HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

It looks that you can do the planking job without steeler planks. Thumbsup
YES - Until now I think, that there will be no stealers necessary - I will do everything to avoid them

One question about sealing the planks, how did you do it?
Until now the hull planking wood surface is not treated at all - later on I will use Clou - as I did on the rest of the inside on this model

Witaj
Uwe pięknie tak trzymaj a poszycie będzie super , uszczelnienie to czarny papier? Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Uwe, keep it that way and the covering will be great, is the seal black paper? Regards, Mirek
The "caulking" between the planks is done like I did on the deck planking with two sides / contact areas "painted" with black ecoline

Many Thanks also to @Keef , @mtbediz1 , @shota70 for the nice comments and all other members hitting the "Like"-button - much appreciated

Bonjour Uwek, félicitation pour votre 'Granado'. Si je me lance sur ce projet, votre journal de construction sera une référence.
Pourriez-vous faire des photos en vue de dessus de la partie inférieure de la coque afin que je regarde quelques détails des aménagements intérieurs.
Merci d'avance et bonne soirée.

Hello Uwek, congratulations on your 'Granado'. If I embark on this project, your construction log will be a reference.
Could you take some top view photos of the lower part of the hull so I can see some details of the interior fittings.
Thank you in advance and have a good evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonjour Uwek, félicitation pour votre 'Granado'. Si je me lance sur ce projet, votre journal de construction sera une référence.
Pourriez-vous faire des photos en vue de dessus de la partie inférieure de la coque afin que je regarde quelques détails des aménagements intérieurs.
Merci d'avance et bonne soirée.

Hello Uwek, congratulations on your 'Granado'. If I embark on this project, your construction log will be a reference.
Could you take some top view photos of the lower part of the hull so I can see some details of the interior fittings.
Thank you in advance and have a good evening.
I changed the order of construction, due to the fact, that I cut the hull vertical in two half, so therefore I did not finish the interior of the hull, I prepared only parts of it like some decks and the mortar beds

Maybe you chack this (and following) post(s) where the inner planking is complete

this post is showing the end of the interior praparations (up to know) - afterwards I started to make the deck structure to get the structure riggit enough for the Main cut

When the outer planking is finished (I am working in moment) I will restart the ineterior works

Before I am able to close the planking, some pencil marks for the treenailing have to be made.
So I tried to mark the center of each frame on the planking

IMG_4080.jpg

It also now more or less the latest possibility to plan the correct width of the last planking rows

IMG_4081.jpg

also necessary to check the possible locations of the necessary butt joints of each planking row - so that the final joint pattern makes some sense

IMG_4082.jpg

OK - the next plank will be the row directly at the keel (row 24) , so I can work from both sides to close the planking

IMG_4083.jpg

The planking order will be -> row 24 -> 20 -> 23 -> 21 -> closing with 22 (something like this, but I will see)

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued

Before I am able to close the planking, some pencil marks for the treenailing have to be made.
So I tried to mark the center of each frame on the planking

View attachment 420470

It also now more or less the latest possibility to plan the correct width of the last planking rows

View attachment 420471

also necessary to check the possible locations of the necessary butt joints of each planking row - so that the final joint pattern makes some sense

View attachment 420472

OK - the next plank will be the row directly at the keel (row 24) , so I can work from both sides to close the planking

View attachment 420473

The planking order will be -> row 24 -> 20 -> 23 -> 21 -> closing with 22 (something like this, but I will see)

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued
A nice approach for the closing of the hull, Uwe. Always good to have a plan. ;)
Regards, Peter

Many Thanks to @Nomad , @Peter Voogt and @AnobiumPunctatum for your comments and also the likes received

Christian,
I am not fully convinced about the correctness of your given information. Or maybe better - I am not sure, if the way you described is looking really good on the model.

Let me explain my situation and my planned way

As mentioned earlier I want to follow in some principle ways the existing model of Lightley

l5780_004a.jpg

In the Anatomy book are some detail photos printed giving a closer look at the treenailing made by the modeler.

IMG_0675.jpg IMG_0677.jpg

l5780_004aaa.jpg

Here the modeler made only on some areas treenails, definitely not at every frame of a double frame. He did not follow really the framing. So not a good reference.

In the Anatomy book Goodwin is showing only some treenails above the waterline

IMG_2440.jpg

So not helping us very much

You mentioned to make two nails on each connection with every single frame, means on double frames four and on triple frames (which we have also on this model) six nails - this would look like this

IMG_4081b.jpg

This would be a lot of nails, and I am unsure, if this was technically on the real ships really necessary - from which source do you have this information? I am eager to learn. I am also in moment not aware, if there is any model existing showing such a nailing, or a modeler doing the nailing in this way.

