HMS Serapis - Scratch Build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Looking fantastic Brad you must be really pleased with your work so far, will you be painting or gilding the figure head,

Best regards John,

I've made progress on Cerberus, the 3-headed beast, and pet of the God Serapis, who guarded the gates of Hades. I tried to depict his heads as: 1) a hound, 2) a lion, and 3) a wolf. Cerberus is usually depicted on top a twisted snake body. A bit more sanding and a final coat of stain, then I will have to figure out how to permanently attach Cerberus to the figurehead so it looks like one piece of carving. So far, so good...3 headed beast.jpg
Figurehead 28 Jul2.jpg

I have placed the figurehead of the Egyptian Bey "Serapis" and his 3-headed beast "Ceberus", along with two sunset carvings. For a first try at carving bow decorations and a figurehead, I'm satisfied. I'm now going to return my attention to the intricate scroll-work that needs to be completed on the stern. Below is how they sit currently.13 Aug montage.jpg

Need feedback on Stern: Name or No Name? I've finished all the scroll work under the railings and am trying to decide if I should put SERAPIS, on the blank area above the rudder/lower cannon ports. The Roebuck plans (lead class of the ship) show her name in this spot. The Serapis plans don't show the name. Any thoughts appreciated!Stern 17 Aug 2021.jpg.

Need feedback on Stern: Name or No Name? I've finished all the scroll work under the railings and am trying to decide if I should put SERAPIS, on the blank area above the rudder/lower cannon ports. The Roebuck plans (lead class of the ship) show her name in this spot. The Serapis plans don't show the name. Any thoughts appreciated!View attachment 251078.
I think the name would finish her off nicely, she looks lovely,
Best regards John,

Need feedback on Stern: Name or No Name? I've finished all the scroll work under the railings and am trying to decide if I should put SERAPIS, on the blank area above the rudder/lower cannon ports. The Roebuck plans (lead class of the ship) show her name in this spot. The Serapis plans don't show the name. Any thoughts appreciated!
I would definitely give her a name, I'm in synch with Stephen and John but...I would embose\carve her name. ;)

Back