HMS Enterprize 1774 1:96 von Modelship Dockyard

Hello everyone,

On Tuesday I received the beautiful kit of the HMS Enterprize 1774 1:96 from Dry-Dock Models & Parts.

It has very cleanly lasered parts and very detailed CNC milled parts made of boxwood such as the figurehead and the transom, which are also included as a 3D printed version.
There are also 3D prints of the cooking area, the steering wheel, tiny columns, lanterns and much more. There is also a large etching board with some very tiny parts. 2 plans in original size, one with 3 side views and one with the deck details in plan view, there are also countless plans for the construction of the frames. You can download the construction plan from Dry-Dock Models.
The slipway and some templates are laser cut from plywood.

Now there is a small selection of pictures

Greetings Mario

View attachment 420802

View attachment 420803

View attachment 420804

View attachment 420805

View attachment 420806

View attachment 420807

View attachment 420808

View attachment 420809

View attachment 420810

View attachment 420811
Hallo Mario alias @empe
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I love to sanding
I hope, i can Show a little more at Augsburg
I enjoy sanding too. The beautiful lines of the hull become apparent after the hours spent sanding inside and out.
She is coming along well. Enjoy your build.
Regards
Rick

Schleifen macht mir auch Spaß. Die schönen Linien des Rumpfes werden nach stundenlangem Schleifen innen und außen deutlich.
Sie kommt gut zurecht. Viel Spaß beim Bauen.
Grüße
Rick
Thank you

it was definitely time for an update ..... you can make them so often as possible -> we like photos very much

your frames are looking good - step by step and frame by frame

Hello friends,

no construction progress this time.
Yesterday a nice meeting took place in Augsburg Germany.
I was also there with my HMS Enterprize. She has attracted some interest and some are asking about the big sister in 1:48.
Here are 2 pictures.
Mario

Shipmodelbuilders Meeting Augsburg South Germany.jpg

Shipmodelbuilders Meeting Augsburg South Germany2.jpg

Hello everyone,

Today I'm honoring Uwe's wish. He asked me to show step by step how I assemble the frames.
1. I mark the position of the spacers on the template.

IMG_1236.JPG

2. Find parts on the B-frame, remove them and label them.

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1233.JPG

3. After all parts of the two frames have been removed, use the templates to check whether they are really the right parts and, for the first time, whether they fit well.

IMG_1237.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG

4. Clean the adhesive surfaces from the laser carbon and check for accuracy on both sides.

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

5. Using the plan, check exactly which sides the parts have to be flush and where the edge has to be.

IMG_1250.JPG

6. Now glue and check again and again with the plan and the template, if everything fits, fix it with the clamps.

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

7. There is always a little more rework here (for technical reasons), but it takes less than 2 minutes.

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

8. Let everything dry overnight.

IMG_1268.JPG

Here's a quick picture to show how few tools I needed to get here.

IMG_1269.JPG

The next steps will be coming soon.

greeting
Mario

IMG_1249.JPG

Last edited:
Let's move on,

9. Next, the inside of the 3 frame parts must be cleaned and the protruding part on the contact surfaces must first be carved down with the knife and sanded flat with the file.

IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1291.JPG

10. Now transfer the position of the spacers to the frames and glue the spacers on.
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG

11. Now the frame is completed and the correct fit is checked using suitable means (in my case my small file).

IMG_1294.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG

12. and let it dry overnight again

IMG_1298.JPG

I usually have several frames under construction at the same time, in different steps

Continuation follows

Kind regards
Mario

Great step by step guidance. It is always handy to have lots of small clamps around when building POF kits.

I wish that someone in USA might set up such a meet as you have in Europe for meeting and seeing work done by those you only chat online with.

In my other hobby of Model Railroads, we have regional and national meetings and shows to see what is new and visit with old friends.

Great step by step guidance. It is always handy to have lots of small clamps around when building POF kits.

I wish that someone in USA might set up such a meet as you have in Europe for meeting and seeing work done by those you only chat online with.

In my other hobby of Model Railroads, we have regional and national meetings and shows to see what is new and visit with old friends.
There is a great ship modelling club in Denver, Colorado that meets monthly that is quite active. I would strongly suggest you look them up if you don't mind the drive. There are also some pretty large regional/national events here in the US as well. :)

Jeff

Is there a reason you did not taper the stem or knee of the head? For a 28 gun ship, vertically the stem should go from 15 inches wide and reduce so it matches the width of the keel at the bow. The knee of the head should reduce from 11.5" at the stem down to 4 inches at the foremost edge. I suspect many are unaware of this basic design feature and some may consider this a minor thing. In the end, as normal, its inclusion is up to the builder and the amount of accuracy they want to reach. It is a shame such a basic item is ignored or glossed over by all but one kit manufacturer.

Knee of the head parts 28 gun.JPG

Last edited:
1715773393100.png
Is there a reason you did not taper the stem or knee of the head? For a 28 gun ship, vertically the stem should go from 15 inches wide and reduce so it matches the width of the keel at the bow. The knee of the head should reduce from 11.5" at the stem down to 4 inches at the foremost edge. I suspect many are unaware of this basic design feature and some may consider this a minor thing. In the end, as normal, its inclusion is up to the builder and the amount of accuracy they want to reach. It is a shame such a basic item is ignored or glossed over by all but one kit manufacturer.

View attachment 447385
You're right. I did it on my own hoy as some tapering was strictly required by the jig pattern itself. Nevertheless, hardly any planset available in the market shows or explane that. I saw some museum models and the Leda class frigates by Seppings shoving even rounded cutwater's edges possibly in some streamlining attempt.

Nevertheless, hardly any planset available in the market shows or explane that.
It is my understanding that models from kit maker Vanguard mention this as an option for model builder in the instructions. Sadly, Syren is the only kit manufacturer of which I am aware that addresses important design characteristic in some detail.

View attachment 447385
Not that bad as leaving out all the hanging and lodging knees along with the notches for deck framing ,some manufacturer does that ,in this case is Syren .Those are major flaws in a otherwise very nice Pof kit, all the Chinese Pof kits I seen so far have these fratures ,tapering the bow is up to the builder not a feature or parts that should be include in a very expensive kit!

Back