Help!

Can’t believe I didn’t realize this was incorrect until I went to lay the quarterdeck on it. Any advice on how to deal with this would be appreciated. Amanti Pinta. The quarterdeck is also warped but it was that way before I planked it.

02DF8185-2E6F-4B03-A641-03D6BEA0F433.jpeg

39E78FF6-9BA5-4EA3-91DC-E96C99E58354.jpeg

40F3B8A0-7390-4989-86C8-5C76F437D2D9.jpeg

Wow. You could wrestle the deck into position with glue, clamps, and patience, but it's warped so bad that it may never be straight. With all that planking on it, it's bound to be so stiff as to warp the frame if you try to lock it down. You could try soaking it in water and allowing it to dry overnight while being held in proper shape with weights or some other form. My advice is to cut it out INTACT with chisel edges razor knife to break the glue joints, use the deck it as a pattern and trace it onto new, thin beech plywood that you purchase, re-plank that, and make a new deck. If you keep going, you'll be fighting alignment problems for the rest of the build. Really sorry to see this setback. Steaming warped plywood that has a slight bend or twist is one thing. Trying to nail down a giant potato chip made from springy wood flat is another.

I see Titebond glue in the background.... if that's what you used to install the deck, use some rubbing alcohol applied with an eye dropper to loosen the joints before you disassemble it.

There is a lot of good advice here and I do not want to give the wrong advice. So, the piece in question looks like the quarter deck is one false piece that has planking on it (?) and is this piece stand alone that just needs to be glued to the frame(?)
If all of this is the case, then I would try soaking the part in water A LITTLE at a time (but you do not want the planking to come loose) - then slightly bend and let dry. Repeat this process over and over until it is becoming more conformed to shape. That is if you do not want to make another part.
I have glued many parts together with white glue and had to take a part. I used water on a Q-Tip (cotton tip applicator) - the white glue swells and becomes gooey and soft and the parts can be pryed apart with no damage. Then lets the parts dry and re glue.

Thank you all for the great advice. This group is awesome. I wasn’t totally clear with my first posts. I mistakenly glued the last right sided piece flush but at an angle. And yes the quarterdeck was warped. Here are some new pictures. I’m quite happy with the results. I ended up shaping a “shim” to fill the gap. I did soak the quarterdeck in water, thankfully the planking stayed intact. I have now started planking. BD831163-B079-4AB7-8CCA-D77A48281C29.jpeg

71923EB2-9FD0-4C92-9ACB-979F2A8F89FA.jpeg

C25B09D7-A54B-4744-A720-A9325AEAA3E2.jpeg

8A0A8E0B-2AB3-477B-B5DA-F8A1C18B4ABA.jpeg

B91A41F4-1158-4D41-901A-E94BEE7CE418.jpeg

The beauty of using PVA is that you can reverse any error through the use of 90% Alcohol as Ted indicated. PVA is your best friend. You could also make a temporary jig with the same lines as the frames, wet the piece and clamp it in place. Once it dries it will reflect the shape of the jig.

Thank you all for the great advice. This group is awesome. I wasn’t totally clear with my first posts. I mistakenly glued the last right sided piece flush but at an angle. And yes the quarterdeck was warped. Here are some new pictures. I’m quite happy with the results. I ended up shaping a “shim” to fill the gap. I did soak the quarterdeck in water, thankfully the planking stayed intact. I have now started planking. View attachment 342597

View attachment 342598

View attachment 342599

View attachment 342600

View attachment 342601
I just finished my Pinta yesterday, I reshaped the angle & added a shim & fitted the decks prior to planking, all went ok. Now just starting Santa Maria (Amati).

Back