HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30

Hi Maarten,
every time I see your latest update on this superb kit, I am wanting to purchase it myself. Wonderful stuff.
Funny, for me it is diametrically opposite. It has been on my bucket list for a long time. Along with climbing Matterhorn, dating Doutzen Kroes and many other things I will most likely never achieve. But at least I can dream about them.

However, every update in Maarten's thread has made me desire this kit less and less. Now I have completely removed it from my list. I feel ambivalent and don't know if I should thank Maarten for saving me the 2,000$ or the opposite. I have removed it from my list because I would never be able to enjoy building it. Maarten has set the bar at a level that would make me feel like one big failure after another during the whole building process.

Last edited:
@Brian077 Exactly. If the goal is to emulate others, the risk is always there to feel inferior or experience failure - however, the little pleasures of accomplishing something that you didn't think you would be capable of in the first place, is what is truly rewarding.

Poul,
You develop your skills by reaching higher. When I started modelling I was in awe of the ship models made by the 'professionals' and was determined that one day I would get somewhere near. I'm not there yet, but I am really pleased with what I have achieved up to now, and fully intend to do even better.
If you want the Royal Caroline get it, and do your very best - I can guarantee you will be proud of what you achieve!

Ted

Hello Poul,

I can underline everyone word of Ted, Just because we cannot build as masters don't mean we shouldn't strive for it. You will be surprised by the results. We have Russian proverb: Eyes are afraid, but hands are doing! Go for it!!

Funny, for me it is diametrically opposite. It has been on my bucket list for a long time. Along with climbing Matterhorn, dating Doutzen Kroes and many other things I will most likely never achieve. But at least I can dream about them.

However, every update in Maarten's thread has made me desire this kit less and less. Now I have completely removed it from my list. I feel ambivalent and don't know if I should thank Maarten for saving me the 2,000$ or the opposite. I have removed it from my list because I would never be able to enjoy building it. Maarten has set the bar at a level that would make me feel like one big failure after another during the whole building process.
I am happy I could save you some money :). But no worries there is still plenty to improve about my RC build. It is actually the first kit I started building after 25 years of DIY in three houses but I am building models already since my 8th so for 40 years now. You will see when you start it that your skill will sky rocket, especially now with all techniques available to learn via internet.
I only can recommend to start with it and you will be suprized by your selve.

And in addition (for me) is the bigger scale of 1:30 - there are so better possibilities to make details (and to learn)
Step by step and post by post this kit is getting a fixed place on my wish list

And in addition (for me) is the bigger scale of 1:30 - there are so better possibilities to make details (and to learn)
Step by step and post by post this kit is getting a fixed place on my wish list
I agree - I'm liking it better and better, but I already have enough models in the pipeline - straying into SABLE country!

Ted

Both port lids are fitted, these are no gun ports but just for ventilation.
20200908_090856.jpg
I have fitted ropes to the eye bolts to open and close them. These ropes I have fitted with a splice to the rings.
To do this is rather easy.
Put the rope through the ring and glue it with a tiny dot of CA.
20200910_194931.jpg
Cut it to the proper length of the splice and untwine the ends of the rope.
20200910_195052.jpg
Now put some CA on the rope and twist the untwined ends around it by rolling your fingers, and you have a scale splice.
20200910_195234.jpg
Both lids are now finished and can be opened and closed.
20200910_195313.jpg
Next is fitting the safety chain to the rudder.
This is fitted between two eyebolts, on on the sternside and one on the rudder.
20200910_202101.jpg
20200910_202622.jpg

You'd think The Great God 'Gravity' would have been good enough to close these port lids.
No, the stern transom is under a negative angle so the port lid wil not fully close by the gravity alone.
20200910_201700.jpgsecondly due to the construction of the hinges on the outside it will be slghtly open even if the transom wasnt under a negatif angle.

Back