HMS Victory 1/96 by Shipyard

Maybe this drawing is helpful
View attachment 334869
Due to the fact that the muzzle is thicker at his end, also the carriage is in front smaller than at the rear
Thank you for the photo. I saw today what you said and I realized I had assembled the wheel supports reverse (front to back). I will redesign the carriages according to the image by calibrating the transom to fit my guns. Also the image has a lot of terminologies, something I lack of knowledge.

To the update: I glued the upper gun deck:
_DSC6038.jpg_DSC6039.jpg

The complete ship so far:
_DSC6041.jpg

The inner bulwarks, painted yellow ochre:
_DSC6037.jpg

The inner bulwarks dry fitted and with two cannons:

_DSC6034 - Copy.jpg

I noticed that the lower spacer (the piece between the two red lines on the front bulwark) is lower than it should be. That means after I glue the bulwarks I must cut the piece (thankfully its very easy) and reposition it accordingly to the gun ports.

Thank you all for your advises!!!

_DSC6034.jpg

Good to see you are running your wiring for the lighting as you go.
There must be quite a bit of forward planning to get the wires to where you want them.

Good to see you are running your wiring for the lighting as you go.
There must be quite a bit of forward planning to get the wires to where you want them.
Well, I glued some paper coffee straws to use them as channels but my main issue and the main reason I didn't move faster is that I want the cables to be as much as possible to be invisible. And this is the main reason I didn't glue yet the remaining pieces of the first planking. Also since its my first model of the ship I don't know exactly how much LEDs I need and at what places. I have seen many models of the ship but when I complete this I will have a much better perception about the placements. So the next ship maybe have a different lighting.

Thank you

Well I glued the inner bulwarks and while I eas waiting to dry, I decided to give another try to the carriages. The design is based on the image Uwek posted above.
The results:

Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_6.png
Screenshot_7.png
Screenshot_5.png
Screenshot_8.png

Thank you for your time and advises!!!

It's been a long time since my last time here. The reason is that I had problems with my 3d printer, the bed leveling but I finally managed to fix them. Then the filament didn't stick to the base so I needed to use paper tape. Finally I pushed accidentally the point I show at the image and it resulted again at wrong level, but I managed to fix it by lifting up again:
_DSC6049 - Copy.jpg

I finished the gun port frames:
_DSC6058.jpg

In the meantime I printed 36 carriages for the upper gun deck, I have to print ~10 more:
_DSC6050.jpg

I spend almost one and half, two hours trying to make the cannon rigging, to this result. I have to say that I don't like it and I must experiment more (sorry for the quality but I don't have macro lens yet) :
_DSC6051.jpg_DSC6053.jpg_DSC6057.jpg

And now some photos with the main deck dry fitted:
_DSC6042.jpg_DSC6043.jpg_DSC6044.jpg_DSC6045.jpg_DSC6046.jpg_DSC6048.jpg

Thank you for your time!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you, the truth is that this scale makes it a little hard some times, especially in the 12p guns, but that's the path, for the good and for the bad (although the good side of this kit is very nice and enjoyable, and the cannons is the only difficulty I had so far).

So I decided to make a break from the 3d print because mainly I had problem with the last cannons and also because I missed the work on the ship.

I fixed the cables to their positions:

_DSC6059.jpg:_DSC6062.jpg

_DSC6063.jpg

And then I painted black the silicone and the cables of the middle deck.
The good surprise at this stage was the fact that even unpainted I couldn't see the cables even under this DIY lamp which is around 50 watts:
_DSC6064.jpg
I imagine, painted will be even more difficult to be seen from the tiny gun ports with the cannons fitted in.

Well, its time finally to glue the rest pieces of the first plank:
_DSC6068.jpg

Here I decided to trim the edges of the frames because from the dry fitting I did the other day I realized that they wont match the necessary positions on the decks, and also they will not be seen at the end because of the gunwales:
_DSC6069.jpg
However I thought to left the first frame's edges uncut. Well, just for the moment. Maybe it's the wine's fault, but as soon as I grab the blade I forgot about that detail:D:D:D. Nothing is lost since it will not be seen....

