Hms Victory by Caldercraft - Build Log

I think it is time for another update, I got the stern fascia mostly done, I am happy with the results, but again a lot of frustration to “do it the way the picture shows”. I didn’t get the yellow highlight pain right around the windows in retrospect, and struggled with what was right and how it all fit, but in the end I think it came out okay. I will start on the side galleries now. I am still working on the victory nameplate, trying to decide if I want to use the plate in the kit, or try to apply individual letters like the real ship has. I am planning ahead and realized my hobby lathe is not big enough to turn the main and fore mast, so I am going to have to get creative with that. Not sure if it is worth a new lathe.

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I think I have the stern done except for the final touchups as I get closer to being done. I managed to bend the brass rails minimally, and am okay with the outcome I guess. I am not sure how all the stuff was suppose to fit but I think it came out okay. I got the fenders on but had to use some fill to fill in some gaps. I am going to turn the boat around now ( nice turn around cruise like the constitution) and work out the forward two gunports that have to be carved out of the hull and then try to figure out how to bend the brass rails for the bow continuation. I have no idea how I will do that but I will try. I have a propane torch I could use to heat them but afraid I can’t handle them when they are that hot, maybe put in boiling water???? It would be something at least..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

To bend brass (or straighten it) it is best to anneal it. This is basically softening, and in brass or copper it works the other way to tempering steel which can be hardened by heating and sudden cooling. Heat the brass very briefly to just about red hot. As soon as you do that drop into cold water. You will find that it becomes relativel soft an pliable. It will naturally re-harden over time. Practice on a bit of spare brass wire first, and be careful to keep the 'red hot' part of the process very very short or you might melt some brass alloy mixes.

Back