Hi from Toronto

I am a new member, currently building the Model Shipways Bluenose. My question, which has probably been answered somewhere in the bowels of the forum, is whether I should stain the deck (minwax) now, or wait until the deck structures and furniture are glued on. I think I know the answer, but it seems so much easier to stain the deck while it is clear of obstructions.tempImageyMiECl.jpgtempImagedfc3rB.jpg

Welcome aboard :) If it is waterbased stain I would think you could do it now (though I do not understand why you would want to stain the deck at all). But I'm a complete beginner so you'd better listen to some more experienced modelers. If it is oil based, then I'm quite certain you should not do it before everything is glued.

Welcome aboard SOS! We are happy you joined us! Have fun!

I can echo what Poul said. If the stain is water\spiritus based, then is it most appropriate to do it now so can process post stain without any obstructions. I guess, @PoulD Battrefingers want to darken the deck, that's why he wants to stain it, but I could be simply wrong.

Welcome aboard SOS! We are happy you joined us! Have fun!

I can echo what Poul said. If the stain is water\spiritus based, then is it most appropriate to do it now so can process post stain without any obstructions. I guess, @PoulD Battrefingers want to darken the deck, that's why he wants to stain it, but I could be simply wrong.
You are correct. I would like to darken the deck slightly. Any advice on water based stains?

Minwax has a nice selection. Just carefully read it is water-based. Also, depending on the timber type (the one you want to stain), the same stain may give different results.

Here is some additional reading

Minwax has a nice selection. Just carefully read it is water-based. Also, depending on the timber type (the one you want to stain), the same stain may give different results

Here is some additional reading

Welcome aboard :) If it is waterbased stain I would think you could do it now (though I do not understand why you would want to stain the deck at all). But I'm a complete beginner so you'd better listen to some more experienced modelers. If it is oil based, then I'm quite certain you should not do it before everything is glued.
I tried a few test strips with wood conditioner and stain, and was not happy with the results. It came out too blotchy and irregular. I finally used water based clear satin varathane and although a little light, I’m happy with the consistency of the colour.

Welcome my friend and to the Bluenose Group build! Your Model Shipways Bluenose looks great!

Very very close to making the announcement. They are just verifying the quality of the stern decorations.

I am a new member, currently building the Model Shipways Bluenose. My question, which has probably been answered somewhere in the bowels of the forum, is whether I should stain the deck (minwax) now, or wait until the deck structures and furniture are glued on. I think I know the answer, but it seems so much easier to stain the deck while it is clear of obstructions.View attachment 194797View attachment 194798
Hallo @Butterfingers
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I am a new member, currently building the Model Shipways Bluenose. My question, which has probably been answered somewhere in the bowels of the forum, is whether I should stain the deck (minwax) now, or wait until the deck structures and furniture are glued on. I think I know the answer, but it seems so much easier to stain the deck while it is clear of obstructions.
Hallo @Butterfingers ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY Birthday
Birthday-Cake

I am a new member, currently building the Model Shipways Bluenose. My question, which has probably been answered somewhere in the bowels of the forum, is whether I should stain the deck (minwax) now, or wait until the deck structures and furniture are glued on. I think I know the answer, but it seems so much easier to stain the deck while it is clear of obstructions.View attachment 194797View attachment 194798
Hallo @Butterfingers
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back