HMS Pegasus - by Amati [COMPLETED BUILD]

Nice job STGCS! I am at the same stage you are and am going to steal your idea of the horizontal template for my rat lines as well. Seems to me the rat lines should be parallel to the keel which in turn means I can come off my work surface as a reference, I think. What are you using as a reference?

View attachment 202373
Looks great Daniel. I also used the work surface/waterline as the reference for the ratlines. The first row looks a little odd to me because it's not parallel to the deck but the rest of them would look a whole lot worse at a slant. I use the template to tie the knots then a small metal ruler to tap the row into alignment. Here's what i've got so far. Can't wait to see how you deal with the running rigging. Cheers Charlie.Pegasus 147.jpg

Though a daunting task with much repetition this is one of my favorite things to do on the rigging. Rat lines are usually the first thing the eye catches when looking at a ship model its also an area thats unforgiving of sloppy work as it stands out very well, so I take my time and make sure this is as close to perfect as I can get it. You will do fine here you have an eye for the details and the means in skill set to get it done. Looking forward to your posts.
Coming along fine Joe. Don't really get bored because the back and arms force me quit after about an hour. Charlie ;)

I do use the paper behind the rat lines so I can see bette.
But never thought to draw lines to help with spacing. What a
great idea.

MAJOR MISTAKE!!! Doing the ratlines on the main mast was going well until I finished the port side and noticed I had the put the spacing backwards. There is a gap every 5 lines that is supposed to be on the aft side. OK on starboard but port got reversed. At this point I'm not going to rip out everything down to the deadeyes and start over. It will drive me crazy but most people probably won't notice it. At least in my circle of friends and family but you folks on this forum are pros and will pick it out in a heat beat. Guaranteed I won't make that mistake again. :mad:

Pegasus 148.jpg

MAJOR MISTAKE!!! Doing the ratlines on the main mast was going well until I finished the port side and noticed I had the put the spacing backwards. There is a gap every 5 lines that is supposed to be on the aft side. OK on starboard but port got reversed. At this point I'm not going to rip out everything down to the deadeyes and start over. It will drive me crazy but most people probably won't notice it. At least in my circle of friends and family but you folks on this forum are pros and will pick it out in a heat beat. Guaranteed I won't make that mistake again. :mad:

View attachment 202608

What mistake ???? Looks amazing. Well done !!!

Completed the ratlines for the lower masts. That mistake is driving me nuts. Next up are the futtock shrouds.
View attachment 202825View attachment 202826View attachment 202827

If it is making you nuts because you "see it all the time and you know is wrong and could be looks strange to you eyes" then fill the gaps with the rat lines. "Modelers Choice".

With a touch of CA glue using a toothpick. I will glue the tip of the new rat line to the knot and extend it and do the knot again. Done the gap is filled.

Or leave it as it is and don't think about it.

If you didn't mention "the mistake" I will never ever knew that was "a mistake".

Cheers
Daniel

Charlie,
A keen eye is a critical eye when it comes to looking for errors. It could be a conversational piece to leave the rigging as is. Just my thoughts.
Wonderful detail and love the color!
Dan

I would redo the ratlines on the main mast and do it right. It will bother you forever. The beautiful model will thank you!

Best regards
Thomas
As Dan suggested, it will stay as it is and become a conversational piece. I was going to rip it out until I realized I'd have to rip out both port and starboard because of the order of installing the shrouds over the mast head. Appreciate the input.

Back