At the next stage, I think I found another tiny detailed mistake at the kit:
_DSC6073.jpg
At the plan we see the part 40 is going forward and the part 41 after. Also the part 40 is bigger (at the plan) than the part 41.
If we dry fit these two parts, we observe that the part 41 is bigger than 40 and they don't fit very nice.
_DSC6072.jpg
I tried to reverse the order and place the bigger part (41) at the bow as the plan indicates and this much smoother result came:
_DSC6071.jpg

At the end I think it's just a tiny error at the plan numbering.

Thank you for your time!!!

Hello everyone!!!
Sooner this time since I managed to proceed with the first planking.
I completed entirely the one side and from the second I completed from the lower gun deck and above:
_DSC6076.jpg
_DSC6077.jpg
_DSC6079.jpg

The "planking" is relative uneven and rough but for that reason the designer has the second planking glued at 1 mm cardboard. I imagine it will be much smoother.
Again, a little mistake at the parts numbering/indication:
_DSC6074.jpg

Both sides are indicated with the letter L instead of L and P. However the parts are symmetrical.

Now, some thoughts. My initial plan was to complete the planking, to paint it with airbrush (much smoother effects than brushes) and then proceed with the details. This is the reason I haven't glue yet the details on the deck, and also the main deck. I will find hard to proper cover all these little details to protect them from the airbrushing. Of course the designer's plans saying a little different order. So this change of order requires a lot of study on the plans, on the details and the parts if I want to achieve a decent result.

One of the details that are meant to glued before the planking is the gallery, starting from this plan with the parts 47, 65, 76, 77, 78 (with red marker I paint the parts I already glued so I don't get lost/confused) :
_DSC6081.jpg

Well the part 65 is the last part of the main deck:
_DSC6082.jpg

And my thought is that since there is another part over the white area:
_DSC6083.jpg

I can cut the part 65, glue the white part, complete the gallery at normal order after the second planking, and paint them together. In that way I can preserve the deck and complete the external area of the ship. As for the part with the planks imitation, I will glue it when the time comes to glue the entire main deck.

At least, that's my thought for the moment, probably there is a better way I haven't found it yet.

Thank you for your time!!!

Thank you!!!
Hello everyone!!!
It's been a long time since my last post, mainly because obligations kept me away and secondly because I had hard time thinking about the airbrush and the possibility of whether or not I had to paint the paper or the cardboard. Specifically, so far the paint is much better on the cardboard than the paper and my initial thought was to remove the paper from the main planking and paint the cardboard. However some time I thought that with the airbrush maybe the paper comes much better that it came with the brush. But at the end I decided to not keep the paper because with pure cardboard it will be more even.
So from the next days I will start the last planking.

Well, I already have some photos from a side mission.
First, a photo from the cables before I close the hull:
_DSC6085.jpg

As for the side mission, I don't have yet airbrush and I thought to make the boats until I buy one. So that's the boat's keel (painted) and deck:
_DSC6087.jpg
I didn't like the way the boats are made so I took a little freedom. I created another piece of (well... I don't know how it's called, the inside part of the planking) the deck-y part which is shown at the corner:
_DSC6089.jpg
I took strips 2 mm x 0.5 mm and glued them:
_DSC6090.jpg
I sanded them:
_DSC6091.jpg
And with a knife I scratched the planks at the joints to make them seem like.... planks (see the difference between the photos) :
_DSC6092.jpg

Then I painted sand yellow the planks and flat yellow the gratings :
_DSC6093.jpg

At last, images from the rest of the construction:
_DSC6094.jpg_DSC6096.jpg_DSC6097.jpg

Thank you for your time!!!!

It's been a long time again, but because there was a time consuming work to be done.

