HMS GANNET

Now finished my usual very rough Hull build! It has holes, gaps and very uneven planking, so the hard work begins to try and make something decent out of it, I fancied building this model as I find the forecastle and poop deck very interesting but only temporary screwed down, also like the forward gun positions and high Gunwales.
Very difficult to build the Hull as I had nothing much to go by, the book I bought has a nice illustration of the ship which gave me a start, I also had someffaded plan which gave me the initial width of the top deck etc, the rest was guesswork and using my imagination. Although I had no plans for my scratch built Royal Clipper and HMS Warrior.

The temporary stand has been rescued from the wreckage of SS Great Britain! I will start adding and taking of wood before I put on the final planking.

So wishing all Members a Happy and HEALTHY New Year
Paul

View attachment 348881View attachment 348882View attachment 348883View attachment 348884
She definitely looks different Paul.
I am sure you will have that hull looking ship shape in no time.

Now finished the hull and deck planking, found drilling the portholes to a certain depth and keeping the drill bit from wondering difficult but it will have to do, also drilling the deck planking for the tree nails another difficult job for me to be accurate and in the right place! never learnt how to do it well. I find it amazing how some of our brilliant members can do such superb jobs and the laying out of the planking.
Next I will finish of the deck planking to take the railings and make the funnel support base and other sky-lights etc have no plans etc for measurements and positions but will rely on photos and guess work.
All keep well
Paul20230417_124835.jpg20230417_124858.jpg20230417_124924.jpg20230417_124937.jpg20230417_125004.jpg

20230417_124910.jpg

Well, don't complain because you are doing very well. It's a lot of patience work
Cheer up
Hello John
Thanks for your letter, I am happy how I am building HMS Gannet, I just find certain things difficult for my skills but I just do what I can do!
Tried to type Hello John in Spanish but it just translate to English.
I stlll miss Espana!
Paul

I have decided to finish this project now, so it's a basic hull model. just did not want to get on with the masts and rigging. Just getting old now 81.
This will be my last scratch build as in the last few years I have tried to do things a bit different, not well done but interesting. Such as HMS Warrior with the port side open, PS Waverley showing the paddles, engine, restaurant etc. The Royal Clipper, modern 5 masted cruise ship, built with no plans etc only photos, HMS Victory Open Deck View,
HMS Victory 7 decks and finish with HMS Gannet.
Enjoyed them all as scratch building is the ultimate challenge but very frustrating especially to think what's needed.
Now I'm back to KITS, just ordered Harriet Lane Gunboat which looks interesting.
So all keep well
Paul20230820_091210.jpg20230820_091228.jpg20230820_091241.jpg20230820_091316.jpg20230820_091340.jpg

I have decided to finish this project now, so it's a basic hull model. just did not want to get on with the masts and rigging. Just getting old now 81.
This will be my last scratch build as in the last few years I have tried to do things a bit different, not well done but interesting. Such as HMS Warrior with the port side open, PS Waverley showing the paddles, engine, restaurant etc. The Royal Clipper, modern 5 masted cruise ship, built with no plans etc only photos, HMS Victory Open Deck View,
HMS Victory 7 decks and finish with HMS Gannet.
Enjoyed them all as scratch building is the ultimate challenge but very frustrating especially to think what's needed.
Now I'm back to KITS, just ordered Harriet Lane Gunboat which looks interesting.
So all keep well
PaulView attachment 390619View attachment 390620View attachment 390621View attachment 390622View attachment 390623
What a fantastic model

Back