But I think, that already based on the estethical point I will only double nail each connection between a plank and a frame (single, double or triple) - something like this one

IMG_4081a.jpg

In addition, just to make some brainstorming and collect information:

OK, it is french, but the technical necessity was the same.
French 74-gun ship by Jean Boudriot, with their typical double framing all over the ship is showing also only two nails (wood plus metal) per double frame

IMG_16741nails.jpg

"each plank is fatsened to each BEND by a nail and a treenailin staggered row"

Uwe,

AotS and also the modern model are showing in my opinion a stylized fastening of the planks.

I can only refer to some books, which give information:
  • Goodwin "The Construction and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War", page 60 ff.
  • Lavery "Building the Wooden Walls", chapter 6 and further
  • Dodds & Moore "Building the wooden Fighting Ship", page 82, 83
If you do not have the books, please let me know.

I would follow the sheme of the last book. There is a picture of a contemporary model, with a really nice sheme. It's different to what I wrote first. There is only one treenail in one frame.
Goodwin shows in his sketch both methods.

I am happy that you finaly agree somehow with my planned way of treenailing - and I did not make or will make a mistake.

The planking works is continuing - the plank close to the keel is assambled

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

and step by step - plank by plank I am closing the gap

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

I am happy that you finaly agree somehow with my planned way of treenailing - and I did not make or will make a mistake.

The planking works is continuing - the plank close to the keel is assambled

View attachment 421340

View attachment 421341

and step by step - plank by plank I am closing the gap

View attachment 421342

View attachment 421343

View attachment 421345

View attachment 421344

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....
Incredible planking Uwe. This is going to be a beautiful model to be proud of

It is still bothers me - the tree-nailing pattern of the outer planking

Based on the comment made by @AnobiumPunctatum some days ago, I am looking around with open eyes and looking on treenailing patterns

@Tobias is building his La Palme, based on the drawings of the L´Amarante, drawings by Gerard Delacroix,

eZy Watermark_14-01-2024_01-54-00-4100PM.jpeg

and checking also the photos of my planset review

we can see, that Gerard was showing two treenails per half double frame

1.JPG

I do not have the monograph by hand, but there was maybe written, why this ship had a different treenailing like Boudriot showed in his 74-gun ship.

From esthetical point of view I am not completely happy with this pattern, but I wanted to show, that it was existing

The final planking works are done and the hull is closed - on one side, the other side will stay open to see the framing

the last planking strip towards the bow is prepared for inserting

IMG_4105.jpg

these planks, which can not be fixed with any clamps (which I have) are fixed with partly CA-glue and also wood glue

IMG_4107.jpg

the plank is fitting well

IMG_4108.jpg

the last plank - now "only" to sand the form of the plank to fit

IMG_4109.jpg

and done

IMG_4110.jpg

some final views along the hull - no sanding was done until now - this will be done together the treenails are installed

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

and the total side view

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

At the end I am more or less happy with the result

Next will be the treenailing of the hull - 55 frames with 24 rows of planking and 2 nails per frame / plank connection => slightly more than 2.600 treenails

ONLY 2.600 treenails !!!

Could be worse - if it would be the L´Amarante it would be 5.200 nails only for the half hull

I need some more packages of toothpicks - many thanks for your interest .... to be continued ......

The final planking works are done and the hull is closed - on one side, the other side will stay open to see the framing

the last planking strip towards the bow is prepared for inserting

View attachment 421763

these planks, which can not be fixed with any clamps (which I have) are fixed with partly CA-glue and also wood glue

View attachment 421764

the plank is fitting well

View attachment 421765

the last plank - now "only" to sand the form of the plank to fit

View attachment 421766

and done

View attachment 421767

some final views along the hull - no sanding was done until now - this will be done together the treenails are installed

View attachment 421768

View attachment 421769

View attachment 421770

View attachment 421771

and the total side view

View attachment 421772

View attachment 421773

At the end I am more or less happy with the result

Next will be the treenailing of the hull - 55 frames with 24 rows of planking and 2 nails per frame / plank connection => slightly more than 2.600 treenails

ONLY 2.600 treenails !!!

Could be worse - if it would be the L´Amarante it would be 5.200 nails only for the half hull

I need some more packages of toothpicks - many thanks for your interest .... to be continued ......
Good afternoon Uwek. We have all seen your skills time and time again so it is no surprise that this is brilliant planking. Explosion
ONLY 2.600 treenails !!!
Eish…..going to to fun….:rolleyes:
Cheers Grant

Back