit. And then I found the book of John McKay "The 100 gun-gun ship Victory". This book shows all the details necessary to build the Victory from scratch.
After the DeAgostini model was finished, and visited the Victory in Portsmouth, I decided to build the Victory from scratch, included all the internal details.
Of that build I made a report on the dutch forum: https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/hms-victory-binnenste-buiten.212385/
It is in Dutch, but I will post here the most essential things, so you can follow it also.
Hallo @janzwart
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on your HMS Victory going? Any update possible?

Wow, you have put an enormous amount of time and energy into this model. Great effort. :)
I have never seen or thought of building and presenting a ship in this layered manner before with the storage and presentation drawers cabinet. It is truly mind boggling to see the level of detail and amount of items required. Your work deserves gallery recognition but I don't know how that can be practically done without omissions. First Place MetalFirst Place MetalFirst Place MetalShip-1 Take a moment or more for relaxation along the way. You deserve them. :) Rich (PT-2)

Back