HMS Victory - CalderCraft 1:72

Upper gun deck now completed

The process was quite simple and straight fwd.
The inner gun port templates have a notch at the top with sufficient leeway to move left and right to allow inner side alignment with the outer gun port template.
To make this easy when gluing, I found that the leftover ply from the ship support cradle had three long sections that were the exact width of the gun ports. I cut these out and this allwed me to align the ports vertically for gluing
View attachment 312239
View attachment 312241
The templates were then glued into postion and clamped for drying
View attachment 312240
When dry I measured the lower lip of the internal gun port template and although correct at the bown and stern was correct however the middle ports were up to 2mm higher on the center ports. I made up one gun carriage and placed and it was correct on the ends bit as expected wrong in the centre.
It was simple to cut these down to match the external port edges with a excacto.
These were then lined and re checked with the cannons to be correct.
View attachment 312237
View attachment 312238
The ports were then painted with Jotika Admiratly paint Red Occur ( Jotika Victory Paint set)
View attachment 312236
The 2nd planking was then continued up to the upper deck level and again stopped.
View attachment 312235
Next the centre line of the deck was drawn in and a single full length plank placed and glued and allowd to dry
View attachment 312234

The rest of the planks ( a LOT!!) were cut to 85mm as per the mnaual to allow a 4 but shift ( done either side of the central planl
View attachment 312233
View attachment 312232

The deck was then completed, sanded and a coat of matt sanding sealer was added ( Still wet hence the gloss)

View attachment 312231

The internal gunport planking is next, then its flip over and the whales....
Till next time......
Good morning Paul. Awesome work. Great Video, instructive. This is the first time I have seen contact adhesive used and it looks like a good way to lay that second plank. Cheers Grant

Good morning Paul. Awesome work. Great Video, instructive. This is the first time I have seen contact adhesive used and it looks like a good way to lay that second plank. Cheers Grant
I’ve heard, however, that you have to be extremely careful since the contact part of the name is quite literal. There’s not much adjustment after you lay it down. Just repeating what others have said because I have no personal experience with it.

It gives more play than CA and the can is a lot cheaper to use. If you can lay tape, you can use contact. It leaves no residue or stain and rubs off exterrnal surfaces with your fingers. Its great for the thin veneer type 2nd layers and the fiddly fill bits. I would not use for 1st planking or major wood joining, still use the good old PVA for that.

Greetings all

A lot done but not much done.
The hull has now been completed and ready for external painting job 1.
The inner balwalks have been planked and painted
The Whales added ( Not obvious due to the planking & whales beinf both walnut. Its only obvious when you get close)
Gunport linings done with only 3 ratlers refusing to shakeout of hull. ( Quite suprised how easy it was in the end.)
Paint lines & water lines added by painters & tamia masking tape.

Now to a bit of relaxing paining before its COPPER time!

Adding the first inner ballwalk plank ( pre painted)
P1010375.jpeg
Adding piece by piece
P1010380.jpeg
Upper desck supports put temp in place to make sure inner planks are cut correctly to fit
P1010378.jpeg
Painted
P1010391.jpeg
Adding the whales ( Position measured directly off plan. Upper two whales are 1 x 3.5mm x 3 each, lower is one 1 x 4x.5mm & the other 4 1 x 4mm std planking. These were also contact adhesive laid. Once on laid they are hard to see at a distance. ( the light lank is not missing its juts that colour on hull
The Actual plans ( not the Kit ones or suggested method) have the whales consisting of Anchor cut stock laid end and butted up. I had considered this, but at the size & thickness ( 1mm) and when painted and sanded it becomes invisible at this size. After due consideration the effort for me and my eyesight it would not have justified the final result ( at 1.48 yep but at 1:72 no)

P1010390.jpeg

The gun ports were fairly easy in the end. I did the vertcle sides first ( the middle gun port level was easy as one side of the ports lined up with the internal bulkheads so was easy to fix in place.) I used PVA contrary to suggested CA(Quick hold but fragile). Using the special applicator, the amount of glue and the lightness of the cut piece held in place till the PVA dried.
P1010401.jpegP1010402.jpegP1010403.jpeg
Once the glue had dried for one side the other was added. The bottoms where then simply then pressed into position and held byt the sides and slight over length pressure. Once these were dry, it was flip the hull and repeat for the port tops. I was lucky and only dropped 4 into the hull ( 2 shook back out, so I still have 2 rattlers!. In the end it was a fun process with very little vocalization!
P1010394.jpeg
Finally the paint separation & waterlines have been marled on the hull. The lines do not follow the whales or the gunpurts and vary significantly in size from on end to the other. These postions other than the waterline are not any of the plans but are deriveded from a series of photos in the build instructions.
P1010398.jpeg