More details:
I painted black the interior of the gallery and added the very inner pieces:
_DSC6101.jpg_DSC6102.jpg_DSC6105.jpg

FINALLY it's time to add the main planking pieces.
First I numbered every gun port piece I have to cut. The reason for this is to know where every piece goes later when I seal temporary the gun ports before the airbrushing. (I don't want to paint again the carriages or the interior):
_DSC6111.jpg_DSC6112.jpg

After, I removed the white pieces that hadn't glue and I re-glued them. It's important these areas to glue as best as they can. Parallel I unglued the yellow and black areas that were close to the white. This is because the yellow and black will be removed before the painting:
_DSC6113.jpg

In the process I found two minor mistakes. The piece 87p has no color:
_DSC6109.jpg
And these pieces don't have the same port detail (well, I can add during the painting process):
_DSC6114.jpg

Also (well this might be my mistake but I don't know) I had to cut the following piece in order to fit the two forward gun ports:

_DSC6119.jpg

This is the progress so far, with the cannons and the main deck dry fitted:
_DSC6123.jpg_DSC6124.jpg_DSC6126.jpg

Have a nice evening!!!
John

It's been a long time again, but because there was a time consuming work to be done.

More details:
I painted black the interior of the gallery and added the very inner pieces:
View attachment 339194View attachment 339195View attachment 339196

FINALLY it's time to add the main planking pieces.
First I numbered every gun port piece I have to cut. The reason for this is to know where every piece goes later when I seal temporary the gun ports before the airbrushing. (I don't want to paint again the carriages or the interior):
View attachment 339198View attachment 339199

After, I removed the white pieces that hadn't glue and I re-glued them. It's important these areas to glue as best as they can. Parallel I unglued the yellow and black areas that were close to the white. This is because the yellow and black will be removed before the painting:
View attachment 339202

In the process I found two minor mistakes. The piece 87p has no color:
View attachment 339203
And these pieces don't have the same port detail (well, I can add during the painting process):
View attachment 339204

Also (well this might be my mistake but I don't know) I had to cut the following piece in order to fit the two forward gun ports:

View attachment 339205

This is the progress so far, with the cannons and the main deck dry fitted:
View attachment 339206View attachment 339207View attachment 339208

Have a nice evening!!!
John
Hi IoannisK'
Great work.
Keep it up.

Hello everyone!!

I decided to begin my HMS Victory from paper, well actually my first HMS Victory, i want to make two of them eventually since i like very much this ship and i would like to decorate both my house and my father's.

So let's begin!! These two photos are from the first dry fitting:
View attachment 329682

View attachment 329683

So far nothing strange, with no difficulties except the cutting of 3 cardboards 70 x 50 cm 1mm.
So after the tests, i glued the parts.

At the next stage, when glueing the sceleton of the mirror, i found the first mistake of the kit. Minor mistake since nothing will be seen, but i decided to fix it: At the keel plan, the parts are shown exactly as is. But at the detailed view of the mirror, the keel is shown with the same cut as the pieces H1 H2 H3.
View attachment 329684
i did managed to fix it and it was the first tricky part of the project.
View attachment 329685

And the final result:
View attachment 329686

For this ship there are no many finished build logs online, but i found a good one at youtube. In that video, the internal parts of the ship that are shown from the cannon holes, are painted black, and i decided to copy the idea. I make a copy from the necessary parts and cut them to dry fit.
View attachment 329687
In the process i found that a specific part had an issue with the frame next to it. the result was this little gap which of cource its not important at last since its gonna fixed but...

View attachment 329688
In any other potition of the part 45l the frame was going at the center of the cannon hole wich i dont want:
View attachment 329689

The same issue exists and the top cannon deck but there dont cause issue since the frame doesnt reach the hole:
View attachment 329690
After that, i began the painting. I have to say i did two little mistakes here. I paint too high two specific frames and i lost the trace of the position of the four deck supports. At the stern side:
View attachment 329692

I start to place the supports but i didnt like the triangle-ish shape:
View attachment 329694

So with a piece of thread i made a "ruler" and i found that i had glue wrong the first piece:
View attachment 329695

and at the bow side the correct thing to do was to glue the frame reverse from the beggining , with the paper facing the stern instead of the bow, but thankfully i had the keel and it was easy to find the correct place.
View attachment 329693

Finally the result:
View attachment 329697View attachment 329698

The last detail for now, again at the mirror i cut these pieces according to the plan:
View attachment 329706View attachment 329707

So now i have the difficult work to cut 54 (maybe more if i forgot some) carriages for the lower gun decks....
Thank you,
John
Hallo @IoannisK
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back