HMS Blandford POF by Keith [COMPLETED BUILD]

Beautiful work, I really like the idea of building in all the deck structure, beams, carlings and ledges prior to removing from cradle! I removed my HMS Enterprise prior to that part, and it did cause some issues with proper alignment on frames. I had difficulty in seeing the stern cant frames for proper angle, and the bow frames. How did you overcome this? Thx, Paul

hi guys. Out of interest, l've been experimenting with blackening the cannon barrels supplied with this kit. l think this is much better than painting them, although the result is not truly black. Does anybody know if the gun barrels on a ship were actually black as would be achieved with painting or this kind of lighter, gun metal black? l do like this finish anyway.

View attachment 350230

View attachment 350231

View attachment 350232
Personally I also prefer the gun metal black, which seems to match the color of the guns on for instance the Batavia (not contemporary and the picture is not mine):
F2B707F8-A963-4B7E-A668-A229E4292841.jpeg
@DARIVS ARCHITECTVS opted for a bronze color: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...elievable-boundaries.6365/page-86#post-282345

Beautiful work, I really like the idea of building in all the deck structure, beams, carlings and ledges prior to removing from cradle! I removed my HMS Enterprise prior to that part, and it did cause some issues with proper alignment on frames. I had difficulty in seeing the stern cant frames for proper angle, and the bow frames. How did you overcome this? Thx, Paul
Hi Paul. Thanks for your comment. As you see, l did all work except the transom inside the cradle (jig) which was invaluable to line up the component parts. lt was especially useful helping with the exact placement of the deck beams, as the rib numbers are printed on the jig surface so you don't place the beam by the wrong rib and there are 62 of them.

Personally I also prefer the gun metal black, which seems to match the color of the guns on for instance the Batavia (not contemporary and the picture is not mine):
View attachment 350423
@DARIVS ARCHITECTVS opted for a bronze color: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...elievable-boundaries.6365/page-86#post-282345
Thank you very much for the photo. Very useful. l can now see the result of the brass blackening on the gun barrels is very much like the real thing. Excellent!

She is really a good looking model - Bravo my friend
and congratulations reaching this step - she is free now
Thank you very much Uwey. After seeing your Granado build log, that's a real compliment. It has inspired me for my next project after this one, maybe 6 months. It looks a great kit, although l will have to persuade my wife it's worth the investment. l have time to work on it :) . You seem to be in touch with the people at CAF Models, do you know if there are any problems with ordering or dispatch with the situation as it is at the moment in China with Covid?

Thank you very much Uwey. After seeing your Granado build log, that's a real compliment. It has inspired me for my next project after this one, maybe 6 months. It looks a great kit, although l will have to persuade my wife it's worth the investment. l have time to work on it :) . You seem to be in touch with the people at CAF Models, do you know if there are any problems with ordering or dispatch with the situation as it is at the moment in China with Covid?
There could be only delays in the moment, but usually not caused by CAF / Tom but with the postage

ou get Keif to do the inyThank you for your insightful comments on the kit, KEEF,I started to design Blandford in my spare time at the beginning of 2014. I didn't set up my own model studio until last year. Of course, we still have a lot to do,For example, the instructions are not detailed enough。Of course, we will continue to work hard to improve this in future products。
Thank you again for your support and wish you all the best
AMAZING Model but as you say the instructions are not good
May I suggest if you design another model you get Keif to do the instruction
I am consistently fighting to get this model correct
Often its obvious but its often tooo late to adjust an earlier problemBut YES an incredible Design and the accuracy is amazing
O

That's what l want to hear. Can you supply some details please?
PLEASE PLEASE get the instruction done on this new kit l Maybe get Keef to build the kit and provide instructions
An example is that while you say get the fillers cut to size it is essential that each one needs checking for thickness where the lower ribs go thiner
and also make sure they are shaped as well before fitteing - It looks as though i have taken too much off the frames and i should heve fitted each frame before shaping the next one
Dont know if it all makes sense
But if the quality is the same WOW

Today sees the completion of stage 2 of this Blandford build, the lower and upper deck timbers and the fixing of the rudder. l started work on the lower deck on 20th September last year, so 4 months to the day to complete the two decks, and 9 months on the project up to now. The next stage l shall begin with the planking of the inner bulwarks down to the upper deck timbers. Thank you for your likes and comments up to now, they are very much appreciated.

DSC05897.JPG

DSC05899.JPG

DSC05902.JPG

DSC05907.JPG

DSC05915.JPG

DSC05920.JPG

DSC05929.JPG

DSC05935.JPG

DSC05940.JPG

DSC05945.JPG

Accept my congratulations on the honorable arrival at the end of the significant phase with the model, there is no doubt that you have achieved both impressive and beautiful resultsExclamation-MarkOkay:)

Accept my congratulations on the honorable arrival at the end of the significant phase with the model, there is no doubt that you have achieved both impressive and beautiful resultsExclamation-MarkOkay:)
Thank you my friend that's very kind of you. Much appreciated. This is my first attempt at POF and l'm really pleased l chose this great kit as an introduction. Now l'm hooked. From now on can't see myself building any other type of project. Have my next build already lined up, but that's for later :cool:

You are building a gorgeous model, Keith. Apart from the accuracy and cleanliness of your build, i find the wood tones incredibly beautiful.

Continuing towards the bow with the lower deck timbers. The chain pump and galley stove have also been made up and fitted. l did a little extra work on the chain pump to give a bit more detail, as the one supplied with the kit was just the basic shape and needed a bit of livening up to match the incredible detail of the rest of this kit.

View attachment 332997

View attachment 332998

View attachment 332999

View attachment 333000

View attachment 333001

View attachment 333002

View attachment 333003
have you got photos of the galley and what bits are on the etch thanks

Continuing towards the bow with the lower deck timbers. The chain pump and galley stove have also been made up and fitted. l did a little extra work on the chain pump to give a bit more detail, as the one supplied with the kit was just the basic shape and needed a bit of livening up to match the incredible detail of the rest of this kit.

View attachment 332997

View attachment 332998

View attachment 332999

View attachment 333000

View attachment 333001

View attachment 333002

View attachment 333003
hi guys please make sure you fit the over before closing of the lower deck as keef has done. its not obvious from the instructions but once closed of it can be fitted - i had to cut the oven to drop it in !!
But the detail is amazing

Back