HMS Victory - Heller by Larry

to the hobbists
I just purchased the plastic scale mode HMS Victory 1/100.. 80897..and have lots of questions before I start it.
But before I begin with my questions let me give you a background of some of my experience.
I am 73 years ..a retired lineman from New York Telephone co.
I had put together some scale car models as a teenager some years ago.
I have ridden a few motorcycles and worked on cars and maintained them with hands on experience.
I now decided to do some sailing ship modeling....I have plenty of time..
I pt together the scale model of the USS Constitution.1/96 and The Black Pearl from the Pirates of the Carribean.
I found them interesting with the detail and the patience to assemble them.
It took me 3 months to assemble the Pearl and was proud of my accomplishments...with a few of minor changes
and repairs due to my inexperience.
Now to the HMS Vicory..
Reading and understanding the instructions takes time and understanding..to say the least..!!
The kit came with 2 sets of ropes..and some ..wire lengths??..I am sure I need regular thread.
The large instruction booklet looks precise for the experienced modeler.Rope numbers and sequence etc.
I looked at the Amati thread set on the web and it looks like that would be the one to get.
The paints I guess would be Testors..and some colors would have to be mixed to achieve the proper color.
What I learned from assembling the ships was to look a few steps ahead before I set the glue.
I have looked at some sites on the web and some pictures of the Victory are very impressive.
Any insight such as other specialty tools or books from your group would be very much appreciated as I am yet to begin.

Larry, welcome to the forum, there is a lot here to help you find out what your looking for.

A few questions for you and us, where are you from in US, we have members all over, someone may be near you that can help if needed.

Use the Search function in the top bar, and type in "Heller HMS Victory" and see how many different discussion pop up! Many about the big wood kits and a lot about the many plastic kits, just scroll thru and if you find a build log you like click on it. It may have answers you need, or give you insight on how others dealt with a specific problem. It will also identify the author of the build log so you can chat with them in private if needed to share issues.

Please start a specific build log on your kit so you can show and tell what is going on, and we all can follow along and provide help as needed.

Ha ha.....same here...!!
I'm off today to get some paints..
we will have to get together. :)
There is a model ship building club meeting on Tuesday (Jan 23) at 10;30 AM in St. Pete. If you're not busy and you wish to go, you are welcome to ride with me. We would be leaving a little before 9 AM.

Last edited:
we will have to get together. :)
There is a model ship building club meeting on Tuesday (Jan 23) at 10;30 AM in St. Pete. If you're not busy and you wish to go, you are welcome to ride with me. We would be leaving a little before 9 AM.
Great...I have lots of questions.. with the instruction book...LOL....Should I post my address on line here or my tell # to get intouch..??

Great...I have lots of questions.. with the instruction book...LOL....Should I post my address on line here or my tell # to get intouch..??
A warm welcome from me too.
Data exchange for your own safety via PM .
There is a very good building protocol from our member @dafi here is the link.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Seting up and mixing the right colors M2..90% white and 10% green..
I cut up a credit card for making the loops in the hull...
Looking a few steps ahead to make use of the paint
I cut up a credit card for the templet for making the loops in the hull....1st.jpg

Ok..here is a question for the proffesionals...
I'm working on the cannons for the Victory...
which is correct..??cannon.jpg on the placement...?????

Usually the guns were orianted along the waterline - so parallel to the seawater - during action off course

"Pins down, end up" The barrel will sit higher in the carriage so the elevation could be adjusted more. The Trunnions (or pins) are on the lower part of the barrel. most models just place the trunnions in the middle of the barrel. :)
1706884978652.png

Thanks Jeff...I assembled about a dozen that way already..then I wasn't sure if they were right..:)
"Pins down, end up" The barrel will sit higher in the carriage so the elevation could be adjusted more. The Trunnions (or pins) are on the lower part of the barrel. most models just place the trunnions in the middle of the barrel. :)
View attachment 425097

`Nice ! Mine didn't come with all separate carriages. The lower decks in my kit, the carriages are molded as part of the deck and you just glue the barrel on.

I have question about the Heller instructions on thread color ..What is the purpose of showing different thread colors..??thread color1.JPGthreadcolor2.JPG

Mine does not have different colors. However, I know that some kit makers color them based on standing rigging and running rigging. I see 4 colors on yours so off hand I don't know.

Jeff

Back