HMS Terror

I'd hate to be a ships carpenter that had to tear apart and rebuild an iron banded mast at sea or on a beach somewhere. Rope wouldings(sp?) maybe, but iron would be tough.

I had read somewhere one reason for the built up mast is that with multiple sections combined they resisted damage from cannon blast better and if damaged, only one section had to be replaced which was easier to do than try to form a full mast section when not in ship yard.
This was maybe one reason - but repair on the main mast elements were problematic, because they needed lifting equipment to remove the mast, so such a "repair" was usually only possible in a shipyard

The main reason of a mast construction was simple and had two reasons, an I do not know which one was the most important.
1) A composit construction of the mast cross section is able to take more forces
and
2) there were not enough trees which were streight over the complete height and produce the correct thickness over the total height, which can be used for a mast
main mast.jpg
this is the main mast of the HMS Victory, the height of the mast over waterline is 62,5 meter (red) - in green is shown the height of the biggest mast element, which is appr. 40 meter long
In post #3 of this topic I showed already some drawings of mast elements - there is no tree growing fullfilling all the requirements.....

I would think that your #2 reason had more to do with it, as ships got bigger the masts had too also, both thicker at the base and top to hold the top masts that were added.

GV Division looking with interest your HMS Terror are you building it from a kit ? looking for my next model to build just finished HMS Victory regards Terence
Hi, I recently finished the OCCRE HMS Terror kit. It was my first and really enjoyed it and learnt a lot. Also an excuse to buy tools and books. Erebus and Terror together make an interesting story, with recent findings adding to the narrative. Would strongly recommend this model. Seagull Shipwright
IMG_2392.jpegIMG_2391.jpeg
PS sorry for the poor snaps reflections on the case!

I'd hate to be a ships carpenter that had to tear apart and rebuild an iron banded mast at sea or on a beach somewhere. Rope wouldings(sp?) maybe, but iron would be tough.
I would suspect the ship carpenter was one of the highest paid members of the crew. Similar to the town Blacksmith. Nothing keeps working without them.

I would suspect the ship carpenter was one of the highest paid members of the crew. Similar to the town Blacksmith. Nothing keeps working without them.
you are right. Maybe not a highest payment but certain privileges.....
In Navy the ship carpenter had the rank of an Warrant Officer and usually had their own cabin, also for storing the most important tools etc.

Carpenters were unusual in that many of them passed part of their careers as civilian employees of the Navy Board in the dockyards, and part as officers in the Navy. Although it was possible to serve an apprenticeship afloat as Carpenter's Crew and Carpenter's Mate, the majority qualified as shipwrights in the dockyards before going to sea, and some of the Master Shipwrights and their Assistants were former Carpenters who had returned to the yards.

you are right. Maybe not a highest payment but certain privileges.....
In Navy the ship carpenter had the rank of an Warrant Officer and usually had their own cabin, also for storing the most important tools etc.

Carpenters were unusual in that many of them passed part of their careers as civilian employees of the Navy Board in the dockyards, and part as officers in the Navy. Although it was possible to serve an apprenticeship afloat as Carpenter's Crew and Carpenter's Mate, the majority qualified as shipwrights in the dockyards before going to sea, and some of the Master Shipwrights and their Assistants were former Carpenters who had returned to the yards.

Thank you Uwek, good information.

Very nice, two questions: what scale was the ship built to? What is the material that looks like the ocean?
The model is 1:25 based on the plans by Matthew Betts. The plans are 1/1 that make cutting and sizing references easy!

The base of the model was a free down load from the internet, that my son enhanced with more suitable colouring. I had it processed as a poster at my local photo print shop and glued it to a 20mm thick piece of MDF. I am sure there are other aerial shots of the sea available.

FA585EA4-4257-402F-BC91-01BC14D77595.jpeg

Back