HMS Medea (28) (1778) 1/48 scratch build

The double wheel is finished and ready to mount on the quarterdeck. The .023 mm (1' in full scale) rope from the rudder still has to be connected and that's going to be a real challenge but I want the rudder to turn from the wheel as it would in reality.

IMG20230102140121.jpg

Oiled with 50/50 linseed oil and turpentine.

IMG20230102140247.jpg

Once the rudder rope is connected I will plank the quarterdeck and fit the mizzen mast.

The double wheel is finished and ready to mount on the quarterdeck. The .023 mm (1' in full scale) rope from the rudder still has to be connected and that's going to be a real challenge but I want the rudder to turn from the wheel as it would in reality.

View attachment 348800

Oiled with 50/50 linseed oil and turpentine.

View attachment 348801

Once the rudder rope is connected I will plank the quarterdeck and fit the mizzen mast.
Thanks for all the likes. This was a huge step for me in my attempt to scratch build almost everything for HMS Medea.

As Medea is a sister ship to Enterprise I gather a lot of information from all the Enterprise build logs and that is a great help, although I want Medea to look like a ship at war, so nothing too pretty or new about her.

I haven't made much progress since my last post due to worsening health.
However tomorrow I'm undergoing major surgery and hope that after the long recovery and rehab I will back in the yard and getting more done on my pet project.

View attachment 380593View attachment 380594
Good luck with your surgery, I am wishing and hoping it will go OK and you will return to our hobby

I wish success in the surgery and a complete and speedy recovery and that you will return to enjoying life and the hobby
Thanks Shota

The operation was a success and not as serious as first thought. I'm going home on Thursday. So long as I can see my ship I can plan what I will do when I get stronger.

:) I'm happy to hear that the surgery went well, wish you a complete and quick recoveryThumbsup

Well it's just over a month since my surgery and I must say I have been able to take on a bit of simple hand tool work on Medea.

Firstly I fitted the removable rear section of the quarterdeck (to give viewing access to the main cabin).
IMG20230722140005.jpg
I had to cut out the bearers as I had set them too high. Later images will show the deck well below the stern gun ports. I also fitted the caps on the bulwarks.

Next I made a mizzen fife rail (which will double as a handle to lift the rear deck section). ;)

IMG20230725115213.jpg

IMG20230725134123.jpg
IMG20230725134206.jpg

Finally, today, I completed the rails around the stairs, and pricked the 'nail head' holes in the deck.

IMG20230726160835.jpg

Just for good measure, I glued the the chimney cap on the binnacle for at least the third time.....I used Weldbond this time so I'll see how that goes.

All in all very satisfying to be back in the shipyard and doing what I can.

Well it's just over a month since my surgery and I must say I have been able to take on a bit of simple hand tool work on Medea.

Firstly I fitted the removable rear section of the quarterdeck (to give viewing access to the main cabin).
View attachment 386753
I had to cut out the bearers as I had set them too high. Later images will show the deck well below the stern gun ports. I also fitted the caps on the bulwarks.

Next I made a mizzen fife rail (which will double as a handle to lift the rear deck section). ;)

View attachment 386754

View attachment 386756
View attachment 386757

Finally, today, I completed the rails around the stairs, and pricked the 'nail head' holes in the deck.

View attachment 386758

Just for good measure, I glued the the chimney cap on the binnacle for at least the third time.....I used Weldbond this time so I'll see how that goes.

All in all very satisfying to be back in the shipyard and doing what I can.
welcome back, it is looking great :)
wish you full recovery

Great job, I want to join Paul and Shota, welcome back and speedy recovery.
Thank you Paul, Shota and Tobias for the encouragement.
All is going well and I'm managing to get a little bit done on the ship each day. More images to come when I complete the quarterdeck railings and swivel gun mounts.

Slowly, slowly. Only one railing done. I broke the other one and decided to start again another day.

Here is the broken one and the hollow brass I used for the posts, with a blackened nail as the cap.

IMG20230731155334.jpg
IMG20230731155456.jpg

I'm satisfied with my first attempt. Not perfect but I am prepared to accept some imperfections as this is a warship which has been fighting at sea for 3 years without docking.
IMG20230731161803.jpg
IMG20230731162849.jpg
IMG20230802165803.jpg
Thanks for all the likes and encouraging comments. I try.....

Back