Help with the Corel kit of HMS Bellona

I bought the kit about a month ago and I've spent the time since then familiarising myself with the kit. However, I've hit a few problems, that I wouldn't mind some help on.
First, there appears to be some materials missing from the kit. I noticed that I only had four lengths of ramin dowel for masts and spars, where I would have expected more . I got in touch with the shop I bought it from (Cornwall Models in England), and they gave me a contact in Corel. This person told me there should be eight lengths of dowel, which started warning bells ringing, so I decided to check on the other materials and asked Corel for a list of what should be in the box. Corel firmly declined to supply this, and just said that it's not their policy to do so. They also said that if I found anything else missing, I should apply to them, and they would replace the missing bits. as I live in New Zealand, and they're in Italy, this would put my build on hold for weeks at a time until I could be re-supplied. When I mentioned this to Corel, they weren't sympathetic in the slightest. When I also mentioned that with postage and packing, the cost to me was nearly $1000 NZ, again, no sympathy whatsoever.

I also found that all of the parts of the kit are pre-cut, this appears to be a feature of Corel kits, and most of the big parts have the part number stamped on them. However, there's a bag of small parts that have no number, things like mast caps, and knees. As they are all of different sizes, I have no idea where these parts are to be used.

If anyone has built this kit before or has any experience in a Corel kit of this complexity, I would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance,
George

Hallo George,
sorry to hear about your problems with the Corel kit.
I am not familiar with this kit, sorry. But in principle the direct seller is responsible for the completeness of the kit, so usually this should be all a problem by Cornwall Models.....
Nevertheless I hope, that somebody of our members is able to help you and give additional information with a parts list etc.

Thanks Uwek, I've been in a dialog with Corel, but I'm getting the same answer every time 'We don't supply a parts list'. I really am sorry I bought this kit.

Hi Shady,
even the best kit companies sometimes make mistakes and leave out items from the box. Some of the Italian model kit companies have poor customer service unfortunately.

I am not familiar with your model, but I am currently working on the Mirage, which is a Corel kit. I sort of used the rule "the biggest parts" go on the Main mast. Then next biggest part go to the foremast, and the smallest go to the mizzen mast. I don't know if this helps or not, but that's how I figured it out. Also, are your plans to scale? If they are then, you should be able to match the parts up with the plans.

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

I've been around ships and ship models to have a best guess as to what the parts are Jack, I think your idea of the biggest parts go to the biggest mast is dead on logic. The plans are to scale.... except when they're not. Unfortunately, Corel haven't used any kind of sign to tell me which is which. In an earlier life, if I'd been given plans like this, you would have heard me in Canada.

Hi Shady,
even the best kit companies sometimes make mistakes and leave out items from the box. Some of the Italian model kit companies have poor customer service unfortunately.
Don't I know it about the poor customer service. everything was great until I pointed out they might be wrong, and then the curtains came down. For example:
Me: Do you have a parts list so I can check what's in the box?
Corel: No, we don't supply a parts lists.
Me: There are some parts missing.
Corel If there are parts missing, that means the same parts would be missing in the production, but up to now we have had no complaints. However, packaging is done manually, so there might be errors.
Me: ??????
Me: Could I have a parts list to check if there are any packaging errors, the list that your packers use to package the kit will be ideal.
Corel: We don't supply a parts list.

Thats a pity. Its understandable that some of the old model kit companies have lost popularity in recent times with poor customer service and quality.

Thats a pity. Its understandable that some of the old model kit companies have lost popularity in recent times with poor customer service and quality.
That's true. I won't be buying a Corel kit again, and I won't advise anyone else to buy one either.

I've been around ships and ship models to have a best guess as to what the parts are Jack, I think your idea of the biggest parts go to the biggest mast is dead on logic. The plans are to scale.... except when they're not. Unfortunately, Corel haven't used any kind of sign to tell me which is which. In an earlier life, if I'd been given plans like this, you would have heard me in Canada.
Quite a frustrating situation.

I bought the kit about a month ago and I've spent the time since then familiarising myself with the kit. However, I've hit a few problems, that I wouldn't mind some help on.
First, there appears to be some materials missing from the kit. I noticed that I only had four lengths of ramin dowel for masts and spars, where I would have expected more . I got in touch with the shop I bought it from (Cornwall Models in England), and they gave me a contact in Corel. This person told me there should be eight lengths of dowel, which started warning bells ringing, so I decided to check on the other materials and asked Corel for a list of what should be in the box. Corel firmly declined to supply this, and just said that it's not their policy to do so. They also said that if I found anything else missing, I should apply to them, and they would replace the missing bits. as I live in New Zealand, and they're in Italy, this would put my build on hold for weeks at a time until I could be re-supplied. When I mentioned this to Corel, they weren't sympathetic in the slightest. When I also mentioned that with postage and packing, the cost to me was nearly $1000 NZ, again, no sympathy whatsoever.

I also found that all of the parts of the kit are pre-cut, this appears to be a feature of Corel kits, and most of the big parts have the part number stamped on them. However, there's a bag of small parts that have no number, things like mast caps, and knees. As they are all of different sizes, I have no idea where these parts are to be used.

If anyone has built this kit before or has any experience in a Corel kit of this complexity, I would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance,
George
Hallo @ShadyG
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks in advance,
George
Hallo @ShadyG
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back