HMB Endeavour by Occre

That is one beautiful boat. Display case absolutely needed. i got a plaque with it’s name and date and then i thought i will get one with it’s history, like you did.

Hallo @Glasetj ,
you wrote in one of your posts "Open to any advise you may have!" , so I would like to show you a small principle error or mistake you did on your two models. Only to mention it, that you will not do the same on the Endeavour. I am looking at this, because I made the same error on my first ship model, and I was so happy, that a friend of mine mentioned this to me once showing him my first model. And you see this error often on models
You installed most of the rigging blocks in the wrong direction. Imagine, that a block has a turning wheel inside and the rope is running over this wheel
Screenshot 2024-02-16 083751.png Screenshot 2024-02-16 083825.png

I marked shortly the location of the holes in the blocks where they should be - hope it is understandable
The green one is correct - be sure, that this mistake you never will do again

Screenshot 2024-02-16 081822.png Screenshot 2024-02-16 082100.png

BTW: You are a very good modeler - we really can see, that you have fun and use very good techniques in your models -
I am pretty sure, that step by step you will really build very good models

Here are the building logs of the Endeavours by Occre what we have here in our forum

Hallo @Glasetj ,
you wrote in one of your posts "Open to any advise you may have!" , so I would like to show you a small principle error or mistake you did on your two models. Only to mention it, that you will not do the same on the Endeavour. I am looking at this, because I made the same error on my first ship model, and I was so happy, that a friend of mine mentioned this to me once showing him my first model. And you see this error often on models
You installed most of the rigging blocks in the wrong direction. Imagine, that a block has a turning wheel inside and the rope is running over this wheel
View attachment 428241 View attachment 428242

I marked shortly the location of the holes in the blocks where they should be - hope it is understandable
The green one is correct - be sure, that this mistake you never will do again

View attachment 428238 View attachment 428239

BTW: You are a very good modeler - we really can see, that you have fun and use very good techniques in your models -
I am pretty sure, that step by step you will really build very good models

Here are the building logs of the Endeavours by Occre what we have here in our forum

Thank you much. I thought about it initially and made the wrong decision. Those comments where very helpful. Much appreciated.

I’ve made the same mistake multible times. Some times it’s like “any hole in a storm”. When rigging I try to plan every move in advance. Treading the blocks eventually becomes second nature after awhile.
rigging is the fun part of ship building to me. It becomes an art.Keep plugging and remember every line has a purpose.This summer I’m going to Erie PA to sail on the Niagara . Cat’t wait!

I am also building HMB Endeavour at the moment. Below you will find a link to my build log, which I will be updating soon.
It is always fascinating to see how another builder interprets the model, so I am looking forward to your posts.
The best advice I can give you now is to get your hands on a copy of 'Captain Cook's Endeavour' (Anatomy of the Ship) by Karl Heinz Marquardt. The instructions that come with this model are not always clear and at times ambiguous. There are also a couple of evident design flaws (i.e. hawse holes, transom), but I suppose there is no model without those.
On my first build (HMS Endurance) I made the same error as you did with the rigging blocks.

Endeavour_001.jpg

I have also built Occre Endeavour, it is a challenging build but very rewarding. Build log is in my signature. As a member of the SOS forum I think it is worth doing a log as I found it very beneficial to see what others had done, their experiences and how they addressed either shortcomings in the model or indeed in their knowledge. Although I have completed my build I would look at your log with interest. Hope you enjoy the build.

Back