HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

I think I'll abandon using Blender for making 3-D models to print for the decorations in favor of using a much simpler program, Aspire. That program is made primarily for CNC routers, but can make the flat decorations for the Sovereign with reasonable detail. Why the switch? Well, I saw Tuvok's model based on the Amati plans for the Sovereign, and his results using Aspire are very good! I am super impressed. His build log in in Italian, on Modellismo IL HERE. Anyone serious about doing correct reproduction of the decorations on the Sovereign should check it out. As promised, when I eventually get the decoration 3-D files done for my model, they will be made available at a modest price for other modelers. They won't be up to @SZKUTNIK's standards, but they'll do.

Tuvok based his decorations on McKay's illustrations, which parallels my approach to making them:
1694764774198.png

Here are some of his results, made using a 3-D resin printer. I will copy his example:
1694764869978.png

Tuvok made vector drawings for the friezes in Aspire, then formed them into 3-D objects. I can't carve, so this is a good alternative.
1694765412282.png

I think I'll abandon using Blender for making 3-D models to print for the decorations in favor of using a much simpler program, Aspire. That program is made primarily for CNC routers, but can make the flat decorations for the Sovereign with reasonable detail. Why the switch? Well, I saw Tuvok's model based on the Amati plans for the Sovereign, and his results using Aspire are very good! I am super impressed. His build log in in Italian, on Modellismo IL HERE. Anyone serious about doing correct reproduction of the decorations on the Sovereign should check it out. As promised, when I eventually get the decoration 3-D files done for my model, they will be made available at a modest price for other modelers. They won't be up to @SZKUTNIK's standards, but they'll do.

Tuvok based his decorations on McKay's illustrations, which parallels my approach to making them:
View attachment 394627

Here are some of his results, made using a 3-D resin printer. I will copy his example:
View attachment 394628

Tuvok made vector drawings for the friezes in Aspire, then formed them into 3-D objects. I can't carve, so this is a good alternati

The Tuvok model is pretty remarkable in a number of ways. Unfortunately, he followed the McKay suggestion for the lower transom; square tuck sterns don’t look like that.

The ornamentals are incredible, though.
I know that Vectric Aspire has many versions(and prices) available. Which version were you thinking of buying. I have the Vcarve desktop version. So far all I have done is created small signs with it and my mini CNC machine. It's more complicated than I thought it would be. My machine does not have limit switches so I am always checking the cut path to make sure I don't break anything. Set z=5, or something above 0, which is the table and run just XY to see what happens.
I also have to double check the gcode just to make sure I don't get garbage in the file.

I have two choices now that I am looking at this. One is to use Vcarve to make the pieces or two is to make molds and create parts with resin. There is a fellow, Jay, that is doing this second choice and he seems to be getting really good results:

Last edited:
I know that Vectric Aspire has many versions(and prices) available. Which version were you thinking of buying. I have the Vcarve desktop version. So far all I have done is created small signs with it and my mini CNC machine. It's more complicated than I thought it would be. My machine does not have limit switches so I am always checking the cut path to make sure I don't break anything. Set z=5, or something above 0, which is the table and run just XY to see what happens.
I also have to double check the gcode just to make sure I don't get garbage in the file.

I have two choices now that I am looking at this. One is to use Vcarve to make the pieces or two is to make molds and create parts with resin. There is a fellow, Jay, that is doing this second choice and he seems to be getting really good results:
I don't have a CNC mill, so 3-D models will be created and printed on the 3-D resin printer (once I know what to do).

The Tuvok model is pretty remarkable in a number of ways. Unfortunately, he followed the McKay suggestion for the lower transom; square tuck sterns don’t look like that.

The ornamentals are incredible, though.
What's worse is he reworked his entire hull and put a square tuck on and removed the round tuck. However, he removed the decorations made with hardening putty (which looked really good) and is replacing them with 3-D resin printed decorations designed using Aspire, and those are a bit better.

I don't have a CNC mill, so 3-D models will be created and printed on the 3-D resin printer (once I know what to do).
Learning to print in 3-D is a learning curve in itself. I bought a nice 8K 3-D resin unit and have a time learning the set up process.

I have tried printing a caboose for model railroad hobby and had mixed results, have to learn the angle of dangle to get it to come out correct.

Great to see an update of sorts Kurt. I am familiar with Tuvok's model and it's presumably temporary day glow yellow decor but have not looked in on it in a while. Big shame he chose to alter the transom and the decor looked pretty good as it was. Each to their own

View attachment 394627

View attachment 394628

Tuvok made vector drawings for the friezes in Aspire, then formed them into 3-D objects. I can't carve, so this is a good alternative.
View attachment 394629
Looking forward to seeing yours!

Been catching up on this lovely build. Excellent detail and work.

Whatever software you end up using for 3D, I'm sure your work will be most excellent, especially with a new 8K printer! I'm at about the level of a brain damaged (but trained) monkey with Blender, but the possibilities... I hope to do blocks and guns, but I'm still working on the default cube in Blender...

Back