Moe fun to come. Still having a great time 856 hours in ...... to go

Last edited:
Hello Paul,
you are making great progress with the build. Are you planning on painting the model in the new Victory colour scheme ?
I was unsure when they changed the colour of the ship, but now I like it.

cheers buddy.
I like the Mustard Yellow from the Jotika paint set. Still prefer the Mustard Yellow to the Fleshy PINK!. All those years yellow then a change. I'm a 9 planet man not 8 & a rock.! There's tradition and then there's politically correct wokeness. ( and the BBC!):)

Greetings all

The Whales added ( Not obvious due to the planking & whales beinf both walnut. Its only obvious when you get close)
Gunport linings done with only 3 ratlers refusing to shakeout of hull. ( Quite suprised how easy it was in the end.)

View attachment 316401
Adding piece by piece
View attachment 316406
Upper desck supports put temp in place to make sure inner planks are cut correctly to fit
View attachment 316407
Painted
View attachment 316404
Adding the whales ( Position measured directly off plan. Upper two whales are 1 x 3.5mm x 3 each, lower is one 1 x 4x.5mm & the other 4 1 x 4mm std planking. These were also contact adhesive laid. Once on laid they are hard to see at a distance. ( the light lank is not missing its juts that colour on hull
The Actual plans ( not the Kit ones or suggested method) have the whales consisting of Anchor cut stock laid end and butted up. I had considered this, but at the size & thickness ( 1mm) and when painted and sanded it becomes invisible at this size. After due consideration the effort for me and my eyesight it would not have justified the final result ( at 1.48 yep but at 1:72 no)

View attachment 316405

The gun ports were fairly easy in the end. I did the vertcle sides first ( the middle gun port level was easy as one side of the ports lined up with the internal bulkheads so was easy to fix in place.) I used PVA contrary to suggested CA(Quick hold but fragile). Using the special applicator, the amount of glue and the lightness of the cut piece held in place till the PVA dried.
View attachment 316414View attachment 316413View attachment 316412
Once the glue had dried for one side the other was added. The bottoms where then simply then pressed into position and held byt the sides and slight over length pressure. Once these were dry, it was flip the hull and repeat for the port tops. I was lucky and only dropped 4 into the hull ( 2 shook back out, so I still have 2 rattlers!. In the end it was a fun process with very little vocalization!
View attachment 316403
Finally the paint separation & waterlines have been marled on the hull. The lines do not follow the whales or the gunpurts and vary significantly in size from on end to the other. These postions other than the waterline are not any of the plans but are deriveded from a series of photos in the build instructions.
View attachment 316402

Good morning Paul. A whole lot of progress performed spot on. Looking great. Cheers Grant

Greetings all

View attachment 316401
Adding piece by piece
View attachment 316406
View attachment 316407
Painted
View attachment 316404

View attachment 316405

View attachment 316414View attachment 316413View attachment 316412
View attachment 316403
View attachment 316402

Dear Paul.
great progress, Looking Wonderful

Video up of whales / gun ports.

Working on 3000 copper plates ( about 800 in...). Easy to do but slow going to prevent CA sickeness. (About 50 a day over 2-3 hours spread). For AUS members I purchased Shane's Shed 'CA' glue on his ebay store. Great value & quality glue. HE has thin, med, thick, Xtra thick and Ultra Thiick in 50gm bottles for around $12au per bottle.

Nice progress! I just bought this kit myself although I have put it away for a while as I'm building my first kit at the moment and want to build a couple more before I attempt the Victory. I have been following your videos on YouTube from the start and only just found this log to follow along with also. I guess that makes me a stalker ;)

Nice progress! I just bought this kit myself although I have put it away for a while as I'm building my first kit at the moment and want to build a couple more before I attempt the Victory. I have been following your videos on YouTube from the start and only just found this log to follow along with also. I guess that makes me a stalker ;)
I, too, have this kit. I am waiting to relocate to another state before I start. The advantage is that I can start a shop organized to building rather than my existing conglomeration in a crowded bedroom.

Back