HMS Victory - 1:98 scale. Mantua Model

My second ever wooden model ship.
Hopefully putting into practice, lessons learned from building the Halcon and taking on board the excellent advice from members on this site.
HMS Victory is currently in dry dock at my "shipyard", with the false keel clamped in the jig. 18 bulkhead frames and first deck ready to glue in place.20230614_150845.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good so far. I am just a bit farther along with mine. I have some planking done. It is currently stored and will be worked on later this fall along with my USS Constitution. Good luck and I will be interested to watch your build.

Thanks Patrick. I'm currently sanding down those horizontal strips as I haven't yet got the small hand plane that they recommend.
USS Constitution is quite a model. Looks to be a lot of work from what I've seen in the Web catalog.

Thanks Patrick. I'm currently sanding down those horizontal strips as I haven't yet got the small hand plane that they recommend.
USS Constitution is quite a model. Looks to be a lot of work from what I've seen in the Web catalog.
Yes it does. I got the book and other manuals for it as were recommended. It may be to much for me too but I plan to take my time and use this great source when I get stuck.

who manufactured the kit? DO you have videos to help you through?
I am putting my first wood together. HMS Beagle by OcCre. The directions are only color pictures. Nothing written. I can scan a code but that doesn't have verbal instructions either.
John Aliprantis has great videos on wood ship models on you tube. Been building for 20 years. His videos are great. But Because this is my first wood boat I don't want to make any mistakes.
Do either of you know someone making detailed videos to build these boats from start to finish in English? Having a second video will be a great help. what one doesn't cover the other probably will.
What jigs and cutting tools do ya'll consider to be essential.

Well, work on the Victory has come to a halt due to sorting out a leaking shed roof and fitting out a new bathroom. Not exactly the ideal situation in our current heatwave.
Victory resumes hopefully in a few more days.

Work is finally underway again. I've just finished planking the middle deck. Next job is to give that deck a coat of varnish. (To protect it from glue spills according to the instructions. 20230815_211141.jpg

Get a copy Arthur Bugler's book. It will be very helpful.
I would like to follow both your builds. Is it possible to get some king of msg when an update is posted. I looked up Arthur's book titled hms victory. Almost $500

Work is finally underway again. I've just finished planking the middle deck. Next job is to give that deck a coat of varnish. (To protect it from glue spills according to the instructions. View attachment 389698
Good morning. Good to see another Mantua Victory. It is a fun ship to build. I don’t know if the 1:98 is a similar build pattern to my 1:72, however I would consider fitting the cannons to the middle deck prior to fitting the top decks. They are a mission to insert with the top decks on especially if you are going to rig the cannons. Have loads of fun it is an impressive ship. Cheers Grant

Cheers Grant. It's only my second ever wooden ship. My first was the little Halcon schooner. I think that I spent more on rigging blocks etc., than what the kit cost me.
The Victory promises to be a challenge. I've done loads of research, got loads of photos and I am hoping to follow the colour scheme that the current restoration project is giving her. Cheers Tony.

Step 6 completed with varnishing the middle deck. This is now step 7 and fitting the main deck. I put the masts in just to check alignment all around. Although all 3 are perfectly in line and vertical when viewed from the bow end, side on, the main mast leans slightly to stern, compared to both fore and mizzen which are vertical. Looks like I might have to tweak the holes in lower and middle decks.20230817_170025.jpg

I would like to follow both your builds. Is it possible to get some king of msg when an update is posted. I looked up Arthur's book titled hms victory. Almost $500
Hi EZ, if you tap on the name of the poster, an option comes up to "Follow", so I would imagine that would notify you of updates.
Cheers Tony.

From what I found on the plans and research on the Web, it would appear that the different rake for each mast is correct.

Good progress - the decks are mainly prepared,
there is now only some planks for the hull necessary ;) sometimes it feels like never ending :cool:

Bowsprit deck, aft cabins and top deck all in place. Decks planked, sanded and varnished. Now the first hull plank is in place on either side. Have just ordered more pins from Amazon, will be here tomorrow, otherwise I'm only going to be able to do one pair of planks per day.
I've used white wood glue so far, but Mantua's instructions say to use aliphatic or vinyl glue for this stage. It definitely needs something faster than white wood glue for hull20230824_151935.jpg planking, or it will take forever.

Whilst waiting for glue to dry, I've skipped further into the instructions to see if there are other bits that I can build ready to fit later on. I got to Step 16, which says "Glue the walnut mouldings (mm 1,5x6x700) as shown on the 1:1 scale plan and build the hand-rail of the banister & the stanchion supports with walnut 2x4 mm strip".
What? Where? There's no indication on said plan to identify what this is talking about.

I believe this is a later revision of the #776 kit as looking at other folks builds of this #776 kit, the older kits seem to be lacking in meaningful instructions.
The instructions with my kit seem pretty clear up to this point at step 16, with a drawing in the instruction book, or reference to a diagram on one of the plan sheets, but this particular instruction has me totally confused. Is this something that I should know what it is by looking at the plan? If it is, then there's obviously something that I haven't learned.

Back